Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The mystery of the "Yoke"

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default The mystery of the "Yoke"

I've read through the lift thread (partially, you'd have to spend 200 hours reading the whole thing. I will, when I have time.) and here and it seems a lot of people agree "Some need the SYE, some don't".

Why???? Are we all driving the same truck built in the same factory? I can't fathom why there isn't a simple answer to the need of a SYE. Is it some people are more vibration sensitive than others?

I'll admit, I know Jack squat about 4x4 systems, that why I'm hear trying to learn. I'd love it if there was a 90% or greater consensus of what height lift kit requires a SYE (or TC drop-spacers, for that matter).

I just don't know for the life of me why it's different for everyone??? Please help me understand if you are knowledgible in this area? Thank you!

I'm looking at a 3" lift for my 99" 4x4 4dr, and only had 2-3 people tell me I should be o.k. I just don't want to have my DD have more than on day's downtime but having to bring the main gear(think it's called that) to a machine shop, hopping they can squeeze me in and do a good job, right then-or within a day is what I'm not loving. But 2-3 people out of a huge forum (and seeing you may-you may not) kind of give more doubt to the mind.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

just depends on the jeep because it wears on the yoke differently. mine seems ok with 3.5" of lift on it but when i put in my shackles i am going with the rusty's 1" drop crossmember.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=xj_skid

one of the other members on here posted it up looks like a good deal and should remove and chance of vibes with 3" of lift.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:38 PM

I had bad vibes in my 1999 at 59mph when i went up to 3" of lift on 30" tires.

Even with an AX-15 which makes my drive line angles even less.

Jeep went the cheap way out and used a slip style drive shaft instead of the double cardan joint like the front driveshafts. Not only do people get vibes...but when that drive shaft is further out on the tcase output shaft, It is A LOT weaker! thats why you sometimes hear about peoples drive shafts falling off their rigs (more with wranglers) because the drive shaft is only connected on one end. the other end can simply slide off!

If you are unsure about whether or not to do it...then budget for one and put the lift on and see if it gets vibes...if it does then put a SYE kit one (not hard at all, it seams intimidating but it is very simple!)
Old 07-10-2011, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

^alot of companies use that style rear driveshaft. chevy at least for the 90s 1500s has the same slip yolk style tcase. luckily my pickup doesn't and has a one piece driveshaft. for the heep heck with it i'll drop the tcase its cheaper and the crossmember looks stronger than the stocker anyway
Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by cdawall
just depends on the jeep because it wears on the yoke differently. mine seems ok with 3.5" of lift on it but when i put in my shackles i am going with the rusty's 1" drop crossmember.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=xj_skid

one of the other members on here posted it up looks like a good deal and should remove and chance of vibes with 3" of lift.
Lol Yup I have that crosmember and it solves any problems if mine at 4.5 and its tough, nice and relatively inexpensive compared to what we buy for our jeeps
Old 07-10-2011, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

The older t-cases tend to do a little better and not all lifts are created equal. Just because it says 4" doesn't mean that's what you'll get. Add in bumpers, winches and gear and a 4" lift may only give you 2.5". That's why so many people have different opinions, that and some people don't mind a little vibe. My brother's old ZJ had more vibrations stock than it did after I lifted it.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Ihave no idea whether not I NEEDED an SYE, I just figured it'd be best to go ahead and get it JIC.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Can anyone tell me what a custom driveshaft runs$$? I'm looking for function over beauty.

Also, does anyone sell that T-case SYE gear already modified? If not, how much did it cost to have it done?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L I6

You can get an SYE kit from Iron Rock Offroad that comes with a refurbished front driveshaft for right at $200. It's a hack n tap. Cheap option to look into
Old 07-11-2011, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Daltonamorph
You can get an SYE kit from Iron Rock Offroad that comes with a refurbished front driveshaft for right at $200. It's a hack n tap. Cheap option to look into
Yep, this is the best deal I've found, and their shop is less than 10 minutes away from me
Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Main reason why some "need" a SYE and others don't. Is that some people don't realize they have vibes and that those vibes can be removed. Have done a TC drop, and decided, thats good enough. Are too stuborn to admit they don't know everything. I have NEVER seen a Wrangler or XJ that would not benefit from a SYE, from the factory. I have a TC and need a SYE, for the vibes. The vibes ONLY I can feel.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Daltonamorph
Ya that's hack n tap, if you don't want to have to worry about cutting and drilling you can look at jbconversions for a "true" sye
Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM

"Main reason why some "need" a SYE and others don't. Is that some people don't realize they have vibes and that those vibes can be removed. Have done a TC drop, and decided, thats good enough. Are too stuborn to admit they don't know everything. I have NEVER seen a Wrangler or XJ that would not benefit from a SYE, from the factory. I have a TC and need a SYE, for the vibes. The vibes ONLY I can feel."

-This is the answer I needed. I agree that some of us are more sensitive to "something doesn't feel right" or some of us let the little things bother them (I know I do, but with good reason as in THIS case).

Thank you so much guys! I haven't heard of the "hack and tap" but am really glad to find out I can a refurbished shaft. This way I won't have stop mid-project (I hope!) to do the lift and SYE in one day or weekend.

Anybody have an idea on how much a shortened driveshaft costs after the SYE? I assume it's needed?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM

"Ya that's hack n tap, if you don't want to have to worry about cutting and drilling you can look at jbconversions for a "true" sye"

-Wiggles, you the man!!!! (I have to admit, I never thought I'd tell someone named "wiggles" he was the man)

Is the JB SYE and housing all that realistically is needed to do a "Propper" SYE aside from a new axle? I CAN'T BELIEVE it's THAT afordable. Already machined too? Freaking insane! You have taken a big deal of apprehension of lifting my Jeep away. Thanks so much brother!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Lmao no problem man, all you would need to do is go to a jy and get a front drive shaft from another cherokee just make sure its an automatic. And for this kit you just have to be willing to open up the tc, I did it a few months ago when I was 15 so its really not that hard

Last edited by wiggles; 07-11-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: The mystery of the "Yoke"