Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My unfortunate story: Down N Dirty Offroad

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default My unfortunate story: Down N Dirty Offroad

So back on January 5th I ordered some Quarter Panel guards with a Rub rails from Down N Dirty (DND) for only 129.99 I even asked them to have the guards power coated and they obliged, not extra charge! What a great deal or so it seemed...

I was told they would at my home in about 5 days. 2 Weeks later they finally arrived at my door. The fast shipping time they advertised was crucial as i am moving and they needed to get here asap.

Upon opening them I was pissed... There are paint chips everywhere, The rub rail on the driver side guard had spots with no paint at all, and the holes drilled for the bolts where not even circular. The included hardware did not fit.

Now im a reasonable guy, I dont mind giving it a little touch up paint and drill out the holes a bit, hell for 129.99 what did i expect. But they are severely warped! Needless to say they are going back. Ive heard good things about their bumpers but I personally wont buy anything from them again. That being said they offered me a refund without any issues.

Just thought I would let you guys know as ive seen a few people on here considering DND's products.

Im attempting to upload some pictures as we speak.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:29 PM

Pictures are not uploading for me, I will post them up as soon as I can.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:33 PM

You can see the bare steel here...

Nice bent up corner, you can also see the holes are not round. The included hardware wont even fit in.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

any pics of the warping?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos
any pics of the warping?
Its hard to get a pic of that but i will do my best.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:59 PM

Now it will flex a little bit closer to the jeep if I push on it but it will not lay flat, its warped too badly. I understand its supposed to flex around the contours of the body but there's no way its flexing that much.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 PM

Im really dissapointed but at the same time im moving and its a pain in the *** to send back because of how busy I am. Im debating just making them work because of how inexpensive they are compared to any other brand but i fear the warping will prevent me from installing them at all and i will be left with 30+ holes in the side of my jeep...
Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

find some flat ground and lay them down. that will show the warping a little better

$129 for a pair of quarter guards is nothing. I wouldn't even fabricate them at that cost let alone paint them or ship them. when you weld things sometimes they warp a bit, it can be hard to avoid when using thinner metal. and by eye, those don't look any more warped than your jeep probably is

I dunno man. kinda sucks the paint chipped off but it's a jeep it was going to get ****ed up anyway right? spritz some spray paint on there and call it a day is what I would do. have you contacted the shop yet?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

buy JCR
Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 PM

find some flat ground and lay them down. that will show the warping a little better

$129 for a pair of quarter guards is nothing. I wouldn't even fabricate them at that cost let alone paint them or ship them. when you weld things sometimes they warp a bit, it can be hard to avoid when using thinner metal. and by eye, those don't look any more warped than your jeep probably is

I dunno man. kinda sucks the paint chipped off but it's a jeep it was going to get ****ed up anyway right? spritz some spray paint on there and call it a day is what I would do. have you contacted the shop yet?
I contacted them they have no problem giving me a refund. In your opinion do you think i should just make work? The other thing is it came with nutserts (i think this is what they are called) I have no idea how those work. Are you familiar? can i just use nuts instead?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by RRXJeeper71
buy JCR
I talked to them today. They said they would weld on a rub rail for me for another 100, if i get rid of these that is what i will do.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by STUD IN THE MUD
I contacted them they have no problem giving me a refund. In your opinion do you think i should just make work? The other thing is it came with nutserts (i think this is what they are called) I have no idea how those work. Are you familiar? can i just use nuts instead?
that would depend on the response from the company. they offered to refund you so that's good, but I'd want an explanation of why the paint is clearly chipped, does this happen often, and is this going to happen in the future if I choose to buy from you again? paint doesn't chip when you spray it so what happened from the time they were painted to the time they ended up at your door. was it packaging? probably not.

it's up to you

this should be how the nutserts work. do you have a link to the website?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 PM

that would depend on the response from the company. they offered to refund you so that's good, but I'd want an explanation of why the paint is clearly chipped, does this happen often, and is this going to happen in the future if I choose to buy from you again? paint doesn't chip when you spray it so what happened from the time they were painted to the time they ended up at your door. was it packaging? probably not.

it's up to you

this should be how the nutserts work. do you have a link to the website?

So i assume i need some special tool for the nutserts? This is there website, i bought off their ebay page though http://dndoffroad.3dcartstores.com/

I asked them about the paint and they said they send it out to be painted, still like you said it didnt get chipped while it was painted. Also you would think a fab shop could drill holes in a circle... I brought all of these issues up to the owner dave and he just kept saying "I will send out a shipping label thats all I can do" no apology or anything, even after waiting triple the shipping time it was supposed to take.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 PM

Also they seemed to have "lost" the record of me buying the item... good thing Ebay has awesome buyer protection if i decide to return them. One of the guys said they would call Ebay then call me back before the day ends, that didnt happen either. Im not even surprised anymore these are super unreliable. Ive had to play the "squeaky wheel gets the oil" card throughout this whole process or no one would respond to me.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

you would just start screwing the bolt in and the nutsert will crush as you continue to tighten it

yeah that right there, if it is factual, would be enough for me to get my money back. why wouldn't they paint the parts themselves? who do they send the parts to? how much does that cost them that they can pass the savings on to you completely complementary? the story is starting to not add up. the problem is that we probably wont get to hear the companies side of the story, "losing" your shipping confirmation is a big red flag..

Quick Reply: My unfortunate story: Down N Dirty Offroad