Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new cherokee needs some fixing up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6CYL
Default My new cherokee needs some fixing up.

I bought this 96 Classic about a month ago and it had a bad driveline vibe. Me and a friend did a IRO Hack and tap and it got rid of 90% of the vibes the other 10 are because the output shaft is bent!! Not sure if I should go with a real SYE or stock output shaft thats not bent.

The suspension is worn out on this old girl as she has 430k miles on her. (less than 30k on the engine) The leaf springs in the back are blocked and the owner thinks it was a 4.5 inch lift from RC. The leafs are almost perfectly flat now and the shocks are just about unrecognizable so I can't tell what company they are. I am going to replace the shocks and leafs but not sure who to choose from. I'd like to upgrade to a 6" also but I don't know too much about all the best in the jeep crowd. What exactly would I need other than the right shocks and springs?

Thanks all

Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: i-6 4.0

Originally Posted by 96FourOh
I bought this 96 Classic about a month ago and it had a bad driveline vibe. Me and a friend did a IRO Hack and tap and it got rid of 90% of the vibes the other 10 are because the output shaft is bent!! Not sure if I should go with a real SYE or stock output shaft thats not bent.

The suspension is worn out on this old girl as she has 430k miles on her. (less than 30k on the engine) The leaf springs in the back are blocked and the owner thinks it was a 4.5 inch lift from RC. The leafs are almost perfectly flat now and the shocks are just about unrecognizable so I can't tell what company they are. I am going to replace the shocks and leafs but not sure who to choose from. I'd like to upgrade to a 6" also but I don't know too much about all the best in the jeep crowd. What exactly would I need other than the right shocks and springs?

Thanks all
What you what to do with it? Trail and road?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 PM

I have another car for my DD. So this is more a trail/winter vehicle.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks all
I would try another t case, jy fairly cheep and could work on it on a bench to make sure its in good shape before install,

Can I have a pic of the block/ leaf combo? That would help deside that prob,

What's your budget?
Old 08-05-2012, 11:29 PM

I'll get a picture tomorrow, but the problem is that they are really tired and worn out, so they aren't bowed anymore.

Budget isn't unlimited but I always look for the best value. I assume new springs and shocks will be a decent chunk of change.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 PM
CF Veteran

I'll get a picture tomorrow, but the problem is that they are really tired and worn out, so they aren't bowed anymore.

Budget isn't unlimited but I always look for the best value. I assume new springs and shocks will be a decent chunk of change.
Well... I would buy a full kit... Rough country is a great price but keep it at 4.5, 5 and up deals alot with stearing and adj arms are a must to keep it good on the road,

If I was to do it over I would still get the 4.5 x-flex from them but a 3.5 leaf pack and longer shackles = best flex for price, that's how I would do it, it will cost about 750ish, call rc and ask to speak to Jason he'll hook you up on price and if you have ANY questions he can help. OR there's a cheeper way to go... If your okay with junk yard shoping...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:52 AM

This is the left rear

Right rear

See how flat they are?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 AM

And I read your build thread last night. Doing a good job it looks awesome!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

And I read your build thread last night. Doing a good job it looks awesome!
Me? Thinks man, hears what I would do in this situation, I would grab 2 sets of stock leafs from an xj and add them to yours, then if more lift is wanted grab some shackles form advance, it will be a cheep easy way to do it, best of all more lower spring rate spring flex great lol, oh and sell those blocks, BTW where you at?