Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first XJ

Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My first XJ

So I have been wanting one of these bad boys for soooo many years so I found a super clean, NO rust, Classic and bought! So here I am one week into ownership and the Parts have started hitting it already. That being said with that comes issues tweaks and directions that need to be laid out to make sure money is always spent int the right direction and the desired result is achived. So I figured I would put out what i'm doing and let the community help.
The pics are from the day i picked it up and the second is how she sits today
Mods to date
RE3.5 super flex
Bilstein 5100's
Rustys Adj Track bar
Rustys SYE + Tom Woods CV
Rustys 3 deg steel Shims
Grand Chreokee Tie Rod
703 FI
12' Rubicon 17" and 255/75/17 BFG Mud terrain KM

so I ordered the SYE+ CV and The Shims the day I installed the 3.5 RE system because i had very bad Drive Line Vibes and Have not installed them yet..... ( dont worry im not driving it till its right)
Do you think the SYE will cure it 100% or do I need to pull the Leafs back off and put the shims in too?
Also I am a bit bummed tis kit sits so high ( Far more than 3.5 more like 4.5-5!) thoughts?
Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: I6

Nice XJ, what year is it? And I also plan on getting an RE 3.5 lift w/ Bilstein 5100s for my 98. Hopefully it doesn't sit too high
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM

its a 98, after a phone call to RE yesterday they explained that 3.5 is under stated and this is what the net result of there system is.... it may settle 3/8-1/2 at most.... they suggested flexing the susopension a few times to help settle it in faster. they say they want the system to still have 3.5' lift after things like heavy bumpers, winches, roof racks, large spare tires, tools blah blah blah. the down side is you have to buy drivetrain pieces as if you were doing a 4.5' lift ie SYE, CV Drive Shafts, Shims.... Apparently the 98 is very bad at 3.5' + lifts due to a few factors, 8.25 shaft dia. being larger, the DS length. but all this is just what i have been told. I will let you know after friday night when i install the new parts if that is all true.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM

So my first question to all the jeep peeps out there..
What are the suggested suspension spec for and alignment after this kind of lift? of course mine is currently a mile off but I would like to provide some insight to the shop before they take the task on.
Is the factory spec still the goto after a lift kit is installed?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Stlavguy
its a 98, after a phone call to RE yesterday they explained that 3.5 is under stated and this is what the net result of there system is.... it may settle 3/8-1/2 at most.... they suggested flexing the susopension a few times to help settle it in faster. they say they want the system to still have 3.5' lift after things like heavy bumpers, winches, roof racks, large spare tires, tools blah blah blah. the down side is you have to buy drivetrain pieces as if you were doing a 4.5' lift ie SYE, CV Drive Shafts, Shims.... Apparently the 98 is very bad at 3.5' + lifts due to a few factors, 8.25 shaft dia. being larger, the DS length. but all this is just what i have been told. I will let you know after friday night when i install the new parts if that is all true.
Alright thanks man, hopin to hear some good news on how it preformed for you, good luck. And yeah doesn't it suck how once you start getting 3.5+ lifts you have to put alot of extra parts and stuff on?! suck but I guess it'll be worth it in the long run