Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monstaliner

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Monstaliner

I'm looking to do something new to me and paint the whole exterior of my 99 cherokee in grey monstaliner. I plan on rolling it on, how much should I expect to use? Will the monstaliner hold up on the hood? Is it rated for temperatures that high? Any advice help and suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by ChuckieLove23; 10-22-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

After rolling it on my cut and fold and liking how it came out, I decided to spray it on all my armor. I used about a pint on the quarters and a gallon sprayed got 2 thin layers on all the armor. I have since ordered another gallon to spray another 2 layers on the armor.

Monstaliner-image-2517839515.jpg
Old 10-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Banned

To do a WHOLE jeep, I would count on at least 2 gallons to get it all covered, if not three. There's always going to be spillage or some lost, so account for that.

And don't use Magnet Paint's Chassis Saver. I have pics of you want to see how sh***y it is, even prepped exactly as their directions state.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:43 PM

Was really considering the chassis saver, would you mind showing me the terrible results? Your monstaliner application looks amazing, how easy is it to keep clean? Does it need a clear coat?
Old 10-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChuckieLove23
Was really considering the chassis saver, would you mind showing me the terrible results? Your monstaliner application looks amazing, how easy is it to keep clean? Does it need a clear coat?
Those pieces were just sprayed, and haven't been put on the jeep yet, and my jeeps on jacks until I finish my axle swaps haha. But it dries hard, I have no doubt it'll be tough.

I originally sprayed the whole frame and underside with chassis saver. But after all the prep and waiting and drying, it still peeled off in huge flakes. Sure it was tough, but I like to test stuff so I scratched it with a flathead screwdriver. And once the layer is punctured any bit of air or debris just gets between the paint and surface. So basically it looks good and is tough, but once any puncture happens it'll flake big time.

Monstaliner-image-887176886.jpg

These are the flakes that came off just by blowing air at it haha!
Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Banned

Here you can see the Chassis Saver all sprayed on:

Here is when I decided I didn't want it on anymore as it just flaked off. The spots that are left are where it actually adhered to. Magnet Paints advertises it works best to paint right over rust(after prepping of course), but I have to say that it peeled the worse on the rusty spots, more so than the spots I prepped that didn't have rust.

So I decided to strip all that c**p off, and just use Rustoleum; primed the rusty spots with Rustoleum Primer Red for rusty metal(brush), then sprayed on Rustoleum Primer white for clean metal(spray).

Then sprayed on Rustoleum Gloss black enamel:

If I can give any advice is to stick with something simple. If I had to do it over I wouldn't have messed with painting and let the thing rust, it's going to happen no matter what. But I will say that having scratched what I have now by installing stuff back on the jeep it takes a beating, and is easily touched up.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:21 PM

Thank you for being so descriptive with your answers, it surely makes things easier to comprehend. I would think that Rolling on the monstaliner would be easier than spraying it because I do not have a garage at all, yet if I were spray, how big of a air compressor? Should I even bother or will rolling it not even show any streaking?
Old 10-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChuckieLove23
Thank you for being so descriptive with your answers, it surely makes things easier to comprehend. I would think that Rolling on the monstaliner would be easier than spraying it because I do not have a garage at all, yet if I were spray, how big of a air compressor? Should I even bother or will rolling it not even show any streaking?
I rolled it on the quarters, it came out very nice, but there was no way I was going to roll the bumpers and get good coverage in all the nooks and crannies.

Magnet paints recommends a certain size compressor only so whatever you use isn't cycling all the time. However you only spray with about 30-60 psi, so any cheap HF compressor can handle that.

It really depends on what you are bedlining, the whole jeep? Top to bottom? It's really not worth it imo. On my previous jeep I just bedlined the sides up to the line in the body:

Monstaliner-image-2011968643.jpg

Protected it from trees and scratches and stuff.

Why do you wish to do the whole jeep?
Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

I've had fantastic results from my Chassis Saver, but I'm using the silver-aluminum version, and I brushed it on.

It can be seen on my frame in this photo and in other on my build thread at JeepForum. It is over 1 year old at the time of this photo.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:15 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I never had a problem using chassis saver, used their promo and a free quart! Used about half a quart of chassis saver and a gallon of Monstaliner on the interior. A quart of Monstaliner on the fenders and rockers.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2000CHERO
I rolled it on the quarters, it came out very nice, but there was no way I was going to roll the bumpers and get good coverage in all the nooks and crannies. Magnet paints recommends a certain size compressor only so whatever you use isn't cycling all the time. However you only spray with about 30-60 psi, so any cheap HF compressor can handle that. It really depends on what you are bedlining, the whole jeep? Top to bottom? It's really not worth it imo. On my previous jeep I just bedlined the sides up to the line in the body: Protected it from trees and scratches and stuff. Why do you wish to do the whole jeep?
I suppose I really like the way that whole jeeps looks when they are painted with it, it is a particular look.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mschi772
I've had fantastic results from my Chassis Saver, but I'm using the silver-aluminum version, and I brushed it on. It can be seen on my frame in this photo and in other on my build thread at JeepForum. It is over 1 year old at the time of this photo.
Yeah I did read that the silver was suppose to be better.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Iron_XJ
I never had a problem using chassis saver, used their promo and a free quart! Used about half a quart of chassis saver and a gallon of Monstaliner on the interior. A quart of Monstaliner on the fenders and rockers.
Same here haha, I have 2 quarts I got for free when I ordered, just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:49 PM

I did my entire exterior last month. It has held up fine For me.
Attached Thumbnails Monstaliner-image-1999002868.jpg  
Old 10-26-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by CherokeeCam
I did my entire exterior last month. It has held up fine For me.
Did you roll it or spray it?

Quick Reply: Monstaliner