Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods to take to Mexico/Central America

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Mods to take to Mexico/Central America

So I've got this frankenXJ that I've come to love. Pretty certain (based on the shape of the exhaust header) I've got a '98 engine and the VIN on the dash says it's a 2000. Either way, moot point. I bought it for my son, but now it's mine.

Anyway...next year I plan on driving to Belize. I was wondering if any of you had done something similar and what, if any, modifications did you make to your Cherokee? I have been thinking about a mild lift (2") but is there anything else I could do to improve longevity/reliability down there (I might retire there). No planned rock crawling, but I've heard the roads down there suck.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Number one mod: Hire a guide to go with you on this trip.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Put wings on the XJ and fly to Belize. Too many opportunities to get robbed by banditos along the way.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:01 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0, 60mm TB, 784's

I'd make sure your cooling system was up to par. Maybe upgrade to a larger fuel tank.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

A 2" lift would be a good option. It will allow you to use the stock control arms, and if desired, the stock front springs if you use spacers. This also won't require things like custom drive shafts, etc. I would think that sourcing stock parts down there in the event of a major break would be easier than scoring replacements for an elaborate aftermarket setup.

Given my experience camping, and the research I've done on doing an Overland/Expedition style build on my XJ and tips I've gotten from others, I wouldn't even think about driving all the way down there without at least the following:

I'd make sure the cooling system is in top shape, and for the small cost, have an extra water pump, upper and lower hoses, and serpentine belt with you.
  • Have plenty of tire plugs and fix-a-flat, or perhaps better yet, treat your tire with that green slime.
  • have a good portable compressor.
  • Spare oil/trans/brake/diff fluid
  • Have at least 10 extra gallons of gas with you.
  • Have plenty of extra water, for you and the Jeep. If you have a roof rack, you can buy 4"-6" diameter PVC pipe at Home Depot really cheap, and build a tube that will hold a lot of water and can be strapped to a roof rack.
  • Collapsible 5 gallon water jug and coffee filters. Handy if you need to use creek water and have to filter out debris and particulates
  • Have extra plugs and wires.
  • Have an extra headlight with you.
  • Have a spare crankshaft position sensor
  • A spare TPS
  • Have locking lugnuts on all your wheels
  • Have a security system or other way to disable the engine.
  • Have a couple of spare u-joints.
  • Wet wipes, rags, paper towels
  • Extra fuses and relays (source at the junk yard)
  • Assortment of bolts, washer, nuts, screws, etc.
  • Recovery gear. Their roads aren't like our roads, or as consistent.
  • Guns and ammo
  • Any and all tools necessary to change out the preceding list of parts.
  • Zip ties
  • bailing wire
  • Duct tape
  • a roll of self fusing tape
  • an assortment of worm-drive hose clamps
  • electrical tape
  • bungee cords
  • wire nuts and some spare wire
  • jumper cables and/or jumpstarter
  • mechanics gloves
  • two ways to start a fire - a Big works great, but also have a magnesium starter or magnifying glass
  • machete and folding tree saw
  • paracord-550 or other strong rope
  • ratchet straps
  • a folding tarp at least 7 feet in both dimensions
  • several disposable plastic ponchos
  • Bug spray with DEET
  • flares
  • Have at least two good LED flashlights and spare batteries (I'm fond of the Quark QPA and L3 Illumination L10C, equipped with Eneloop batteries), possibly have rechargeable batteries with a charger that runs on 12v (Nitecore I4 Intellicharger).
  • Might-D-Light LED125. handiest darn utility light I've ever had.
  • Possibly a Nitecore EA41 flashlight. Runs on 4 AA batteries, and puts out more light than a car headlight. Has multiple brightness modes and throw light out to 300 yards on high, but will run for 400 hours on low.
  • water purification tablets and/or LifeStraw and or Sawyer SP128 water filter
  • MRE's and/or canned food and can opener. Cliff bars.
  • Esbit folding pocket stove and a couple dozen fuel tabs
  • small metal mess kit
  • Mace or bear spray (they have large jungle cats)
  • Mosquito netting (you can tape it over cracked windows in case you end up sleeping in the Jeep)
  • A sat phone, or at least a SPOT personal locator device.
  • A backpack to carry essentials in case you end up on foot for awhile
You'd be amazed at how much of this will fit under the back seat, and spill-over can be packed in a couple of 22" toolboxes.

Many may say this is overkill. But again, there can be long distances between towns, and those towns are often just villages filled with wood and tin shacks. There's not an AutoZone, O' Reilly every few miles. Forget roadside assistance, or even a tow truck in many areas. The roads are often in disrepair, or washed out / full of debris during the rainy season. The natives are frequently not friendly. Cell service is hit and miss depending on how far you are from a major town and the geography. Approach this trip as if you were going on an African safari and you'll have a better mindset on how to proceed. I recall my last trip to Playa del Carmen. I only had to get a few miles away from the resort area before you are quickly surrounded by sights that remind you that you are in the Third World.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:51 PM

Macg- that is a great list and some good info, but skip the guns and ammo. A sure way to have a bad trip.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by davev
Macg- that is a great list and some good info, but skip the guns and ammo. A sure way to have a bad trip.

Never a place where you will need them more than this trip (guns and ammo) that is. But getting them into even Mexico can be a nightmare and could end your trip right there before you even get started.

This is not a trip that I would make unarmed or to say it better "Well Armed" the only reason I would pass on it.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:22 PM
Banned

Year: 1997

Don't drive into Mexico with a firearm unless you feel like a stay in a Mexican jail. Which, given the current state of affairs you might not survive. There are federal police checkpoints on the highways. They'll search your car and find your gun. Smile, no BS and you'll be on your way. Bring a machete and a can of bear spray, and cash in case you have to pay off the cops. Its usually the local cops that can be a problem...not the feds. Cross the border, drive thru the border town and keep on going. Almost all the problems you hear about occur near the border. Driving at night can be ... interesting.

Toyo M/T tires would be my tire choice - I've put 100k on 2 sets of these on my 8000lb Ford 350 with zero problems. Bombproof tire. Expensive. Wheel locks +1.

Ron Davis aluminum radiator w/ electric fans. Stuart water pump. Premium hoses & belts. Hood vents. All fluids synthetic, Evans coolant. Larger gas tank. High output alternator. Stout roof rack w/ good light bar. Steel winch bumper with china winch & bash guards. Steel rear bumper with hitch & spare tire. Secret ignition disable device.

It goes without saying, but all new wear parts in suspension and front and rear axles. White paint on the roof if it's not white already. Dark tinted windows. Rear seat delete & seat back replaced with hinged MDO plywood. iPhone or iPad with internal gps and offline mapping apps. Maps With Me is very good.

Oh, and don't have the thing lookin' all shiny and tricked out. Much better to have it be unobrutsive as possible. That said, there are alot of lifted pre-runner type SUV's running around in Mexico. You don't necessarily need the dingle ***** & fuzzy dice...you just don't want your car to scream "Look at me...I'm a Gringo!!"

Actually, fuzzy dice might be a nice touch. Anyway, that's the shortlist

Last edited by Jesus M; 05-31-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Put wings on the XJ and fly to Belize. Too many opportunities to get robbed by banditos along the way.
Best post so far. It's way more than possible to end up in a Mexican jail just for being there.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Banned

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Best post so far. It's way more than possible to end up in a Mexican jail just for being there.
No. I think the OP has a fine idea. The US media will have you believe that south of the border is all flying bullets & severed heads. Not true at all. Get away from the border and your problems should be minimal.

I've spent a considerable amount of time in Mexico and South America. I know people that come & go from Mexico all the time. Its no problem.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:09 AM

Updates?
Old 07-15-2015, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

He didn't make it back.......
Old 07-15-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

A turrent with a MK19.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I am curious also... in the process of building a 4-runner for a similar trip. Some friends of mine from the Army and myself are going to drive from Texas to Argentina in the next couple years... hit every country along the way excluding Brazil (Need a Visa). Have been researching it for a while, only place you "cant" drive through all the way down is the Darian Gap. Pretty scary place. Have to take a ferry at that point. One of my buddies who is going to come along (who currently lives in Puerto Rico) has been in several of the South-American countries... He said that if we wanted to bring any weapons, just buy them once you get through central america. South America is not as hostile/suspicious as Central and driving through the border crossings is very easy.

Last edited by Ianf406; 07-15-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:13 AM

I haven't left yet. I said "next year". LOL Planning on around April or May of 2016.

No mods done really. I did have a new radiator put in, and I think a new water pump and hoses will be in my future. But the only thing I've put on since my original post is a kayak rack.

Quick Reply: Mods to take to Mexico/Central America