Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M90 Supercharger on '87 Comanche, PM Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000
Default M90 Supercharger on '87 Comanche, PM Conversation

I really hate PM conversations. Here is a recent conversation for everyone to share, read, enjoy, learn.

Originally Posted by nokool
Hey a guy over on Comanche club referred me to you, he said you might be able to give me some info on my m90 swap on my 87 Comanche if you could help me out a bit that'd be awesome!
Unfortunately I don't do Renix.
There is lots of info here and naxja if you search 4.0 supercharger.
Also check out my blogspot site in my signature. Lots of info there on all the different pages and tabs.
http://jeepm62superchargerkit.blogspot.com
Good luck with your project.
Marty

Well my questions aren't really renix based just about some general set up with vacuum accessories and what not. Like with a factory map handle 6-9 psi like ive been told and how many vacuum ports do I need to ad to the inlet I'm making past brake booster and fuel pressure regulator
OK, so if it sees vacuum stock, it needs to see vacuum with SC installed, like HVAC, EVAP, brake booster, MAP, PCV/valve cover hose.

However you can let the map see boost safely, it wont break, but it will not change it's output as it is only a 1 bar sensor.
You can sometimes let the FPR see boost to increase FP under boost.

6-9 psi requires boost timing retard, additional fuel during boost and something to cool the heated charged intake air temps. Without addressing all three of these you will grenade the engine. 4-5psi you might get away with 2 of 3 of these.

Are you planning to use the Ford Thunderbird M90 SC?

Yes i am i already have a mount set up and have already had a test run, however i still need to get a longer belt to reach the idler pulley under the thermostat housing. im going to install a MSD ignition and timing control box to address the timing issue and im going to run a intercooler, i also plan on using a trans cooler as a feel cooler. ive already have an upgraded fuel pump from a newer cherokee, and i have the Volvo 6 hole upgrade injectors im not sure if that will be good enough. and of coarse run high octain

as far as everything else my MJ never came with AC, and i live in Texas so emissions arent required so evap is gone and the EGR is blocked off im still currently running pvc.

im still trying to figure out how im going to design my inlet to it. any suggestions? i was thinking about a plate that covers the whole back that has the port hole cut into it then a box welded on with a 3" inlet. the inlet will be positioned near the top of the box over the SC inlet and the lower box should be a low pressure area where i can put my vacuum ports.

[IMG][/IMG]
If you are putting the throttle body on your sc inlet box then you will have vacuum at those ports. vacuum after the throttle body and before the sc.
msd can work if it is a BTM.
still need 25-30% more fuel when in boost. fuel pump and bigger injectors wont do it.

i was planing on leaving the throttle body on the intake for now to start and pressurizing it, partly because i dont want to have to do all the wiring and throttle cable but ima look and see what kind of pain itll be. now i was thinking of if i do relocate the throttle body the plate ill add to the intake i could tap it and add a 7th fuel injector jumped off of one of the other ones. just an idea. what would you suggest to meet the fuel needs? also i was looking into this adjustable map sensor http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoMAPsensor.htm
Doing a 'blow thru' setup makes it difficult if you need vacuum. There will be vacuum in the manifold say for brake booster, but you will also have boost there and that would go to the brake booster, but when would you have boost and brakes at the same time.
A 7th injector works for the added fuel needs. IDK if the ECU injector driver will be able to fire 2 injectors off one driver and one injector wire. You would need a switch so it only comes on during boost.
A MAP adjuster might work if it was also on a boost switch and you ran larger injectors.
It will all be a good project, you will learn a lot but I am afraid that you will damage your engine or the project will not work and be abandoned. There are some great books on turbo and supercharging and how to tune. I used my 40+ years of experience when designing the Jeep SC kit. Over 200 kits and no failures.

Marty

Ok one last quick question, tell me if you think this might work. If I go the 7th injector route, which is looking like the easiest option. I still jump off one of the other 6 injectors, but as a reference to turn on a relay to turn on a 12v circuit to open the 7th injector. On the injector side of the circuit ill use a ac pressure switch that will turn on in the boost range that ill need the the extra fuel. And in theory the 7th injector should pulse with the main injector because the relay should turn on and off with the pulses. Does that sound like a possible solution to add more fuel at boost and control it? Also what psi should the extra fuel kick in?
Need to add fuel at 1psi.
A relay will not switch on and off fast enough if triggered by the injector wire.
At 2000rpm, 1 cylinder fires 1000 times a minuts, 16.7 times a second. Relays can not switch that fast.
You need an 'Additional Injector Controller'

Well I found a solution! I talked to mark at boosted solutions and he said he can sell me just the control system they are developing for their renix kit they will have available in a month or so. It has progressive fuel control and timing retard. All I have to to is make my 7th injector set up. It'll cost pretty penny but it will have everything I need handled without me having to come up with ideas
That is what I was getting at with the 'Additional Injector Controller'.
There is no easy and cheap way to do the fueling and boost timing retard.
Playing and trying to build your own supercharger system is very time consuming and difficult to make right and not blow an engine.
My best suggestion is to buy a complete kit. Anything less will just be a compromise.
There have been many who have tried and come and go and either blew their engines or removed the sc and sold their jeep. I have seen it over and over for the last 6 years.

Please start a build thread for this project so other can learn along with you.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Update- We are developing a SC kit for the XJ/MJ Renix that will be side mount and fit under the hood. 6-9 months.