Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lowering Questions

Before all the gasps start about lowering, I have a YJ that I wheel often and its my main wheeling vehicle.

I am going to start a project soon as I do all my background check on the tech of doing the project. I will be using a 2 door 2 wheel drive XJ with 4.0 and auto trans. The main project portion will be to lower the XJ several inches, and to chop the roof into a SUT configuration.

I have spare YJ axles and was wondering if when I go to lower the back if I could just swap in a YJ axle since its setup as spring under with perches setup on them already. Is the width of the spring mounts the same for a YJ and XJ? and the shock mounts will they be close?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:12 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Is it for show or auto cross? Cause an auto cross XJ keeping up with Honda's would be cool.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Mostly as a daily driver thats a little different, but will keep cleaning it up once the body mods are done and show it a bit. I plan on using a Dana 35 on the rear since like I say I have spares from my YJ in diff gear ratios.

I have my YJ, the wife has her Honda Pilot, her son is going to need a car soon but Im not gunna share.

next question while waiting on the rear axle question. What other springs would work for up front that are going to give a good response on the street just shy of cutting 1.5 turns off the stock XJ springs.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

A YJ axle will not bolt into an XJ. A YJ is spring under while the XJ is a spring over. You'll have to move the spring perches. Why are you trying to swap to a YJ rear? Is there something wrong with the rear axle currently in the XJ?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Going spring under is going to drop you a good 5" which might be more than you want. Might consider removing a leaf or two and that would give it a few inch drop.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 93
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I was planning on doing the same kind of thing. I'll share my plan because maybe you'll like an idea that I had.

Pre 96 cherokee..
2 door, 2 wheel drive.
Manual transmission.
I was going to use the axle out of an automatic comanche for the 3.55:1 gear ratio and it would convert the suspension to spring under axle which will give you like 4.5 inches of drop.
Cut the tangential end of the coil springs up front one coil at a time until the desired drop is achieved. Use whatever produces the least amount of heat.. Port-a-band or cut-off wheel. Basically, don't use a torch.
Mine was going to be a side project that would eventually be a semi daily driver so I was going to build a 4.7 liter stroker motor for it.
I know that there might be some other things that would need to be done to achieve all this like steering conversions or driveshaft modifications, but that was my initial plan. I even drew a picture:
Attached Thumbnails Lowering Questions-dropped.jpg  
Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

Love the picture!

Even though I know you guys will catch some flak for lowering your XJs, customizing is customizing, and modding is modding, whether you're building a Chevelle SS clone, or throwing a turbo on your Civic, gearheads should embrace anyone who's willing to take the time and money to truly make their ride "theirs".

I realize everyone is going to have their peeves when it comes to vehicles, god knows I have mine, but a little tolerance goes a long way!

Good luck on the rides gents, can't wait to see progress pictures and the final turnout!

Just had to edit for a chuckle, for some reason when I look at the back half of your drawing, I keep expecting to see a Dodge Omni. No idea why.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 93
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by TSea99XJ
Love the picture!

Even though I know you guys will catch some flak for lowering your XJs, customizing is customizing, and modding is modding, whether you're building a Chevelle SS clone, or throwing a turbo on your Civic, gearheads should embrace anyone who's willing to take the time and money to truly make their ride "theirs".

I realize everyone is going to have their peeves when it comes to vehicles, god knows I have mine, but a little tolerance goes a long way!

Good luck on the rides gents, can't wait to see progress pictures and the final turnout!

Just had to edit for a chuckle, for some reason when I look at the back half of your drawing, I keep expecting to see a Dodge Omni. No idea why.
It's funny you say that; I had no idea what a Dodge Omni was until I saw one parked at a local McDonalds a couple of months ago.. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. That was about a month before I drew this picture.
I agree with you and totally embrace anyone who tries to customize their vehicle to suit their needs. I just can't stand over accessorizing, i.e. stick on fender vents.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:38 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.o

take a leaf in the pack and flip it, it will lower it 2-4 inches and stiffen up the sring rate.
in the front, i would be concerned with oil pan cleaance.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

^ that's a good point about the pan! I work have never thought about that!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

When you get started post pics. I'm looking for a 2dr 2wd also. Want to lower, remove quater glass and turn it into a little sedan delivery (panel truck)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:43 AM

Year: 1989

im surprised no one has mention team petty cash race xj.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:47 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 H.O

This thread is useless without pictures of lowered XJ's!!! :P
Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0