Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower control arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lower control arm

Alright so I ordered 4.5 inch coil springs and they say it settles around 5 and I went to the junk yard looking for a lifted jeep and no luck but I did notice that a lower control arm on a dodge 1500 4x4 or a 2500 4x4 it is 3.5 inches longer thank the stock xj. Would that work with 4.5-5 inches of lift? What is the difference in your lower control arms?
Old 01-25-2017, 10:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

control arms play a big factor. Especially with that much lift. Strength, pinion angles, axle centering
Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 AM

Well pinion angle I can go with shims but would they work what's the different between the stock lower control arms and the ones for 4-6 inches of lift? Length is the only thin I can think of.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

You can't use shims on the axle for angles on the front. Why not get adjustable control arms? Yeah they cost more, but having the ability to adjust is a great benefit for your rig.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You need adj upper and lower CA's, dbl. shear track bar, sway bar disconnects, SYE, new driveshaft, shocks, brake lines, etc. just to name a few for that size lift.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
You need adj upper and lower CA's, dbl. shear track bar, sway bar disconnects, SYE, new driveshaft, shocks, brake lines, etc. just to name a few for that size lift.
This right here.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Yeah your right! But it's going to be only trail rig after the spring! And I'm all about the junkyard budget with stock parts working on they jeep. Like the bastard pack will be another thing I'll do. I have sway bar links I got from a lifted jeep at a junk yard and he had stock lower and upper control arms. So.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

You will need drop brackets at a minimum.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Project_Pos
Yeah your right! But it's going to be only trail rig after the spring! And I'm all about the junkyard budget with stock parts working on they jeep. Like the bastard pack will be another thing I'll do. I have sway bar links I got from a lifted jeep at a junk yard and he had stock lower and upper control arms. So.

Making those parts even more important. All Jeeps do not interchange parts with other models the XJ is a beast all of it's own on most of them like suspension and steering for 2.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:24 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Project_Pos
Alright so I ordered 4.5 inch coil springs and they say it settles around 5 and I went to the junk yard looking for a lifted jeep and no luck but I did notice that a lower control arm on a dodge 1500 4x4 or a 2500 4x4 it is 3.5 inches longer thank the stock xj. Would that work with 4.5-5 inches of lift? What is the difference in your lower control arms?
Going back to this original post, no. Those are way too long. To put it into perspective, for 3.5" of lift, the LCAs are only about .5" longer than stock.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Here is a list of junkyard parts you can use:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bud...herokee-58797/

It gives you a couple control arm options
Old 01-27-2017, 04:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

I am at 5" of lift with control arm drop brackets. At 5" of lift the arms will be at a fairly severe angle. The upper and lower arms will be too short due to the angle of the arms. The CAD brackets are a good solution to get the arms at the correct angles. With my CAD brackets (Rough Country) the stock lower arms were too short to adjust the caster properly. I purchased some fixed length lower arms 1/2" longer (IIRC) and then was able to adjust the caster correctly with the stock shims in the frames side LCA bracket. The stock UCAs worked out well with the CAD brackets.

You do not need adjustable arms, you need longer arms. Identify needed length and purchase those. If you want to go the junkyard route, some of the different model Jeeps have arms that are slightly longer. The difference from stock arms and aftermarket arms are the easy adjustment (convenient, but not REQUIRED), stronger, and longer. You need longer UCAs or CAD brackets to get the wheel in the center of the wheel well again. You need longer LCAs to get the caster angle correct.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I am at 5" of lift with control arm drop brackets. At 5" of lift the arms will be at a fairly severe angle. The upper and lower arms will be too short due to the angle of the arms. The CAD brackets are a good solution to get the arms at the correct angles. With my CAD brackets (Rough Country) the stock lower arms were too short to adjust the caster properly. I purchased some fixed length lower arms 1/2" longer (IIRC) and then was able to adjust the caster correctly with the stock shims in the frames side LCA bracket. The stock UCAs worked out well with the CAD brackets.

You do not need adjustable arms, you need longer arms. Identify needed length and purchase those. If you want to go the junkyard route, some of the different model Jeeps have arms that are slightly longer. The difference from stock arms and aftermarket arms are the easy adjustment (convenient, but not REQUIRED), stronger, and longer. You need longer UCAs or CAD brackets to get the wheel in the center of the wheel well again. You need longer LCAs to get the caster angle correct.

Long story short no your concepts are backwards on several.

Sorry to be harsh but try to give the correct information on things.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 01-27-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Please elaborate on my backwards concepts. The goal is to maintain good angles on the arms and set caster to a reasonable degree without killing the pinion angle. My arms are at the same angle as stock thanks to the CAD brackets and my caster is right at 5 degrees thanks to longer LCAs and shimming the LCAs with the factory shims. My XJ handles great. What of my method failed to accomplish the goal?
Old 01-27-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Stock the lowers can adjust pinion/caster. When you lift usually the lowers are used to adjust the centering of the wheel in the well. Uppers adjust for pinion/caster. At least that is what I think Fred was referring to.