Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD bang when hitting bumps please help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default LOUD bang when hitting bumps please help..

Hi i have a 2000 jeep cherokee sport i just installed me 8.5 inch Rustys longarm lift kit. My tire i have now are 33's. Recently sence the lift was installed whenver i hit a larger bump/pot hole i makes a large bang that i can feel through the floor. Happends on the left and right side it feels like. The shop said they tightend the trac bar bolts, but yet the bang is still there. There are no bolts loose on my rig. What do you think this could be? I feel like the more i drive it the worse its getting!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

no bumpstops?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

front or back?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

How big of bumps are we talking? How fast are you going? If your flying hitting big bumps maybe bump stops.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Grand Cherokee

I need to replace mine -- they're gone and any bump will bottom it out,
but it's at stock height.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

no way your bottoming out 8.5 coils on a bump. Check your sway bar.. where it bends and goes to the link/disconnect. up top. Under compression mine was hitting my factory tow hook bracket braces bolt thats on the side of the frame.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hoooper
front or back?
Its in the front left side and right side
Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Littlethunder92
no way your bottoming out 8.5 coils on a bump. Check your sway bar.. where it bends and goes to the link/disconnect. up top. Under compression mine was hitting my factory tow hook bracket braces bolt thats on the side of the frame.
had my hole swaybar off and it was still doing it
Old 10-31-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_K
How big of bumps are we talking? How fast are you going? If your flying hitting big bumps maybe bump stops.
Just the normal michigan roads. you can drive it and it was handle fine and wont do anything until you hit that *right* bump or crack and it sounds like a slaming joint, feel it throught the floor

could my long arm have anything to do with it?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

now it is a metal on metal bang, a clank, feel like some one is kicking the bottom of the seat? more info on this bump if you have it, also could we get some picks of this 8.5" lift?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:32 AM

Year: 96

take ur flashlight or worklight down under and look for marks in ur subframe fenderwells and body to see where something may be hitting. with your new lift kit are you wheels properly centered in the wheel well if they are too far front or back u may have problems

another big question it may even sound stupid but did u get shock absorbers or did u just get bigger springs?

Last edited by Jeeptunes; 11-01-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jeeptunes
take ur flashlight or worklight down under and look for marks in ur subframe fenderwells and body to see where something may be hitting. with your new lift kit are you wheels properly centered in the wheel well if they are too far front or back u may have problems

another big question it may even sound stupid but did u get shock absorbers or did u just get bigger springs?
I am not sure if its perfectly centered in the front but it looks right. i will get some pics on later
Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 AM

iv got a 3/4 inch rubber absorber ontop of spring
Old 11-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

I know you said you tightened all bolts, but it sounds exactly like what mine was doing when I bought it. I bought it with a 3.5" lift kit that had been installed a month prior, so things were new on mine too. What I found was the nut on top of the front, upper shock mounts had come loose and the shocks were banging against the upper mounting surface. Did you pop the hood and check those 2 bolts (one on each side)? That was 3 years ago, never heard the noise again. I think the poly bushings compressed and let the bolts get loose, or they were never put on tight enough from the start.

The other thing no one has mentioned is ball joints. I just put new tires on my rig and right away I could tell all 4 of my ball joints were shot. Never heard a single noise until I had new tires (same size, even). They are now banging any time my wheel goes over a dip in the road and the axle is able to drop more than an inch. They are also clunking and popping on turns and uneven surfaces, more going slow than fast. Checked 'em and they have a scary amount of play - getting them replaced today.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Potatowalker
I know you said you tightened all bolts, but it sounds exactly like what mine was doing when I bought it. I bought it with a 3.5" lift kit that had been installed a month prior, so things were new on mine too. What I found was the nut on top of the front, upper shock mounts had come loose and the shocks were banging against the upper mounting surface. Did you pop the hood and check those 2 bolts (one on each side)? That was 3 years ago, never heard the noise again. I think the poly bushings compressed and let the bolts get loose, or they were never put on tight enough from the start.

The other thing no one has mentioned is ball joints. I just put new tires on my rig and right away I could tell all 4 of my ball joints were shot. Never heard a single noise until I had new tires (same size, even). They are now banging any time my wheel goes over a dip in the road and the axle is able to drop more than an inch. They are also clunking and popping on turns and uneven surfaces, more going slow than fast. Checked 'em and they have a scary amount of play - getting them replaced today.

Good luck!
What is another way of checking ball joints besides have play in the tire when its jacked up? cause they dont move in and out

Quick Reply: LOUD bang when hitting bumps please help..