Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to lift a stock 2001 Jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default looking to lift a stock 2001 Jeep Cherokee

I've never done a lift before but I don't want to get all crazy dropping 500 or more bucks on something I won't make full use of I've been looking at budget kits on E bay and Autozone I'm looking to lift my jeep 3 inches front and rear I want a level look currently my jeep sags some in the rear but I don't really want to buy new leaf springs as of now. My plan is to install front 3 inch coil spacers and 3 inch blocks in the rear. I've been reading some things here and there but I am not impressed with the overall info I got out of it. I would like to put 31s on my jeep with stock rims. I would like to keep it as stock as possible I don't want to cut anything to make things fit and I don't want it to rub when I turn if I have to settle for 30s thats ok to. The questions I have for you guys are these.

What all should I get if I want this budget 3 inch lift to work well and not rub or have issues with fitment?
I've read about needing longer brake lines so they don't break where can I get them?
Also Shocks, where can I find 3 inch lift shocks?
Do I need an adjustable track bar with this setup?
I don't want expensive stuff I can't afford it.
My ideal setup should come in under 500 bucks even if I have to get some cheaper stuff.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

You need to read alot more. If this is what you got out of your unimpressive reading, you missed ALOT.

There is a wealth of info here. And the stuff your going after is pretty simple.

Don't use blocks. They suck. You can get chevy lowering shakles for $35 and get 2-3" of lift in the rear.

An adjustable trac bar is ideal, but some just redrill a new hole in the axle side bracket. I would suggest a double shear trac bar, but thats my personal preference.

LOTS of folks offer shocks. Cheap will offer a crappy ride. Thats probably going to be one of the biggest expenses for you.

Get a longer brake line for the rear. Again, lots of places to go for them. Hell, google them and see where that gets you. Don't be lazy.

For the front, if going with a small lift, you should be able to get away with straightening and relocating them. Easy to do.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Engine: 4.0

if you wanna play you gotta pay.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's just for looks and will be driven on the road only, blocks are fine. If you are going to wheel it even once, blocks are no good.
Check out rusty's and rough country. A 1.5in lift will clear 30s, rustys has one for $100.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM

Year: 2000

i did blocks and spacers on my last 00 xj. it was horrible on and off road. i just picked up another 00 and im going with rough country 3" and plan on runnin 31s.. its gonna be my every day driver, but i want to be able to play in the woods too. ive done a ton of research and it seems the best way to go... bottom line. do not use blocks and spacers......
Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Rusty's XJ Cherokee 3" Spring Pack Lift Kit

RK-300SP-XJ
$438.00

I found this kit on the Rusty's website I think its a really good price for everything they give you but is it any good? I'm looking for something to increase ride height I'm not really looking to go wheeling with it a lot I do plan to drive it a lot though don't want it to ride rougher then stock if thats possible. Remember if you can offer any suggestions please keep them positive and budget friendly this isn't my play toy its just my 4X4 Jeep thats my daily driver and it needs a lift so it can drive through some stuff it couldn't stock.

I owned a 91 jeep cherokee and someone abused the crap outta it there was nothing left of the body hardly when I got it a lot of stuff was broken the previous owner obviously didn't take care of it. I want to take much better care of this Jeep so it doesn't end up like my 91 jeep did. I like Jeeps always have but I'm not gonna abuse it unless the situation calls for it.

Last edited by scottrlb; 02-04-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mr white
If it's just for looks and will be driven on the road only, blocks are fine. If you are going to wheel it even once, blocks are no good.
Check out rusty's and rough country. A 1.5in lift will clear 30s, rustys has one for $100.
Blocks are going to wear the springs out even daily driving. Axle wrap will happen, and he'll end up with W shaped leafs.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My stock leaves were w shaped when I replaced them. I wasn't running blocks. Would blocks increase wear speed? Probably. Mine had 100k on them when they needed replacement though.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 AM

Blocks = spring killers...especially on a 13 year old vehicle. I bought a 2001 XJ with a 3" lift and it rides like hell on the road. I am in the process of replacing driveline u-joints and adding a TC drop to level out driveshafts.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Good luck trying to lift your rig for cheap. My 2001 had rear leafs that were shot. Add a leafs wouldn't work. In reality, spend a little more cash & get a good full pack kit.

Stock just before installing the lift.

After 4" Lift & 1.75" BB
Name:  HSBC_XJ.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  112.7 KB
Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Lifting for cheap is easy, REAL easy....if your patient.

Watch the for sale section here. New in box and BARELY used parts pop up all the time.

$25 is real common for 2" lift pucks for the front. Pucks don't really go bad.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM

Has anyone tried the lifts offered by Zone Off Road (zoneoffroad.com)? I'm looking at the 2" spacer lift, with add a leafs, and shocks included for $258. They also have a 3" kit with coils, add a leafs, and shocks for $290. For an extra $30 the shocks are gas charged. Are these any good? I use my Jeep as a daily driver and don't want it to ride like a lumber wagon with add a leaves.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zone has pretty good reviews..

OP: you have some reading to do. Sure..you can just get 3 inch spacers and blocks and drive it around town just fine. Its a cheap way of doing it, and it will work and will get the job done. Do I recommend blocks..no, but they do what they are made for.

Ive been through a list of different lifts.
1. 3" Rustys AAL
2. 3" RC Full Leaf
3. 4.5" RC full leaf
4. 4.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex
5. 3 inch spacers and a 3 inch block lift (on my current rig when i bought it)..
Currently building my 3 link with heims and johnny joints, and a 4.5" rubicon express platform. The more you spend really the more you get.. if your just going to be pavement pounding cheaping out is fine.

Just my advice.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 PM

If your rear springs are shot start with new rear springs . Don't lift till you fix what needs fixed
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hickatron
If your rear springs are shot start with new rear springs . Don't lift till you fix what needs fixed
Great advise.

Quick Reply: looking to lift a stock 2001 Jeep Cherokee