Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long time lurker, first time poster question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Long time lurker, first time poster question

I used to be into off-roading years ago, but since had a family and money went elsewhere. Now my sons are getting older and I am fixing up a spare vehicle (96 XJ) for us to have some fun in, but have a few WWYD questions.

The jeep in question is in very good shape with no known issues, no problems, strange noises (except for the normal jeep noises which my wife thinks are strange) etc. It is a former game warden vehicle that already has all the skid plates, lower gears (4.10) etc.

I am preparing to lock the front, replace the ball joints, LCA's, Unit bearings, brakes, rotors etc (since I will already be under there).

Should I take a bit more time and replace all the bearings in the carrier, pinion etc while I have everything apart anyway? I know these bearings are a bit more involved than just the wheel bearings, so wanted to get some advise before I did (or didn't do) anything.

Last edited by HYRYSC; 02-21-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by HYRYSC
I used to be into off-roading years ago, but since had a family and money went elsewhere. Now my sons are getting older and I am fixing up a spare vehicle (96 XJ) for us to have some fun in, but have a few WWYD questions.

The jeep in question is in very good shape with no known issues, no problems, strange noises (except for the normal jeep noises which my wife thinks are strange) etc. It is a former game warden vehicle that already has all the skid plates, lower gears (4.10) etc.

I am preparing to lock the front, replace the ball joints, LCA's, Unit bearings, brakes, rotors etc (since I will already be under there).

Should I take a bit more time and replace all the bearings in the carrier, pinion etc while I have everything apart anyway? I know these bearings are a bit more involved than just the wheel bearings, so wanted to get some advise before I did (or didn't do) anything.
First off, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got a great platform to start with!

As far as your question goes, If you have the time and money, I certainly would. Both the bearings/seals etc. There are several "rebuild kit" for the D30 that would come with everything for ya. It would be terrible should something break on you further down the road.

Have you ever messed with the axle innards before? It can be a mess if you are not careful. I did it when re-gearing/locking mine but I had some help from a pro mechanic otherwise I would have been lost.

Here is a write-up for the seals:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoD30AxlesSeals.htm

Another write-up worth looking at:
http://www.4wdmechanix.com/How-to-Je...e-Rebuild.html

Im sure if you have any specific questions towards the install, there are more qualified people to answer them than myself.

**Quick tip for removing the wheel hub (can be a bear at times)... Instead of pounding on it for hours/buying a 3 claw puller... do this- Then just turn the wheel
Name:  extensiontrick_zps9bb553dd.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  88.1 KB

Pops it right off!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome

You are starting with an excellent platform as they spec'd those out with a lot of options possibly way more than you are aware of or me. I know they came with a very high output alt and not available so hang on to it and have it rebuilt if its the original. Go to Chrysler customer assistance and have them email you a build sheet on your XJ to find everything that is on it.

With a small 3" lift and some larger tires/wheels your way ahead of 90% of the people starting here. With the lockers you have planned that should get around very well. Maybe later you may want a winch.

But till then just enjoy what you have and go with base issues, is it and auto, 4.0, what is the mileage?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I did want to add I'm in my 60's and my wife was never able to go with me during the last 37 yrs of drag racing in the cars, but now we enjoy this together.

We wheel several times a week and plan on hauling it behind our Motor Home for 2 weeks out west next month along with our Razor on the front of the trailer.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Welcome

You are starting with an excellent platform as they spec'd those out with a lot of options possibly way more than you are aware of or me. I know they came with a very high output alt and not available so hang on to it and have it rebuilt if its the original. Go to Chrysler customer assistance and have them email you a build sheet on your XJ to find everything that is on it.

With a small 3" lift and some larger tires/wheels your way ahead of 90% of the people starting here. With the lockers you have planned that should get around very well. Maybe later you may want a winch.

But till then just enjoy what you have and go with base issues, is it and auto, 4.0, what is the mileage?
Thanks for the replies tips and encouragement.

It is an auto (drove a standard almost all my life but now enjoy being able to drink a soda and drive at the same time LOL).

It is also the 4.0 and I just turned 160,000 miles over on it.

I probably won't go taller (I am very much into the low COG look and feel), but I did go slightly larger tires with some 30 inch Hankooks (just put them on over the weekend).

I was unaware of the alternator, so that is some good news. I had it on my build list to throw in a mean green alternator, so might have to reconsider that.

By the end of March I will have the front axle completely redone with locker installed (either I will do it myself which I prefer, or if I run into anything that is over my head, I will hire it out) and a TNT skid plate installed. New Shocks all the way around.

April will be the rear axle and a front bumper with winch (really digging the Warn Zeon from what I have seen).

May will be the rear tire carrier bumper and some frame stiffeners.

After that, who knows.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Ianf406
First off, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got a great platform to start with!

As far as your question goes, If you have the time and money, I certainly would. Both the bearings/seals etc. There are several "rebuild kit" for the D30 that would come with everything for ya. It would be terrible should something break on you further down the road.

Have you ever messed with the axle innards before? It can be a mess if you are not careful. I did it when re-gearing/locking mine but I had some help from a pro mechanic otherwise I would have been lost.

Here is a write-up for the seals:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoD30AxlesSeals.htm

Another write-up worth looking at:
http://www.4wdmechanix.com/How-to-Je...e-Rebuild.html

Im sure if you have any specific questions towards the install, there are more qualified people to answer them than myself.

**Quick tip for removing the wheel hub (can be a bear at times)... Instead of pounding on it for hours/buying a 3 claw puller... do this- Then just turn the wheel

Pops it right off!

Thanks for that tip. I am certain that will save a great deal of frustration!

Those are some great links too! Thanks a bushel for sharing!

Last edited by HYRYSC; 02-24-2014 at 11:51 AM.