Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers and gears and such.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lockers and gears and such.

Hey guys, first meat and potato post on this website... be gentle.

Recently purchased a 1988 xj Laredo 4x4 for $500 on Craigslist. The wiring was rigged, fires behind dashboards, clutch fluid deficit, ect ect. All manageable for me, couple hours of work and a few trips to the junkyard, few cans of spraypaint, it's therapeutic really. The Motor is strong for 300k miles and now I have shifted my attention to other things.

I changed the gear oil and diff seal a few days ago and checked the gear ratio (afterthought) with the tires while it was still up in the air. The previous owner said it had 4.10s and this checked out. I found out just recently, while teaching my wife how to abuse the puny ba10/5 tranny that it also has posi rear end. Q1 This isn't standard on a xj D35 is it?

Since the front gears need to be replaced on the d30 up front anyway (I have a sneaking suspicion the whole front axle was swapped at one point) as the previous owner told me that 4x4 would engage but "skipped" on pavement I thought that maybe I outta throw a locker in the front as well.

What do you guys think of something like an aussie locker? The Jeep itself was really sold (to my wife that is) on the fact that it would be a good camping (read hunting) rig for the family. I don't plan on much more than a junkyard deluxe lift kit in the 3" model range, Exchanging the worn out 30" tires for 31-33" at maximum, and possibly changing the transmission (if the horror stories I hear about are founded) aside from general work (heater core yay!)

Lockers have proved to be quite persuasive to me in the past. Even just for getting out of what was icy at night, and has now thawed into muck? I am probably not ever going to be able to drum up an extraordinary amount of money for this old girl, but I would like to be confident in it once I have finished everything.

Whew, that was long winded, sorry.

Last edited by tonytwotimes; 08-18-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

aussie lockers are good lockers. throw one in and enjoy the extra traction when you are done.

but i would consider a full case locker if you are replacing the front gear set, as you will be setting up gears anyway. a detroit or grizzly locker will be stronger and hold up better, but the downside is about double the price of a aussie
Old 08-18-2012, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

1. Welcome
2. Do not engage 4x4 on dry pavement. Even if you have a full time transfer case there really is no point. Save it for off road and snow
3. Heater core is absolutely a pain. I hated doing mine
4. I strongly agree with cheapcherokee that a full case locker is the right route
But for your applications, I think a front Aussie locker will be plenty
Old 08-18-2012, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

To answer one of your questions, a posi d35 doesnt exist to my knowledge...but a locker on a 35 with anything over 31s is pretty dangerous...all 27 of those splines may decide their relationship with the axleshaft needs to end
Old 08-18-2012, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Parsnip
To answer one of your questions, a posi d35 doesnt exist to my knowledge...but a locker on a 35 with anything over 31s is pretty dangerous...all 27 of those splines may decide their relationship with the axleshaft needs to end
Some d35's (like mine) came from the factory with an LSD. And when throwing down some rubber it will, for the most part, posi. It's no locker, but very helpful in most situations.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Ok, i didnt know that lol