Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker Questions Need Opinions ETC

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Locker Questions Need Opinions ETC

Went to the offroad park near me mid febuary and since then I can't stop thinking I'd like to get some locking diffs. I got stuck on an icy hill while my buddy happily climbed to the top. Granted, besides the lockers he did have vehicle weight on his side.

My question is, should I lock the front and rear or just one. In the latter, which one?

I'm just now starting to understand diffs so if this seems stupid please forgive me.

Should I change the gearing at the same time? I'm thinking 4.56 as I plan on going up to 32's some time next year.

98 sport
D30 front
C8.25 rear
Stock gears
2'' lift
30'' tires for now
Old 03-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

What type of locker are you looking at? If you are going with a lunchbox and your jeep is your dd I would do front only and see how you like it. You will only really notice the front locker when you are in 4wd, other than the clicking when you make tight turns.

So far as changing gearing its up to you. Its easier when its all apart but not necessary if your only running 30's right now.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 PM

Year: 1997/2014
Engine: 4.0L I6/3.2 V6

I've got almost the same setup as you. Mine's a 97 with 3" and 31s. I've decided in going with selectable, either ARB or Ox and will probably change to 4.56 at the same time (of course thats a few thousand dollars away). Point is, I'd suggest going with the selectable over the lunchbox if you have the money. It will give you more control and allow you to be fully open on the road.

As for gearing, in my opinion 4.56 is the way to go on a d30 and 8.25 (especially just on 32s). If you need more later you'll probably want to do a lot more work to your axles or even swap them out for a d44/8.8. Going to 4.88 with huge tires on the stock axles seems to be a recipe for disaster based on what I've read here
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

If your re-gearing do both front and rear lockers at the same time as the same labor is required.

I run a 33x12:50x15 tire and run 4.56 gears with Detroit Lockers front and rear not a DD but do drive it on the highway and no issues.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:10 AM

Year: 1998

My plan is to do both front and rear gears at the same time, might as well do lockers too. Would there be any disadvantage to doing a LS in the rear and selectable up front? Or just doing one or the other? I like the idea of selectable. I like that they would be much quieter on the road.

What about durability? Are the LS just as reliable as Selectable?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Rcrivolio
My plan is to do both front and rear gears at the same time, might as well do lockers too. Would there be any disadvantage to doing a LS in the rear and selectable up front? Or just doing one or the other? I like the idea of selectable. I like that they would be much quieter on the road.

What about durability? Are the LS just as reliable as Selectable?
A LSD won't be beneficial off road. Selectable lockers are the way to go if you have the cash. I went ARB in my 8.25 & Yukon (Ziplocker) in my HP D30. Know your gearing before ordering lockers as it'll dictate what locker you get for the 30 as there's a break in gearing. I liked OX, but it wasn't much cheaper when you add everything in.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

I have 456 and auto lockers on 31s in my dd and I like it but it would be nice to step up to 33s and with this set up I won't have to regear. And I don't notice the lockers on the road except when my rear wheels chirp on corners sometimes. Or when the front one makes noises some times