Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Locker Help

So I have an Ected electronic locker in my d30 right now. The idea behind an elocker is great, but my ected isn't disengaging immediately, causing me to not be able to steer at all. This has put me in a few tight spots until the clutches finally disengage.

I was looking into getting an actual E Locker but a guy on craigslist has a d30 with a powertrax in it. Will this "autolocker" give me the same issue as my current set up where I won't be able to turn? I'm not saying when throttling hard through turns (I know it will lock then) but on just normal throttle usage.

Any help would be great.

d30 4.56 gears
Old 05-19-2013, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danjr2010
So I have an Ected electronic locker in my d30 right now. The idea behind an elocker is great, but my ected isn't disengaging immediately, causing me to not be able to steer at all. This has put me in a few tight spots until the clutches finally disengage.

I was looking into getting an actual E Locker but a guy on craigslist has a d30 with a powertrax in it. Will this "autolocker" give me the same issue as my current set up where I won't be able to turn? I'm not saying when throttling hard through turns (I know it will lock then) but on just normal throttle usage.

Any help would be great.

d30 4.56 gears
I have a spartan auto locker. In 2wd you really dont even notice you have one. In 4wd it still turns great. No problems.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

Iv got a aussie auto locker in my D30 and iv had no problems i love it
Old 05-19-2013, 04:05 PM

Do yall have any trouble with it not locking when you need it to?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Once you'ce had a selectable upfront it's tough to go to a lunchbox locker.

Get the Eaton E-Locker instead.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L6

Do yall have any trouble with it not locking when you need it to?
no when u put it in 4wd the locker engages by the torque in the front axle
Old 05-19-2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Once you'ce had a selectable upfront it's tough to go to a lunchbox locker.

Get the Eaton E-Locker instead.
This guy wants $300 for a d30 with 4.56's, diff cover, new tie rod ends (including steering) and powertrax. I have 4.56's and elocker. But if I can't get my locker working right, I'll be out another $750 for elocker and at least $50 for diff cover, etc.

It seems like I can't go wrong with the deal. I am just trying to see if I will have the same issues. If I will, then there is no point getting the other axle and will just work on hydro assist so I can turn the dang thing. What would you do in this situation. I really don't want to sink $750 on a d30 at this point.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2KXJJEEP
no when u put it in 4wd the locker engages by the torque in the front axle
You aren't understanding my question. I know how the locker works. What I mean is do you have any trouble with it staying locked and not allowing the outer wheel to turn (i.e. teeth running over each other as designed, what is commonly heard as clicking in the front end). Thus it would not allow you to turn very much at all.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by holycaveman
I have a spartan auto locker. In 2wd you really dont even notice you have one. In 4wd it still turns great. No problems.
Hard to say, I guess. This gentleman says there are no issues, but the guys I know with auto-lockers have trouble turning when getting on top of obstacles, as the locker is engaged still when they need to turn.
With selectables, the issue still exists, because when unlocking, it needs to be unloaded to disengage. But usually if you let the wheel turn where it wants for a moment, or rock the jeep a little back and fourth, you can get a sweet spot to let it slip out. If you are otherwise happy with the locker, I'd probably look at hydro assist. If you do a lot of wheeling, it is probably going that way anyway, right?
Once I went to 35s, with the frame cracking despite bracing and going through parts store steering boxes about once a year, that is what I am doing.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

I really don't understand.

In 4wd on the trail no matter the condition my xj turns great with the front auto locker. Both wheels are engaged yet it turns easy. I have heard other people say its hard to turn but this is not my experience at all.

I am currently running agressive 33 10.50's. So it can't be the tire. Maybe their steering sucks?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

probably because your only on 31's, the difficulty changes when tire size goes up. Both wheels spinning at the exact same speed will cause that
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by N20jeep
probably because your only on 31's, the difficulty changes when tire size goes up. Both wheels spinning at the exact same speed will cause that
Who me?

I am on very agressive heavy 33's.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by holycaveman
Who me?

I am on very agressive heavy 33's.
i dont know why, but i thought i saw 31

well then either your lockers sipping, or your in material thats too soft to make a difference, but both tires spinning at the same speed will want to make the jeep go straight rather than turn, and that's what makes the steering feel difficult
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 PM

Engine: I 4.0

Any help would be great.

d30 4.56 gears
E-lockers are great, ected lockers commonly have the problem you describe, by buddy runs two just lives with it, powertrax suck in my opinion. There are lots of good lockers out there these days but only a few good lunchbox lockers. Aussies are the best followed by Spartans and the rest are trash. Detroits and Yukons are great, ARBs are just to pricey for what you get.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

Originally Posted by schirm

E-lockers are great, ected lockers commonly have the problem you describe, by buddy runs two just lives with it, powertrax suck in my opinion. There are lots of good lockers out there these days but only a few good lunchbox lockers. Aussies are the best followed by Spartans and the rest are trash. Detroits and Yukons are great, ARBs are just to pricey for what you get.
Please tell me why powertrax "suck"

I've been running a no slip in the rear for two years and don't have a single complaint. I live in new England it's a dd and sees snow

Quick Reply: Locker Help