Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locker and axle question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default locker and axle question

Hey guys looking for some input. I have a 98 I bought. Not sure of the lift size on it but I'm running 31s as of now. Gonna bump to 33s after these wear out. My question is I have the chrysler 8.25 in the rear open diff. Just blew a u joint, so while the drive shaft is out it got me thinking...I really need a locker for the trails I've been on (cougar buttes, John bull, holcomb creek etc.) But just looking at the lunch box lockers for now. Want to do an axle swap in the future. Which one is the best? Aussie, detroit, yukon? And would new alloy shafts be recommended for that tire size? And would it still be a 29 spline shaft even tho I have the 8.25 and not the D30
Old 11-10-2015, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by projectxj98
Hey guys looking for some input. I have a 98 I bought. Not sure of the lift size on it but I'm running 31s as of now. Gonna bump to 33s after these wear out. My question is I have the chrysler 8.25 in the rear open diff. Just blew a u joint, so while the drive shaft is out it got me thinking...I really need a locker for the trails I've been on (cougar buttes, John bull, holcomb creek etc.) But just looking at the lunch box lockers for now. Want to do an axle swap in the future. Which one is the best? Aussie, detroit, yukon? And would new alloy shafts be recommended for that tire size? And would it still be a 29 spline shaft even tho I have the 8.25 and not the D30
I personally went with a powertrax no slip locker in my 29 spline 8.25. The D30 was never offered as a rear axle if that's what you mean by "I have the 8.25 not the D30" the D35 is the rear axle that is weak and not well liked. The 97+ 8.25 is 29 spline. I'm on 31s with mine and have no complaints. Lunch box lockers are a really easy install (took me 2 hours taking my time).
Old 11-10-2015, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

What are you plans as far as tire size. The 8.25 is fine to 35s when you build it and converted to discs with mostly factory parts. I have a Detroit trutrac in mine with alloy shafts and only plan to weld the tubes to the housing because I can.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:57 PM

Sorry ya I meant the D35. But as far as tire size I probably won't get bigger than 33s....ever. (I say that now right) with that being said axles are probably not necessary? Stock components with a lunch box can handle it?
Old 11-10-2015, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Sorry ya I meant the D35. But as far as tire size I probably won't get bigger than 33s....ever. (I say that now right) with that being said axles are probably not necessary? Stock components with a lunch box can handle it?
Yup. You will be fine. Alloy USA for the shafts is my reccomedation and no idea on the lunch box. I have a full case lsd.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:10 PM

Appreciate the input guys!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A full case locker is much stronger than a lunchbox and quieter for sure I use a Detroit Locker (Auto Locker) in my 8.25/D30 both.

You say that you have 31" tires now but going to 33's later when you do you will need a gear change for sure. A 33: tire needs 4.56 gears and it works ok with my 35's also, I run both sizes. In fact I installed then and ran a 31" for a while to try out another brand of tire for several weeks, talk about power lots of it. If you do install lockers and money allows you really should re-gear at the same time as lockers same amount of labor on most..

As far as axles I run the stock 29 spline in mine with zero issues on both 33's and the 35's never have broken one in over 3 yrs. on 33's, 1 1/2 on the 35's. I do carry spares for the 8.25 and D30 with me.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98

lock that 8.25. good on stock axles w/ 33s
Old 11-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Member

So you're out here in SoCal? John Bull is a great trail. But don't think you need lockers just because it's a hard trail. I ran it open/open, with my stock axles, 30/8.25 and stock gears, 3.55. I stayed in 4lo and 1st the whole trail and I did everything people locked did. Just gotta air down and pick the right lines.

But as stated above, you will need a gear change to run 33s. 4.56 is optimum. I've done both 4.11s and 4.56s and I think 4.56s are a little better for 35s, but that's just me. You can't go wrong with Detroit. Alloy a good shaft. Take a look at Revolution as well. They are selling shafts now too and they seem pretty sturdy.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998

In my opinion;
Low Budget = Lunchbox (Spartan, Lokka, Lockright, etc) $200-300
Mid Budget = Detroit Locker $570 + Install (do it when you upgrade gears)
High Budget = OX or ARB Selectable - $900 + Air/Shifter $150 + Plus install

I plan on running a Lunchbox until I can afford a Detroit myself. Then my daughters jeep will get the Lunchbox.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:47 PM

Engine: HO 4.0

Having your driveshaft out is not going to make the gear/locker install any easier... The diff does not need to come apart.

As for the locker, I would suggest a Detroit Truetrac posi limited slip for the rear. They work great at locking the axles when a tire starts to slip. Very reliable and for a DD weekend trail rig it is perfect in my opinion.

The lunchbox lockers work although they are very noisy. I do not know anyone that enjoys hearing the popping noise they make when turning.

Best option would be a selectable locker, either ARB or electric like Eaton.

Just my thoughts.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by xjcherokee2000
Having your driveshaft out is not going to make the gear/locker install any easier... The diff does not need to come apart.

As for the locker, I would suggest a Detroit Truetrac posi limited slip for the rear. They work great at locking the axles when a tire starts to slip. Very reliable and for a DD weekend trail rig it is perfect in my opinion.

The lunchbox lockers work although they are very noisy. I do not know anyone that enjoys hearing the popping noise they make when turning.

Best option would be a selectable locker, either ARB or electric like Eaton.

Just my thoughts.
I have a powertrax no-slip and after the break in it's pretty much not noticeable. It's the quietest lunch box locker. I'm glad I went that route.

Last edited by SatiricalHen; 11-13-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wait till you replace the gears then do the lockers for the rear which does most of the work I would suggest a full case locker like the Detroit Locker. Its much stronger and only about $200 more than a lunchbox. It is superior to a lunchbox in strength, usability (better locking), quality.

I found with just the rear locker I could access's trails that in the past with open diff. that had required 4wd to get through them now just 2wd. I would have no problems using a lunchbox in the front till you can afford a selectable locker.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rereading your question it seems you already decided on a Lunchbox, This is my opinion from reading up on it, and very limited use

All of them will make some noise, you have to get use to coasting around corners (because any gas/torque will lock the wheels), if you hit the gas expect some tire chirping, the freaky thing will be an occasional BANG (like you just snapped an axle or ujoint) when backup up or pulling into a parking spot on pavement.

== LUNCH BOXES ==

Powertrax no-slip would be the most quite one. But at $455 also the most expensive.

Lokka is the Cheapest $199 and originally built Aussie Lockers for them until they opened their own plant in the US and made slight improvements - but they have always been known for quality and holding up.

Spartan - $310 includes a new shaft with the locker which is nice, I had one in my Dana 44 rear in my TJ and the bangs and noises would freak me out at times - it is probably one of the loudest out there.

Aussie $310 - use to be made by Lokka for the US, now they are made in USA and has had a few upgrades.

==FULL CASE LOCKERS ==

After that there is a few choices in FULL CASE LOCKERS, and require install so you might as well install your gears as they will need the same amount of work as installing the old gears again on the new case.

Detroit Locker $660 is probably one of the oldest case manufacturers after Dana, the same locker is used in many race cars producing 1000HP plus and probably much more. It is BRUTE STRENGTH, but will make noise here and there (as I heard in my buddies Firebird with 1000HP) but not near as bad as a Lunchbox - Also found in Military Vehicles quite a bit - This is what I plan on going with on my Cherokee eventually (currently welded - bought axle that way) - this will be 90% trail and 10% street driven on 35's

Detroit Tru Trac - (Corrected via XJCherokeee2000 as available) $667 - Great for those that daily drive their jeeps and deal with snow and rain, because it is a POSI that won't lock the other wheel until it feels the one slipping so you get better control of the jeep on the street (no fish tailing etc), but traction when needed on the trial or in the snow, and cheaper than a selectable. Great choice for a Daily Driver and wheeler.

OX - Air Locker - SELECTABLE $1093 for Locker and Compressor (I think includes shifter as part of new cover included) - a fairly new system - Yes a Selectable is nice and ironically from research Currie did it is more effective in the Back than Up Front as far as turning radius.
Facebook Post

AIR Air Locker - $975 + Air Compressor $160 - $1135 TOTAL - Very Strong system but if you get an air leak it won't lock.

I plan on running stock axles shafts and it will be the last of my upgrades (already have rear Disc Brakes) but first will upgrade front Dana 30 truss and axles shafts (RCV's in a perfect world), Rear Detroit (currently welded), Front Detroit (have a Lokka for now), then rear axle shafts..... Of course everyone has different opinions, mine is mainly based on a budget, I rather go with a Detroit and RCV's up front than go with Selectable and other Alloy Shaft Upgrades....... and sometimes a great deal comes around and all my plans get switched around......

Last edited by bryweb; 11-14-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:25 PM

Engine: HO 4.0

Originally Posted by bryweb
Rereading your question it seems you already decided on a Lunchbox, This is my opinion from reading up on it, and very limited use All of them will make some noise, you have to get use to coasting around corners (because any gas/torque will lock the wheels), if you hit the gas expect some tire chirping, the freaky thing will be an occasional BANG (like you just snapped an axle or ujoint) when backup up or pulling into a parking spot on pavement. Powertrax no-slip would be the most quite one. But at $455 also the most expensive. Lokka is the Cheapest $199 and originally built Aussie Lockers for them until they opened their own plant in the US and made slight improvements - but they have always been known for quality and holding up. Spartan - $310 includes a new shaft with the locker which is nice, I had one in my Dana 44 rear in my TJ and the bangs and noises would freak me out at times - it is probably one of the loudest out there. Aussie $310 - use to be made by Lokka for the US, now they are made in USA and has had a few upgrades. ==FULL CASE LOCKERS == After that there is a few choices in FULL CASE LOCKERS, and require install so you might as well install your gears as they will need the same amount of work as installing the old gears again on the new case. Detroit Locker $660 is probably one of the oldest case manufacturers after Dana, the same locker is used in many race cars producing 1000HP and probably much more. It is BRUTE STRENGTH, but will make noise here and there (as I heard in my buddies Firebird with 1000HP) but not near as bad as a Lunchbox - Also found in Military Vehicles quite a bit - This is what I plan on going with on my Cherokee eventually (currently welded - bought axle that way) - this will be 90% trail and 10% street driven on 35's Detroit Tru Trac - I DON'T BELIEVE THEY Make One for Chrysler 8.25 - not that I could find. OX - Air Locker - SELECTABLE - Yes a Selectable is nice and ironically from research John Currie did (from Currie Enterprises) it is more effective in Back than Up Front as far as turning radius. He Actually runs a Detroit up front and a Selectable in Back (I figured he would go with Selectables front and back) Rereading your question it seems you already decided on a Lunchbox, This is my opinion from reading up on it, and very limited use All of them will make some noise, you have to get use to coasting around corners (because any gas/torque will lock the wheels), if you hit the gas expect some tire chirping, the freaky thing will be an occasional BANG (like you just snapped an axle or ujoint) when backup up or pulling into a parking spot on pavement. Powertrax no-slip would be the most quite one. But at $455 also the most expensive. Lokka is the Cheapest $199 and originally built Aussie Lockers for them until they opened their own plant in the US and made slight improvements - but they have always been known for quality and holding up. Spartan - $310 includes a new shaft with the locker which is nice, I had one in my Dana 44 rear in my TJ and the bangs and noises would freak me out at times - it is probably one of the loudest out there. Aussie $310 - use to be made by Lokka for the US, now they are made in USA and has had a few upgrades. ==FULL CASE LOCKERS == After that there is a few choices in FULL CASE LOCKERS, and require install so you might as well install your gears as they will need the same amount of work as installing the old gears again on the new case. Detroit Locker $660 is probably one of the oldest case manufacturers after Dana, the same locker is used in many race cars producing 1000HP and probably much more. It is BRUTE STRENGTH, but will make noise here and there (as I heard in my buddies Firebird with 1000HP) but not near as bad as a Lunchbox - Also found in Military Vehicles quite a bit - This is what I plan on going with on my Cherokee eventually (currently welded - bought axle that way) - this will be 90% trail and 10% street driven on 35's Detroit Tru Trac - I DON'T BELIEVE THEY Make One for Chrysler 8.25 - not that I could find. OX - Air Locker - SELECTABLE $1093 for Locker and Compressor (I think includes shifter as part of new cover included) - a fairly new system - Yes a Selectable is nice and ironically from research Currie did it is more effective in the Back than Up Front as far as turning radius. Video Link: https://www.facebook.com/Currie.Enterprises/videos/896666337070253/ AIR Air Locker - $975 + Air Compressor $160 - $1135 TOTAL - Very Strong system but if you get an air leak it won't lock. I plan on running stock axles shafts and it will be the last of my upgrades (already have rear Disc Brakes) but first will front Dana 30 truss and axles shafts (RCV's in a perfect world), Rear Detroit (currently welded), Front Detroit (have a Lokka for now), then rear axle shafts..... Of course everyone has different opinions
They do indeed make a detroit true-trac for a c8.25.

We run one on my wife's jeep.

Quick Reply: locker and axle question