Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock Right (or any lunchbox) locker question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l, I6, Renix
Default Lock Right (or any lunchbox) locker question.

Hey guys quick question, will a lock right type locker in the front diff be noisy if 4x4 is not engaged? My inclination is yes unless manual hubs are used, right? Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 95
Engine: I6 4.0 242 HO

I did a lot of research on this, lockrite specifically (which I have front and rear) won't cause an issue in 2x4, most claim you won't even remember its there until you engage 4x...
I am having gears done on my 30/44 by the end of the month they'll be installed, I'll get back to you on them then.

Spartans in particular hit very hard, not as advisable for front, my dads rear snaps 2x as loud as my lockrites
Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 PM

Engine: 4.0

My Spartan is dead silent, never hear it click or pop. That is up ftont, can't tell its there in 2wd. If someone can there is something wrong with their locker. They require torque on the Cross shaft to engage.

Last edited by outkast; 08-10-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 PM

Year: 2000

I have Spartans front and rear on my 2000. I have a SOLID diff cover and run 85-140 gear oil. I rarely hear it clicking.
The comment above is incorrect about you shouldn't hear it.. It is designed to click as the teeth ride over each other in 2WD. You will hear it, but you get used to it. If it is not clicking, that means it is engaged or locked and you will feel it in the steering wheel when you turn. It has to click when you turn or it would be locked and you would be chirping tires on pavement.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

I have an aussie in the front. No noise or anything, can't tell it's there in 2wd. I have a spartan in the rear and it is loud. Get an aussie, you'll be glad you did
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

If you still have a disconnect in the front then in 2wd it should never click as it will be locked but not engaged to both wheels. If you have both solid axles then it should click a little even in 2wd since one wheel must turn faster than the other which is what makes it click.

I have been reading up on these a lot since I have been considering getting one, I haven't experienced them first hand yet, but what I said above comes from knowing how they are engineered to work. I am actually looking to get a Lokka for my D30 soon.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

You will really only hear it turning hard. Depending on which locker you use its nothing more than a clicking anyway. Not very noticeable.
If your really worried about it you could use a no slip. They work a little differently but make no noise while unlocked.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ct67_72
. Not very noticeable.
If your really worried about it you could use a no slip. .

I had one in my 8.25 and it was garbage. Kept breaking, and no replacement parts to be found.

I just welded it.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jamison
I have Spartans front and rear on my 2000. I have a SOLID diff cover and run 85-140 gear oil. I rarely hear it clicking.
The comment above is incorrect about you shouldn't hear it.. It is designed to click as the teeth ride over each other in 2WD. You will hear it, but you get used to it. If it is not clicking, that means it is engaged or locked and you will feel it in the steering wheel when you turn. It has to click when you turn or it would be locked and you would be chirping tires on pavement.
You took my comment out of context, clicking is normal. There should be no binding in 2wd as there is no power to the pinion there for no pressure on the cross shaft. Lunch box lockers function by the cross shaft acting upon a ramp locking the teeth together. It should drive like an open diff (except clicking) when in 2wd, if not something is wrong.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 PM

Mine never clicks, but it does knock pretty good on tighter turns, especially U-Turns. Of course you eventually learn how to steer with it and avoid knocks and clicks and noise in general. But the trade off is well worth it once you actually need it in 4wd.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

My buddy had spartans front and rear in a TJ, they were loud, his was an auto. In my Xj I have an aussie in the back, and mine is a manual, you have to have the radio off and listen hard to hear it even on the sharpest turns with the clutch mashed or it in nuetural..
Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by outkast
You took my comment out of context, clicking is normal. There should be no binding in 2wd as there is no power to the pinion there for no pressure on the cross shaft. Lunch box lockers function by the cross shaft acting upon a ramp locking the teeth together. It should drive like an open diff (except clicking) when in 2wd, if not something is wrong.
Correct, misunderstood what you were saying...
Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 PM

Engine: 4.0l, I6, Renix

Hhhmmmm. So it sounds like it depends on the rig somewhat as some say theirs is almost silent, others say theirs are loud. Interesting. Figure it is a combination of driving style, fluid selections, axle wear, and manual/auto ect. accounting for the differences in noise. Kinda seems like a gamble weather or not any particular axle will be loud/ annoying or not.

Still on the fence. Does sound like the Spartans are quite popular here though. Thanks for the insight so far guys!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have heard Lockrite, Spartan, and Aussie lockers to have noticeable click when turning.

No idea how everyone is getting the magical silent lunchbox lockers. Unless there alot of people hard of hearing, any of these lockers are audible in hard/tight turns.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Boost Happy
I have heard Lockrite, Spartan, and Aussie lockers to have noticeable click when turning.

No idea how everyone is getting the magical silent lunchbox lockers. Unless there alot of people hard of hearing, any of these lockers are audible in hard/tight turns.
Thicker gear oil, and HD diff covers help make them quiet.

Quick Reply: Lock Right (or any lunchbox) locker question.