Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted Jeep, do you need Droped PITMAN ARM???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lifted Jeep, do you need Droped PITMAN ARM???

I have a 5.5" lift on my XJ. I have RC disco's, and the RC adjustable trackbar with the drop bracket. RC said I NEEDED the drop pitman arm with the drop bracket/adjustable track bar at my lift height. I'n still learning all this 4x4 stuff, but I think my drag link and track bar are near the same angle WITHOUT the dropped pitman arm.

The problem I'm having I think is bump steer. Can you XJ pro's look at my pictures here and let me know

1: Are the angles good here

and

2: Would it be better, with the drop pitman arm?

I have basically all new front suspension and components, ball joints (new front shocks, sprins, sway bar bushings(poly), disco's (RC), trackbar w/ drop bracket, drag link (Grand Cherokee) with ends, upper and lower X-flex control arms, and drop brackets for the control arms, and tie rod ends pitman arm to knuckle.

It feels like I have to conciously counter steer when hitting bumps.

It's been aligned...twice. Tire are like new. The alignment shop said the reason why is my rear thrust angle is off. The paper chart shoes0.14 degrees to the right of centerline. I can't imagine that (if accuracy and truely off) is enough to do anything.

Can you help?

Last edited by Vincenza V; 01-26-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix

Originally Posted by Vincenza V
I have a 5.5" lift on my XJ. I have RC disco's, and the RC adjustable trackbar with the drop bracket. RC said I NEEDED the drop pitman arm with the drop bracket/adjustable track bar at my lift height. I'n still learning all this 4x4 stuff, but I think my drag link and track bar are near the same angle WITHOUT the dropped pitman arm.

The problem I'm having I think is bump steer. Can you XJ pro's look at my pictures here and let me know

1: Are the abgles good here

and

2: Would it be better, with the drop pitman arm?

I have basically all new front suspension and components, ball joints (new front shocks, sprins, sway bar bushings(poly), disco's (RC), trackbar w/ drop bracket, drag link (Grand Cherokee) with ends, upper and lower X-flex control arms, and drop brackets for the control arms, and tie rod ends pitman arm to knuckle.

It feels like I have to conciously counter steer when hitting bumps.

It's been aligned...twice. Tire are like new. The alignment shop said the reason why is my rear thrust angle is off. The paper chart shoes0.14 degrees to the right of centerline. I can't imagine that (if accuracy and truely off) is enough to do anything.

Can you help?

looking at picture #1
You have a "bent" track bar(made that way" What you need to do is look at the picture...dont look at the bar itself..but draw a imaginery line between the piviot bolts and you will "see" the difference in angles.so yes..get a drop pitman arm.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

Tighten ur trac bar. Then get a new drop arm
Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 AM

Copy that on the pitman arm.

"Tighten ur trac bar. Then get a new drop arm"-It is tight. I checked about a week ago, thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Domaas-thank you so much for explaining it to me in an easy to understand way. I was alway looking at the bend in the bar, not the pivot points.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Pictures are too close to see if angles are correct. XJ should not need a drop pitman for lifts below 5"-6", above 5"-6" you might. If you get bump steering issues.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 AM

Domaas-I did the RC drop pitman arm this weekend (remember, I'm at 5.5" lift). What a difference!!! I am no longer consciously having to counter-steer and it drives so much nicer. There's nothing I would change about it now. I can't thank you enough for your sharp eye to be able to notice that. It's a hard area to photograph. You obviously know your stuff!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix

Right on bro, glad i was able to help you out! Now, going wheeling for me..lol...im a long way off...so i can wheel with you in spirt.