Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift, shock, tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Lift, shock, tire advice

Hello and Thanks for your time.

I have a 98 XJ and am ready to pull the trigger on a forced upgrade.

I picked up my bone stock XJ a year ago with only 9k on the odometer, she'd been sitting in a garage for 15 years after the previous owner passed away.

40k later:
The leafs are flat or worse.
Death wobble
Stock LCA's looking weak from rust
Brake Lines mildly dry rotted.
Shackles are rusty
Shocks are rusty

She's a DD yet I want to do some wheeling in NE FL, nothing extreme, Not going to Utah anytime soon. Ride quality is a must. I spend all day in her.

I was considering the RE 4.5" kit with out shocks because it is more complete than some kits I've looked into. The rear leafs concern me. I'm afraid they'll be to stiff.

I really like the Currie kit, JJ's are awesome and the leafs look like they would be more forgiving on the street. Just not as complete a kit and more $.
OME springs look similar to the Curries
Opinions??

I don't have any information on the RE shocks, but then again, I don't see anyone recommending them. Bilstien 5100's or OME long Travels?
Opinions??

Tires:
Goodyear MT/R w/ Kevlar
Mickey Thompson Deegans
General Grabbers
Pro comps extreme AT
looking at 32x11.5x15's
Needs good on road handling and low noise

Opinions??

I want to make the right choice the first time and not regret it. If your going to offer an alternative, please back it up with info or 1st hand knowledge.
Thanks for your time and experience
Attached Thumbnails Lift, shock, tire advice-101_9384.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

This is the lift I have:
http://www.metalcloak.com/XJ-Cheroke...ion-p/7180.htm

Very complete, with an excellent ride on and off road. Its so good on road that my wife, who knows and cares nothing about cars noticed it enough to actually mention it to me.

I run 31x10.5r15 tires on stock wheels with this kit. I only have rubbing issues when I am fully flexed out off road, but I'm missing part of my bump stops up front.

https://i.imgur.com/6ZQEQhd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zYi0qQm.jpg
Old 07-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will not buy a 'kit'.

Kits are for lazy unimaginable people without the ability to think.

Look to JKS TB, JKS ACOS, OME, Bilstein, Ironman for uppers and lowers. Nitto for tires. And if you are going all out....Fuel for wheels. And don't be afraid to go 17s or 18s......15s are a bore.

Nice find on a XJ in storage.

Yeah, all your rubber has rot, that is to be expected, mileage means little in your situation.

Edit:
If you like a firm ride- Look to General Spring for the rears, contact them for the correct ride height.

Last edited by Jeep Driver; 07-25-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:05 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
I will not buy a 'kit'.

Look to JKS TB, JKS ACOS, OME, Bilstein, Ironman for uppers and lowers. Nitto for tires. And if you are going all out....Fuel for wheels. And don't be afraid to go 17s or 18s......15s are a bore.

Yeah, all your rubber has rot, that is to be expected, mileage means little in your situation.

Edit:
If you like a firm ride- Look to General Spring for the rears, contact them for the correct ride height.
Nothing wrong with buying a kit, but you need to make sure it has quality components, and that it's complete. That said, I have pieced together my kit over time and am almost ready to install. I'm patient, and I do my homework before jumping into things. Some people like the convenience of a kit.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by roninofako
Nothing wrong with buying a kit, but you need to make sure it has quality components, and that it's complete. That said, I have pieced together my kit over time and am almost ready to install. I'm patient, and I do my homework before jumping into things. Some people like the convenience of a kit.

In bold-

That was my point.

Somewhere in the kit will be a weak link.

Buy the part, the best part you can afford.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:22 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by roninofako
In bold-

That was my point.

Somewhere in the kit will be a weak link.

Buy the part, the best part you can afford.
In bold-

That was MY point.

I am not everyone. While I agree with your way of thinking, it isn't for everyone.

The MetalCloak kit listed above I have heard good things about. Serious Offroad also has a good LA kit, with quality components, and complete. Even with good shocks (Bilsteins). I was going to buy Frank's LA kit, when I had a deal on a RockKrawler 3 link land in my lap. I have purchased my OTK steering from him, as well as a JKS OTK TB, and am placing my order for RE leafs, coils, and the h/w to complete the kit from Serious soon. His customer service is stellar as well, and better to have someone in your corner should problems arise.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by blown455sd
She's a DD yet I want to do some wheeling in NE FL, nothing extreme, Not going to Utah anytime soon. Ride quality is a must. I spend all day in her.
Try it the way it sits before you screw up the suspension geometry with a probably unnecessary expense. You will be surprised where you can go.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

hey, your steering wheel is on the wrong side..lol
Old 07-25-2015, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will not buy a 'kit'.

Edit:
congratulations. i think this has been the ignorant thing i have seen posted on this site, and ive seen bimmerjeeper's posts......

there is nothing wrong with buying kits. different kits help keep a person in budget. also helps them from forgetting items as they rip apart the suspension.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

I don't have any information on the RE shocks, but then again, I don't see anyone recommending them. Bilstien 5100's or OME long Travels?
Opinions??
the RE mono tube are built by bilstien i believe

Last edited by abodyjoe; 07-25-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by abodyjoe
the RE mono tube are built by bilstien i believe

Yep....
Old 07-25-2015, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's a kit not to buy.....
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...Path=419_2040&
Old 07-25-2015, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by abodyjoe
hey, your steering wheel is on the wrong side..lol
must have happened during the heater core / evaporator replacement.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
congratulations. i think this has been the ignorant thing i have seen posted on this site, and ive seen bimmerjeeper's posts......

there is nothing wrong with buying kits. different kits help keep a person in budget. also helps them from forgetting items as they rip apart the suspension.
Also with kits, you are getting pieces that are design/tested to go together taking out any surprises during install and are often warrantied better than parts bought here and there. (ie, if you have a shock break, they cannot blame it on a wrong application)

Ride comfort was mentioned in the first post. My XJ rides _very_ well after installing my lift kit. Its a newer/not as common setup, and you don't have to buy the kit, they sell the individual pieces. If you can pick up the shocks, rear springs cheaper, they are just OME, the front springs and control arms i would HIGHLY recommend.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s

I'm not going round and round with you people.......not worth my time.

Nor do I want to buy your ****-n-a-kit.

I think for myself, I do realize that's a foreign concept to most of you.

Quick Reply: Lift, shock, tire advice