Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6 MPI
Post Lift questions...

I need some advice on what lift to go with...
I am looking at the 4" Fabtech, and the 4" Rough Country for my 01 XJ. Any and all info and/or stories about experiences with these products are much appreciated..
Is there any welding involved with the Fabtech? Why is the Rough Country so cheap? What do they come with?
I have looked at all the info i can find on the web sights but they give me limited, generic information.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Well if you're looking for a lift in that price range I would consider taking a look at the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift too. I have never heard many people rave about Fabtech lifts.
A lot of people are using the Rough Country lifts and like them. Just know that if you go with the Rough Country lift you are probably gonna need to run an SYE and CV driveshaft.

Both the Rough Country and Fabtech lifts come with add-a-leafs, which is the reason that they are cheaper lifts. They both do not require any welding.

The thing about about add-a-leafs is that depending on what condition your stock leafs are in, using an add-a-leaf would really just be like putting a band-aid on a piece of crap. Yeah it will look great to start, but once those leafs start to settle in, your rear end will start to sag.

If your budget allows you to spend more than $500-600 bucks for a lift, than I would seriously consider going with the RE 3.5" lift but instead of the add-a-leaf, have them give you a a full 3.5" leaf in the rear, then get yourself a .75" coil spacer for the front because those leafs in the rear would probably give you more like 4.25" of lift.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

dont over look rusty4x4 also
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

We offer kits with full springs as well as the AAL. The low price is based off of a few different reasons but quality is not one of them. There are a lot of product reviews out there but my advice would be to find someone locally that has or is running one of the kits you mentioned and get their opinion. Forums always tend to have biased opinions based off of knowledge they read instead of exp

If I can be of any help let me know.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO 242

I love my 4.5 inch RC lift. The shocks I got are pretty stiff but then again I should have upgraded to the 2.2 shocks. Probably do that when I go to the 6.5 long arm. I would highly suggest getting the control arm drop brackets, it helps the ride and is only slightly worse than longarms but much better than the stock location. I have had great success with both Grimmus and Rough Country.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L6 MPI

My $ range is about a grand. I am putting Bushwacker Cut Outs on it when I get the tires so that should take care of the trimming I might need to do... Right?
17's are the only size I can get the wheel I want with a -12 offset. I figure the extra space will make up for the extra wide tire..