Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lift Questions

I just bought a 2000 XJ for my son (I currently own an 04 TJ) and am in love with this jeep. It is stock and the underside is solid with very little rust. Of course I am thinking of all the mods I want to do and have to live with my budget. I just installed a new headliner and am pretty sure I will put on a Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust before winter. The shocks are original and the leaf springs seem to sit a bit flat to me. most of the bushings seem to be in need of replacement. I plan to do a 3" lift in the spring and run 31x10.5x15 tires. This jeep will see some sand and snow but no major trails or off-roading aside from easy trails. I was surprised at how expensive lifts are for the XJ and with how little they come with. I am considering the 3" lift from ZONE with full leaf pack - I would add the extended front sway bar links, T-Case drop and new stabilizer. That should run me about $675. My RE front coil snapped on my TJ last summer and I put a ZONE kit on it and have been very happy with the ride and performance so far. I am going out weekly and spraying my rear leaf bolts and shock bolts as well as everything else with penetrating oil and hoping by the time I get to the lift they don't snap. So here are my questions:

This kit does not come with replacement control arms and I don't plan to install adjustable ones but I feel my bushings should be replaced - Opinions on the MOOG Control Arm Bushings (rubber) vs Energy Suspension (poly)? Since the kit does not come with this I could get to it this winter and have it done and out of the way.

The most this vehicle would tow is a small utility trailer - Opinions on ditching the rear sway bar or should I keep it and replace the bushings ?- I doubt I would need extended arms in the rear and again if I keep it I could replace the bushings now and have that done (or ditch it).

This kit has you re-drill and relocate the trackbar - I am not a big fan of this but I also don't see the need to invest in an adjustable - Opinions?

Any other considerations or advice is welcome....

Thanks
Old 10-25-2016, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by TuffMdr
I just bought a 2000 XJ for my son (I currently own an 04 TJ) and am in love with this jeep. It is stock and the underside is solid with very little rust. Of course I am thinking of all the mods I want to do and have to live with my budget. I just installed a new headliner and am pretty sure I will put on a Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust before winter. The shocks are original and the leaf springs seem to sit a bit flat to me. most of the bushings seem to be in need of replacement. I plan to do a 3" lift in the spring and run 31x10.5x15 tires. This jeep will see some sand and snow but no major trails or off-roading aside from easy trails. I was surprised at how expensive lifts are for the XJ and with how little they come with. I am considering the 3" lift from ZONE with full leaf pack - I would add the extended front sway bar links, T-Case drop and new stabilizer. That should run me about $675. My RE front coil snapped on my TJ last summer and I put a ZONE kit on it and have been very happy with the ride and performance so far. I am going out weekly and spraying my rear leaf bolts and shock bolts as well as everything else with penetrating oil and hoping by the time I get to the lift they don't snap. So here are my questions:

This kit does not come with replacement control arms and I don't plan to install adjustable ones but I feel my bushings should be replaced - Opinions on the MOOG Control Arm Bushings (rubber) vs Energy Suspension (poly)? Since the kit does not come with this I could get to it this winter and have it done and out of the way.

The most this vehicle would tow is a small utility trailer - Opinions on ditching the rear sway bar or should I keep it and replace the bushings ?- I doubt I would need extended arms in the rear and again if I keep it I could replace the bushings now and have that done (or ditch it).

This kit has you re-drill and relocate the trackbar - I am not a big fan of this but I also don't see the need to invest in an adjustable - Opinions?

Any other considerations or advice is welcome....

Thanks
Looks into the cracked head issue on 2000 and 2001 jeep cherokee. You may need to budget for that. As far as lifts, there not really expensive to me. Quite modest actually. Zone is quality. Also DO Not pit a transfer case drop. Not really a good idea.I used energy suspension and am happy.

Ditch the sway bar. You should invest in an adjustable one. Drilling is a terrible idea.

Overall you have a good plan. I just encourage you to look into the cracked head issue or look for signs of replacement
Old 10-25-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prior to me the vehicle was owned by a Chrysler Technician who had within the past 7000 miles replaced the camshaft, timing chain/gears, Head, lifters and pushrods and water pump. I feel pretty good that the bad stuff is behind me.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by TuffMdr
Prior to me the vehicle was owned by a Chrysler Technician who had within the past 7000 miles replaced the camshaft, timing chain/gears, Head, lifters and pushrods and water pump. I feel pretty good that the bad stuff is behind me.
Sweet. As far as your plan, what if your son wants to have a bigger lift in the future? Regardless, I would avoid the transfer case drop and also get an adjustable track bar
Old 10-25-2016, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Personally, I would invest in control arms. I'm at 3.5" with stock arms, and my caster is off quite a bit. I have a 3 link long arm going in shortly! Plan was to go long arms the entire time, so I've just been dealing with it for the last year and a half.

Just go with the adjustable track bar. Yes it's an extra expense, but they're stronger than stock, and you don't have to drill anything.

Rear sway bar? I don't tow anything so I can't recommend one way or the other.

Lastly, at 3" you may or may not need to go with a Tcase drop or SYE (slip yoke eliminator). Lift it, drive it, see how it feels, and go from there. SYE's are the real fix for post lift driveline vibes. A Tcase drop will wear out your motor mounts faster.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Personally, I would invest in control arms. I'm at 3.5" with stock arms, and my caster is off quite a bit. I have a 3 link long arm going in shortly! Plan was to go long arms the entire time, so I've just been dealing with it for the last year and a half.

Just go with the adjustable track bar. Yes it's an extra expense, but they're stronger than stock, and you don't have to drill anything.

Rear sway bar? I don't tow anything so I can't recommend one way or the other.

Lastly, at 3" you may or may not need to go with a Tcase drop or SYE (slip yoke eliminator). Lift it, drive it, see how it feels, and go from there. SYE's are the real fix for post lift driveline vibes. A Tcase drop will wear out your motor mounts faster.
A quick 2nd on this guy. I do tow with mine with no swaybars. I would say anything under the 3000lb area once in a while is fine, it felt stupid tight ride wise with the rear sway in. mine started as a 3" lift and found myself chasing all the little extras the PO didn't do.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at this lift http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html
Trackbar http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10215.html and you don't need a sye kit most of the time around 5 inches of lift and never use a t case drop.