Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift options

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lift options

Hello everyone, I am finally getting back into Jeeps, after a year long venture into the Mustang world. I am looking at getting a 96 XJ 4x4 and want to know what my lift options are. I am wanting to do a 4.5 inch lift with 33's. What I don't want is to have a Jeep that sits way up in the front and low in the back. Would I need to add a leveling kit to accomplish a proper lift? The Kit I am looking at is the Rusty's spring pack 4.5" kit (http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html). Thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM

Year: 1996

The rear will sit higher than the front, at least until the leaf springs wear in. Rusty's had problems with their trackbars in the past, don't know if thats been corrected or not.

Personally I would get their lift with just springs/shocks and get the trackbar & control arms from IRO or RE.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by ta2tony
The rear will sit higher than the front, at least until the leaf springs wear in. Rusty's had problems with their trackbars in the past, don't know if thats been corrected or not.

Personally I would get their lift with just springs/shocks and get the trackbar & control arms from IRO or RE.
Rusty and Re coils come from the same company however rustys leafs are junk
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Rusty and Re coils come from the same company however rustys leafs are junk
I hadn't heard anything about their leaf springs being junk.

Personally, I think RE's leafs are junk. If I buy a 3.5" lift I don't want my rear to sit at over 5" of lift, requiring me to purchase a SYE...thats just as much of a quality issue to me as RC's leafs being too short.

And RE's coil rates are considerably stiffer than the coil rate of Rusty's (240lbs vs. 150 lbs if I recall).

BTW, I run Rusty's coils and OME leafs.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '99 and '91

Originally Posted by jsmith823
Hello everyone, I am finally getting back into Jeeps, after a year long venture into the Mustang world. I am looking at getting a 96 XJ 4x4 and want to know what my lift options are. I am wanting to do a 4.5 inch lift with 33's. What I don't want is to have a Jeep that sits way up in the front and low in the back. Would I need to add a leveling kit to accomplish a proper lift? The Kit I am looking at is the Rusty's spring pack 4.5" kit (http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html). Thanks in advance!
DONT buy it.

Not because of the spring or the shocks. That track bar has quite a few cases of snapping. Usually seems at the worst time.

I've had a Rustys 3" kit. Full leafs. Springs are fine. Leafs and coils. I've had them on my 91 for 3 years now. No noticeable sag.

But. When I got that kit, before I really knew. They gouged me on shipping. When I went to order their OTK steering last year. Same thing. So I'd say check the shipping quote first either way.

Still don't get the track bar. My recommendation, go for the Iron Rock Of road double shear track bar.

Zone seems to have great reviews recently. I've got a pair of shackles from them. Very stout. Great welds overall nice build. Also, there's is a vendor on here that gives great prices on Zone lifts.

I'd just do some more research before you spend anything.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

This guy:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/zo...pension-81692/

Check out Zones website. If you decide on some thing from them. PM him for a good price.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM

Year: 2001

Rustys coils are as good as RE packs.
Ive wheeled both, and id go as far as saying the RE leafs dont flex as well as the same size rustys packs.
Rustys coils are much softer rate than RE..Rustys comes in 150lb and 180lb rate.

Rustys is the best budget brand IMO..just stay away from their Track Bars.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by DieselD
DONT buy it.

Not because of the spring or the shocks. That track bar has quite a few cases of snapping. Usually seems at the worst time.

I've had a Rustys 3" kit. Full leafs. Springs are fine. Leafs and coils. I've had them on my 91 for 3 years now. No noticeable sag.

But. When I got that kit, before I really knew. They gouged me on shipping. When I went to order their OTK steering last year. Same thing. So I'd say check the shipping quote first either way.

Still don't get the track bar. My recommendation, go for the Iron Rock Of road double shear track bar.

Zone seems to have great reviews recently. I've got a pair of shackles from them. Very stout. Great welds overall nice build. Also, there's is a vendor on here that gives great prices on Zone lifts.

I'd just do some more research before you spend anything.
Not the double shear. As long as he upgrades to the double shear with the bushing ends instead of a tie rod it'll be fine. The ONLY problem that people were having was that the tie rod ends were failing on his track bars. I've got the double shear and i'll bet money it wont break.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb

Not the double shear. As long as he upgrades to the double shear with the bushing ends instead of a tie rod it'll be fine. The ONLY problem that people were having was that the tie rod ends were failing on his track bars. I've got the double shear and i'll bet money it wont break.
True. I just said that because the kit he linked to showed the pitman arm version.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
The t/b in the kit being questioned is the single shear/tie rod end unit...
Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by DieselD
True. I just said that because the kit he linked to showed the pitman arm version.
Originally Posted by ta2tony
The t/b in the kit being questioned is the single shear/tie rod end unit...
Thats why i said..

As long as he upgrades to the double shear with the bushing ends instead of a tie rod it'll be fine.
But seriously.. dont run the single shear track bar from Rustys... I still wouldnt trust it. But i can say the double shear is an absolute beast. Everything about it is beefy.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the great replies everybody. You have helped a lot. I am now looking to do a 3 inch and 31s because it better suits my budget. I found a 99 XJ that I am going to pick up tomorrow for 3350, so I will have about 1500ish left over. What I am considering is going with a spacer and shackle set from fat bobs (http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-ch...001-p7608.aspx) My roommate has the 2 inch kit and it looks and performs great. What I am wondering is should I do a kit like that and purchase a set of Skyjacker hydro 7000 shocks for $150, so I would be in a total of $250, or spend the extra hundred and get the 3 inch add a leaf kit from RC for $350? Either way, I need to clear 31s and I DO NOT want the front to sit higher than the rear. Thanks in advance guys (and gals)!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jsmith823
Thanks for the great replies everybody. You have helped a lot. I am now looking to do a 3 inch and 31s because it better suits my budget. I found a 99 XJ that I am going to pick up tomorrow for 3350, so I will have about 1500ish left over. What I am considering is going with a spacer and shackle set from fat bobs (http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-ch...001-p7608.aspx) My roommate has the 2 inch kit and it looks and performs great. What I am wondering is should I do a kit like that and purchase a set of Skyjacker hydro 7000 shocks for $150, so I would be in a total of $250, or spend the extra hundred and get the 3 inch add a leaf kit from RC for $350? Either way, I need to clear 31s and I DO NOT want the front to sit higher than the rear. Thanks in advance guys (and gals)!
I'd do Rusty's 3" coils, new upcountry leaf springs (about 1" lift) and the RC adjustable 2" lift shackle (adjustable to level it out) and whatever white body shocks you can find (about $100 total) from rusty's, RC, etc. They're all the same.

That's just me, I'm not a fan of AAL.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

How are the leafs on the XJ your picking up?

If your set on only spending like 300 bucks then you don't have a ton of options.

Let me know what your max lift budget is and ill make recommendations
Old 05-03-2013, 05:15 PM

My leafs are in good shape, the Jeep sits level and rides fine. I am looking at getting a set of new Rubicon wheels since they are so cheap. If I do that I will have more to throw into a lift kit, but if not I plan on having around $350 - $400 to put into it.

Quick Reply: Lift options