Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is lean on Jeep "normal"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Is lean on Jeep "normal"?

See attached, I have about a 1 1/2" difference between the same distance ground to under fender flare from the passenger side to the drivers side. The Jeep was like this when I bought it and I thought when I put the 3" lift kit on it would fix it, but the same condition still exists?

I had chalked it up to "normal" or at least common based on forum research but stopped by a local 4x4 shop today and guy told me its absolutely not normal and should not be that way? I have an appt next week for him to check it out, just wondering what everyone's thoughts are? Could this be from something on the lift kit being installed wrong? Almost looks like the body is not square with the axle.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Is lean on Jeep "normal"?-lean.jpg   Is lean on Jeep "normal"?-under1.jpg   Is lean on Jeep "normal"?-drivers.jpg   Is lean on Jeep "normal"?-pass.jpg  

Last edited by pbiancardi; 11-20-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by pbiancardi
See attached, I have about a 1 1/2" difference between the same distance ground to under fender flare from the passenger side to the drivers side. The Jeep was like this when I bought it and I thought when I put the 3" lift kit on it would fix it, but the same condition still exists?

I had chalked it up to "normal" or at least common based on forum research but stopped by a local 4x4 shop today and guy told me its absolutely not normal and should not be that way? I have an appt next week for him to check it out, just wondering what everyone's thoughts are? Could this be from something on the lift kit being installed wrong? Almost looks like the body is not square with the axle.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Im going to assume the ground your on is perfectly level.. Then no its not normal, what kind of lift do you have?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Looks like the coils aren't installed properly. Usually the lean is on the passenger side and to the rear.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller
Im going to assume the ground your on is perfectly level.. Then no its not normal, what kind of lift do you have?
Yes ground is level, its a Rusty's 3" Advanced Kit only been installed for a couple of weeks (but like I said Jeep was like this on the previous suspension).
Old 11-20-2014, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Can you see any signs of it being in an accident at any time in the past?
Old 11-20-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Can you see any signs of it being in an accident at any time in the past?
I'm no expert but frame looks straight and true, all gaps around hood, doors, and rear hatch are consistent and carfax report doesn't show anything. I got a pile of paperwork when I bought it and I think it may have had the front grill replaced at some point so maybe a fender bender that wasnt reported???
Old 11-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

I'm no expert but frame looks straight and true, all gaps around hood, doors, and rear hatch are consistent and carfax report doesn't show anything. I got a pile of paperwork when I bought it and I think it may have had the front grill replaced at some point so maybe a fender bender that wasnt reported???
How about the unibody? On my current xj I have absolutely NO signs of body damage or different hatch door gaps ect, but my rear unibody has kinks on both sides. It was rearended and the factory rear hitch pushed back kinking just the unibody. Can notice slight bow in rear floor with carpet removed.

It leaned 2" to the driver side. I ended up having to have a Lift shackle on my driver side, and stock on passenger to stop it from leaning/stop my driver shackle from bottoming out on even the smallest bumps.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Brandonrcm
How about the unibody? On my current xj I have absolutely NO signs of body damage or different hatch door gaps ect, but my rear unibody has kinks on both sides. It was rearended and the factory rear hitch pushed back kinking just the unibody. Can notice slight bow in rear floor with carpet removed.

It leaned 2" to the driver side. I ended up having to have a Lift shackle on my driver side, and stock on passenger to stop it from leaning/stop my driver shackle from bottoming out on even the smallest bumps.
I've studied underneath and all looks straight, I have no carpet and everything looked normal when I ripped out (outside of a little floorpan rust).

Guess I'll hope the 4x4 shop comes up with something Monday.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:08 PM

Year: 1999

I actually have a similar problem with mine. it has the same lean but on the passenger side. I have a 4.5 inch lift that I installed myself. I had a mechanic look it over and he said it was all done correctly so I also brushed this lean off as normal.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 PM

I have read a lot and apparently the passenger side lean is more normal than what I have going on.

4x4 shop narrowed mine down to one of the following:

Rear JKS Shackles causing uneven front to back (rear sits high) may be affecting the front also.
Incorrect shocks (guy who installed my lift thought the shocks I had on were better than what came with the kit but 4x4 shop thinks this could be an issue).

So we are going to try:

1. Removing the JKS Shackles and using stock.
2. Replacing the shocks with the ones that came with the Rusty's kit.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

What kind of shocks are on there now? I would totally try putting on the Rusty's shocks before removing those JKS shackles.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by GreenXJ98
What kind of shocks are on there now? I would totally try putting on the Rusty's shocks before removing those JKS shackles.
Receipt shows H7016 and H7018 on there now, guy that put the lift on told me they were better than what came with the Rusty's kit, maybe he was just being lazy and didnt want to swap them.

The JKS shackles add 1 1/2" of additional lift to the rear causing it to sit higher which 4x4 shop says is an issue, is that not the case?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Receipt shows H7016 and H7018 on there now, guy that put the lift on told me they were better than what came with the Rusty's kit, maybe he was just being lazy and didnt want to swap them.

The JKS shackles add 1 1/2" of additional lift to the rear causing it to sit higher which 4x4 shop says is an issue, is that not the case?
the only way shocks would cause a lean is if one was seized, but you would feel that. As for the shackles I dont see how that could be an issue unless one was longer then the other.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Are you 100% positive that you seated the coils correctly in the coil bucket ? Is one of your coil isolators missing / busted ? Leafspring bushings ? Cracked leaf ? Are you sure you have that much lean, or maybe one of the flares was messed with? Try measuring from axle tube to frame rails instead.

Last edited by helmut; 11-24-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Also, since you have the Rusty's advanced kit, check your upper control arms. There are two different holes, for different applications, so make sure both control arms are set to the same mounting hole. Here's a pic.

Quick Reply: Is lean on Jeep "normal"?