Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Leaky engine!!

Hi wonder if anyone can offer some advice please. I have a 99 Cherokee XJ 2.5lt diesel (uk) model. I have had the rear main seal replaced but it is still leaking from the same area?! My mech has told me that it's more than likely to be the crank shaft bearings, or flywheel ( as that forms part of the seal). Can this be done with the engine in place or is this and engine out job! Thanks Jay
Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jay18usr
Hi wonder if anyone can offer some advice please. I have a 99 Cherokee XJ 2.5lt diesel (uk) model. I have had the rear main seal replaced but it is still leaking from the same area?! My mech has told me that it's more than likely to be the crank shaft bearings, or flywheel ( as that forms part of the seal). Can this be done with the engine in place or is this and engine out job! Thanks Jay
hi there! i have exactly the same problem and it is driving me mad!!! have you managed to rectify it?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by andy6903
hi there! i have exactly the same problem and it is driving me mad!!! have you managed to rectify it?
Hey Andy, have not had it fixed yet but it looks like engine out, crankshaft polished to get any grooves out and then new crankshaft bearings. A costly job, I have been told that it's very hard to stop this sort of leak completely!! So get saving for the work or new/old engine from breakers yard!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by jay18usr
Hey Andy, have not had it fixed yet but it looks like engine out, crankshaft polished to get any grooves out and then new crankshaft bearings. A costly job, I have been told that it's very hard to stop this sort of leak completely!! So get saving for the work or new/old engine from breakers yard!
thanks for the advice but i fear its time to get rid. i bought the jeep off a guy i know as i fancied doing some off roading. firstly the LSD in the rear diff had to be replaced then steering damper then discs and pads then complete clutch with throw out bearing retainer, clock spring, oil pressure sender and now it wont rev above 2000 rpm. it has been what is commonly known as a nightmare!!!! i just wish i could find a bin big enough!!!! hope you get yours sorted.