Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kuhmo road venture...good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default kuhmo road venture...good or bad?

does anyone have these tires?...trying to get some feedback on how good they are(or bad) before i buy them..
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Year: 1998

i have them right now.. they do pretty well off road and they are quiet on the road at all speeds, but they are soft and arent lasting me too long. just because of that i wouldnt recomend them i guess.
I have talked to other people that run them and said theyve had theres for a year and a half or so on daily drivers and they still had a good amount of tread so idk
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

i have seen these tires raced in the TORC series (i know it doesnt apply here), but for running 15 laps on a 2 mile coarse, they can only barely make it. i would never recommend any kind of Kumho tire to anyone
Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I am using Kuhmo's right now and I like them so far. They have been on for a little over a thousand miles so far so I don't have an info on how long they last but they have handled quite well in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:39 PM

Year: 1995

I have had them on for two years on a daily driver and they aren't bad. They wear alright and in snow they are all right but in deep snow they jam up quick
Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by nicky929
does anyone have these tires?...trying to get some feedback on how good they are(or bad) before i buy them..
The MT's are great, although I have not had anything smaller than a 35! I have heard that the 31's or 32's wear quicker...??? But ever since Goodyear stop making the original MTR, I went to these! I will be ordering the 32's in the kuhmo mt when my coopers wear out!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by JCKustoms
But ever since Goodyear stop making the original MTR, I went to these! I will be ordering the 32's in the kuhmo mt when my coopers wear out!
Wait...what? You're bought Kumhos instead of the MT/R Kevlar? Explain how that makes sense. I have no experience with the Kumhos personally (frankly, I've never even seen them in person) but on paper they're an inferior tire to a variety of mainstream offroad tires. Why try to reinvent the wheel? I'm genuinely curious why somebody would choose a Korean off-brand over the more well proven options.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by IXNAYXJ
Wait...what? You're bought Kumhos instead of the MT/R Kevlar? Explain how that makes sense. I have no experience with the Kumhos personally (frankly, I've never even seen them in person) but on paper they're an inferior tire to a variety of mainstream offroad tires. Why try to reinvent the wheel? I'm genuinely curious why somebody would choose a Korean off-brand over the more well proven options.
Personal preference...that's all.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost and preference I guess... sorta like when someone asks you why in the hell are you road racing a cherokee...

I've read a lot of great reviews on the KL71 and its one of the few directional M/T's on the market. I've drifted and autoX'd on some Kumho 712's and MX's and I wouldn't say they're that bad of a tire for the price. They don't chuck terribly and if run through a couple heat cycles, and allowed to cool, you can get some get life from them.

I know there are a couple members on here with the KL71, maybe they can shed some light.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:27 PM

Year: 1997

hey my thing,i have tsl swampers..i love they way they look and perform,but they're almost slicks.seems like they wore out pretty fast, so i need to get some tires soon
Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

I hear that. If you do look for reviews on the KL71. It seems full size higher load rated vehicles go through them pretty quick but from what I've read from cherokee owners is that they have done well and getting ~30k out of them. I haven't put someone of the spot asking so I can't say for sure. I know the one on here is bright yellow, if that helps... haha.

I plan to get some, so I'll let you know... just not sure when that'll be.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:02 PM

I've run Kumho Ecsta MXs on a street car in the past, they weren't bad, but certainly not as good as some others I've had. It can be well argued that tires are the single most improtant factor in any car's performance (everything you do, suspension, axles, etc has to be transfered through the tires), so I just don't understand why somebody would knowingly hobble themselves with an average tire.

For a budget 2-ply sidewall tire, I'd suggest the Interco TrXus M/T. They're cheap, work well on pavement and are a really decent off-road tire. If you're willing to step up a little, check out GoodYear Duratracs. They look like an M/T, wear and drive like an A/T. Just my $.02.

Last edited by IXNAYXJ; 01-21-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

my dad has the A/T's on his 90 bronco and they do great for what he does,mild off road
Old 01-21-2011, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

so I just don't understand why somebody would knowingly hobble themselves with an average tire.

Price likely. not to mention its not necessary to get 100% from your setup on a road vehicle. Think about your typical all season, you're looking at threadwear numbers in the 800's...

Lots of other things come into play with each specific tire too... For instance, you can run a slightly softer sidewall on a larger wheel and get less deflection due to the stretch; the same can be said for M/T's on an smaller/larger wheel. Hell, you could take the wrong line on the trial and its not really going to matter. As long as the thread doesn't fall apart it suits most people.

I like the KL71 for the directional pattern. I've read that it really helps clean the tire out. I've also read that it helps load them up in reverse.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by s14unimog
Price likely.
I actually looked, they're not really much cheaper than, for instance an MT/R Kevlar.
Originally Posted by s14unimog
I like the KL71 for the directional pattern. I've read that it really helps clean the tire out. I've also read that it helps load them up in reverse.
I'm not really a huge fan of directional tires...I really don't think it buys you much. That being said, I'm currently running a set of these:

Quick Reply: kuhmo road venture...good or bad?