Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JKS (ACOS) Observation

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default JKS (ACOS) Observation

I purchased these because my build is going to have a snowplow and I wanted to be able to adjust the front suspension each winter to take the added weight and back it off again in the spring.

This system has a built in approx 1.5 inch lift at it's lowest setting so when attempting to install the coil springs I was reminded how when I did my budget 2 inch lift the coils need to be compressed in order to install even with the axle fully drooped. Not a problem but it did make me question something I wished I'd have thought of before purchase.

The adjusting ring is smooth with no knurling or any other grip to assist when turning. It depends on the axle droop relieving the pressure. However, even at lowest setting there's a certain amount of preload from the springs and certainly gets more as you go. So I gave JKS a call.

I was assured that it can be turned with a strong grip when axle is drooped and the suggestion was made to notch a relief at the pinch point of the LCA and shock mount which I was considering doing anyway but when I pointed out that this was for plowing and making yearly adjustments I got kind of a disclaimer. It appears the threads are already difficult to keep clean enough to allow adjustments but if you throw in salt corrosion on aluminum ???

I guess time will tell but I'm not feeling so great about this move now.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Don't how much it'll help but living in Buffalo, I put never seize on every bolt I wrench on. Can't say how it'll work with those, but might help.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about buying them at some point.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

x2 on the anti-seize. In addition get some yellow can WD40 and coats the threads everytime you expose them to elements. It wouldn't hurt to rinse them first before you do that.

Anything will corrode if you don't take care of them. Not a fault of the product... just make sure to keep the threads clean.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

So you think it's the manufacturers fault. That you failed to properly maintain your vehicle???????? You knew you lived in an area with snow and ice. You knew the roads your are clearing with said plow might be treated with salt. You knew that if you don't remove said salt it will disolve anything made of metal? Simple little bit of due deligence on your part would have made your life a bit easier.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '99 and '91

Slather them with grease or some other kind of lubricant and keep em cleaned/lubed through the season.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

Easy guys I wasn't saying the product is defective and my build isn't yet complete so nothing is rusted yet. My point was that adjustment may not be as easy as implied and more than expected maintenance may be required. I anticipated lubricant but I didn't anticipate (at least not until I started install) the suggestion of notching out a relief to allow the LCA to drop down further (not mentioned in install instructions). Also, the suggestion that a spring compressor might be needed when pushing the adjustment to its limit, something I didn't mention above but was part of the discussion with the tech. This last point is what took some of joy out.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It doesn't take a much taller coil and/or a decent sized spacer (I think 3~3.5" total?) to necessitate a compression tool; that LCA/shock mount tab is a real limitation. It's the axle's fault more than anything. If you didn't have any lift to start with it wouldn't be an issue.

Had my ACOS on now for 3 years and zero issues. Threads are still immaculate thanks to DOT in the PNW not using salt, but I make sure to wash them thoroughly anyway after playing in the dirt/mud/sand. Only had to adjust them twice but didn't have any problems either time. Much easier now with long arms.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Spring compressor is to be expected to adjust. I had no assumptions adjusting them would be easy when I got mine. Realize they're aftermarket parts. They all take some a degree of effort to maintain and use. I don't see either one as a big deal. Jack up the front, let the suspension hang, compress spring and adjust.

My only gripe is the slick surface. I would like to see it notched so I can use a spanner wrench. Other than that, no big deal.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Member

So to make sure I am understanding these. If I remove my stock spring perch along with the .75" poly spacer and install ACOS at the minimum 1.5" setting, will my lift change approx .25" or .75" higher? I really don't want to go any higher, but I like the idea of these along with the improved bumpstop. Any thoughts or other options I'm missing?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:14 PM

I've had mine on for several years now and have not had any issues with corrosion on the threads. Just follow the advice given: make sure you clean the threads regularly and spray with pretty much any spray lubricant to coat the surface.

Side note to all: be VERY careful with the use of anti-seize or any lubricant on torqued nuts, bolts or fastener assemblies. Torque values are given for CLEAN, DRY, THREADS and the use of anti-seize, etc. will alter the coeffcient of friction dramatically requiring you to REDUCE the max torque applied. In some cases the reduction can be as much as 40%.

There's a long-winded explanation of the mechanics of this which I won't bother getting in to. Suffice it to say that I learned this the hard way and wound up researching it after the fact.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Still fighting those Metal Cloak springs sounds like. I used this same adj. spacer with my 3" coil for the 4 1/2" lift works great.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ss427ci
So to make sure I am understanding these. If I remove my stock spring perch along with the .75" poly spacer and install ACOS at the minimum 1.5" setting, will my lift change approx .25" or .75" higher? I really don't want to go any higher, but I like the idea of these along with the improved bumpstop. Any thoughts or other options I'm missing?
ACOS adds 1.75" of lift at it's lowest setting.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Still fighting those Metal Cloak springs sounds like. I used this same adj. spacer with my 3" coil for the 4 1/2" lift works great.
Please point out were I have complained about Metalcloaks dual rate coils???? I am in love with these springs. I am looking at better bump stop options, which has nothing to do with the performance of the spring.

Try again Fred, lol
Old 10-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
ACOS adds 1.75" of lift at it's lowest setting.
Thanks Frank, so if I remove both the stock and poly spring pads (~1.25") it will raise my lift approx .50"? Or is the minimum setting in reference to stock height and I will be 1" higher than I am now?

I am starting to think King, Bilstein or T&J hydraulic bump stops would be better in my application.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Just to verify you are talking about the acos pro with the bump shock? If so the min lift is listed at 1-3/8".

Quick Reply: JKS (ACOS) Observation