Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JCR Tail Light Housing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default JCR Tail Light Housing

After wanting a set for 5 years, I finally bought a set. Ended up going with a 4 wire to 3 wire conversion (I had installed the adapter box for trailer lights 6 years ago) and of course, all LED.

Did not go with the JCR LED option…too expensive. The LEDs JCR sells are Grote's with some unknown brand if you get the backup light option (which can be found on amazon for $25 or so).

What I went with were Jammy lights and the unknown brand JCR uses for the backup option. I picked up the lights for $50 and it was another $18 for the 6" oval and 2.5" round flanges.

Anyway, got the housings and all painted up and everything wired and installed. I like it…only two issues. Of course there is the turn signals are flashing like a monkey listening to jack flash after doing a few lines of coke (resistance, left the factory bulb mounts in place so all I have to do is pop the bulbs in until I get the resistors). The other is while the turn signals work, the brake light function does not (it was before I took the tail lights apart) which again could be something as simple as I accidentally ran the brake signal wire in series to the bulb when I installed the adapter 6 years ago and might just require me shorting that socket or putting the bulb back in (for now).

Now a question, does anyone know if these little 4-3 wire converters have diodes in them to keep an accidental back feed from the 3 wire accidentally making its way into the 4 wire side? I was wanting to run another trailer plug up in parallel to the front for when I flat tow the jeep.
Attached Thumbnails JCR Tail Light Housing-image-4253867472.jpg  
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Light buckets look sweet. Sorry I can't help with your problem, I'm building some LED light buckets & having similar issues with my LED's. I'll be checking in to see the resolution. Good luck
Old 08-15-2013, 05:19 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by caronaxtr
Light buckets look sweet. Sorry I can't help with your problem, I'm building some LED light buckets & having similar issues with my LED's. I'll be checking in to see the resolution. Good luck
One of my EE major friends was telling me it probably wouldn't be all that hard to just rewire the entire tail light system for 3 wire at the flasher relay.