Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Issues with headlight upgrade

Installed the Putco headlight upgrade harness, along with Autopal E code H4 housings. I used the bulbs that came installed in the housings. Install went smooth. I connected the new harness connector to the factory connector going to the passenger light. I believe I have good grounds for the lights.

The lights seem to be operating in reverse of the dimmer switch position. When the switch is on high beam (with indicator lamp in cluster lit), the headlights appear to be on low beam, and vice versa.

The relays that came with the kit looked to be identical to each other, although I didn't look at them closely. The instructions that came with the Putco harness (in broken English) didn't say anything about the relays being wire specific.

Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999 @ 2000 (for parts)
Engine: 4.0ltr

Was probably wired up wrong from the factory. Just swap the pins (hi and low) around in the plug that plugs into the OEM harness.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Upon further investigation (with the help of darkness), my issue is different than I thought.

High beam and low beam are not reversed.

When I switch to high beam and switch back to low, high beam stays on (both filaments are burning). To get low beam again, I have to turn off the headlights.

Could this be related to the headlight delay module? I remember a thread that talked about the module having issues with the Putco harness.

Where is the delay module located, and how do I wire around it? I've heard that it can fail and leave the vehicle with no lights. I would just as soon disable it. It is a Jeep, you know....
Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 PM

Fixed it!

After further research, I removed the fog lamp relay, and that cured it. I don't have fog lights. If i ever add them (doubtful), I will address the relay issue then.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Very common problem with fog lamps and this upgrade. There's a fix for it in a thread here somewhere. Probably in the "Headlight Upgrades" thread in the XJ write up section. Glad you figured it out though