Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron rock offroad or rough country

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default iron rock offroad or rough country

ok ok this has been covered a million times over between other lifts but none against these two companys.

Im ready and set to order a new lift kit,preferably 6.5" and these two are my final choics. No RE,TnT,RK nothing else just these two.

so jeepforum please help me decide my choice.

ROUGH COUNTRY plus drop brackets
http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_6x.html

OR

IRONROCKOFFROAD..long arms
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX

just to clarify no rock crawling for me,just muddy trails and DD
Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 PM

my bad,CHEROKEE FORUM...not jeep forum...bump?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

without having experienec with either kit i would say you will be much happier with the long arm kit jmo but that will ride much better
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM

yeah thats all im looking for. comfort and peace of mind in my ride. i dont rock crawl as stated just occassional mud pits and backwoods trails
Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

after studying the IR setup, i became confused, i have a setup for my comanche (long arms) and they offcourse do not look like those... (mine are stronger... currie joints and 1/4 square stock)
but what puzzles me is the one long arm in the kit looks like it has a radius arm setup on it, and the other long arm doesn't?? WTF????

i read the details and its a caster-setting attatchment of some sort..... but still i remain confused.......... (plz some-one explain to me the setup just for piece of mind)

i would opt for the RC setup though.... from word of mouth, i haven't heard a thing about IR setups and i've heard lots + about RC so i'd go fro RC for sure
Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L Air Intake and TB Spacer

I have the Rough Country DB's and their Control arms. I bought all 4 arms and the DB's at once, and the total price was maybe cheaper by <$100. If I did it again I would go with the LA kit first.
Here is a write/link for the iron rock kit
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1002165
Old 08-06-2011, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
after studying the IR setup, i became confused, i have a setup for my comanche (long arms) and they offcourse do not look like those... (mine are stronger... currie joints and 1/4 square stock)
but what puzzles me is the one long arm in the kit looks like it has a radius arm setup on it, and the other long arm doesn't?? WTF????

i read the details and its a caster-setting attatchment of some sort..... but still i remain confused.......... (plz some-one explain to me the setup just for piece of mind)

i would opt for the RC setup though.... from word of mouth, i haven't heard a thing about IR setups and i've heard lots + about RC so i'd go fro RC for sure
it is their y link long arms. they are very strong. they spent a lot of time working on these. I know it seems weird but they did it to improve from a conventional long arm system.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:59 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

i heard someone say that with the iro long arms dont bother getting the adjustable length because they are the perfect length already. I am thinking about getting their 5.5 long arm set up and was wondering if any of you guys had experience with this and if i should opt for the adjustable length la's or dont bother. thanks!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Just to clarify, the Iron Rock has the Y-arm on the driver and single lower on the passenger. When installed there is no upper on the passenger side? The stock upper is discarded. Correct?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by McCaffrey
Just to clarify, the Iron Rock has the Y-arm on the driver and single lower on the passenger. When installed there is no upper on the passenger side? The stock upper is discarded. Correct?
Yes, its still basically a radius arm. It just doesn't have the passenger side upper link. It's to reduce binding and unloading. There is litterally 100 threads on this exact same question. Use the search and you shall find.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: strait 6

its true, we've been over this a thousand times. i have a RC lift, next time i wont have an RC lift.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by McCaffrey
Its a Y link just like all others but its missing a link (!!??) I have some IRO parts and no complaints at all, way better then RC but I would never buy those longarms. They say its to reduce binding but everyone will tell you that you will either run out of shock lenght or other stuff will bind, or your coil will fall out well before radius arms will bind. Just look at pics of regular Y links and tell me if ylink binding is ever an issue. My opinion is that it was a step backwards to design those but hey I also never heard of it breaking. I just wouldnt want to take that chance. Hellbent on getting Y links , then get Serious Offroad. Arn't they the same price? For sure better.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Oh yeah. And RC sucks. Be prepared to spend another few hundred after buying that kit to get all their incorrections sorted out. The 4.5 in springs included in the kit are way too short, they will put your shackle vertical so you will have to get relocators, like you said you need drop brackets and that track bar is a toothpick (many threads on it breaking). Brake line relocating brackets are not enough for 6.5in if you plan on flexing it on the trail and why is the tcase drop included if at 6.5 in you will need an SYE anyways. And these are facts not just my opinion. So for me personally eventough I am weary of the 1/2radius setup it would be the IRO kit handsdown X 100% . Hope this helps you.

Last edited by helmut; 07-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Iron Rock deff...
Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

These are 2 bottom of the line kits as far as im concerned.

Quick Reply: iron rock offroad or rough country