Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IRO Hack an Tap SYE

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default IRO Hack an Tap SYE

Currently my XJ has approx 6" rear lift hopefully settling to 5-5.5" or so, and around 5" lift int the front. May add 1/2" coil spacer to help level. I am running a TC drop and this helps for the most part but I am noticing slight vibes around 60 mph on the highway. Does the IRO Hack and Tap SYE coupled with a stock front XJ shaft work well enough? I expect my final ride height to be around 5-5.5" in the rear and 5-5.5" in the front. I do not go off road very much, mainly snow wheeling and some light trail riding.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Never Late
Currently my XJ has approx 6" rear lift hopefully settling to 5-5.5" or so, and around 5" lift int the front. May add 1/2" coil spacer to help level. I am running a TC drop and this helps for the most part but I am noticing slight vibes around 60 mph on the highway. Does the IRO Hack and Tap SYE coupled with a stock front XJ shaft work well enough? I expect my final ride height to be around 5-5.5" in the rear and 5-5.5" in the front. I do not go off road very much, mainly snow wheeling and some light trail riding.
any proper drive shaft for SYE, front DS or new DS will work at that lift. IF your pinion angel is appropriate to the TC output shaft angle -depending on the type of DS you are running. I have a 3.5 lift with a TC drop and 80mph i have vibe. TC drop is Not a fix, it is a temporary solution. Meanwhile look at your motor mounts because i promise the are not happy at that angle and see about ditching the drop. If ide known what i know now i would have used a TC drop from the beginning. If you want a quick answer drop the front DS and fully extend it to mock its new location. Good luck!

Last edited by 4x4jeepmanthing; 11-01-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

when I first picked up my jeep it had a bad vibe with a 6" lift, no TC drop. I think that is the main reason why it was for sale, the owner only had it a short time and did not like the vibs. anyway, I picked up a Tom Woods SYE kit which included the drive and it eliminated the vibs. I also adjusted the pinion to the correct angle.

not knowing anything about jeeps I was nervous about pulling my TC apart and reinstalling the new parts. I was also concerned that due to my lack of experience I might screw something up. after completing the work it really was not bad at all and I would recommend doing it. make sure you replace all the seals while the TC is removed it.