Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a speaker amp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6-cyl
Default Installing a speaker amp?

So I am planning on installing a amplifier that connects to my two front speakers. I have to run the power directly to the battery but I dont see a good grommet to run it through? Also I dont want any interference so should I run the speaker wires on different sides of the car? Is there any diagrams that I can follow because I cant seem to find any. Thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: Straight 6

Most people use the hood latch cable hole to run through. There's also nothing wrong with drilling a new hole so long as you are VERY careful about where it's coming out. Having a friend watch the other side is helpful. To avoid interference I'd just route the power and signal wires differently. They don't need to be on opposite sides of the Jeep but don't have them touching or wrapped around each other.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by RememberTheMallamo
Most people use the hood latch cable hole to run through. There's also nothing wrong with drilling a new hole so long as you are VERY careful about where it's coming out. Having a friend watch the other side is helpful. To avoid interference I'd just route the power and signal wires differently. They don't need to be on opposite sides of the Jeep but don't have them touching or wrapped around each other.
Thank you, the hood latch cable hole looks like a good place.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Don't forget the grommet! It's very imperative that you use one or you'll have serious issues down the road if that power cable frays through.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:13 PM
THE Admin

Also run the speaker wires and RCA cables atleast 12" from the power cable to minimize feedback/interference.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: Straight 6

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
Don't forget the grommet! It's very imperative that you use one or you'll have serious issues down the road if that power cable frays through.
Yes! Heed this advice! lol My friend tried to convince me that just wrapping a bunch of electrical tape around it was good enough but all that does is delay the problem, not prevent it like a grommet will. If you use the hood latch cable hole it should already have one though.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:48 PM

Yes! Heed this advice! lol My friend tried to convince me that just wrapping a bunch of electrical tape around it was good enough but all that does is delay the problem, not prevent it like a grommet will. If you use the hood latch cable hole it should already have one though.
Yeah the grommet is already there
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Also run the speaker wires and RCA cables atleast 12" from the power cable to minimize feedback/interference.
Ok so the power coming from the battery will go through the hood latch grommet on the left side of the car and then on the right side of the car have the rca's run from the stereo to the amp, how do I get the rca's through where the stereo is? Is there a opening from there so i can take the rcas to the back of the car to the amp?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 PM
THE Admin

Originally Posted by mosesh

Ok so the power coming from the battery will go through the hood latch grommet on the left side of the car and then on the right side of the car have the rca's run from the stereo to the amp, how do I get the rca's through where the stereo is? Is there a opening from there so i can take the rcas to the back of the car to the amp?
Yes there's an opening but that's where your creativity comes in. You will have to snake it up in there and then run it to your amp.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

overall. the distance the hot wire is will dictate what gauge wire to use. for an xj i would use no less than 8 gage for the hot. 10 gage for ground. and 12 for the remote is fine.

also make sure the ground from the amp is a decent gage and as short as possible.

makesure the remote wire that goes to the fuse box on the radio fuse is not run next to the power wire. this also reduces resistance.

i would do this. in a cherokee; i would run the power wire down the driver side door sill. over the engine bay to the bat. run the remote wire dow the passenger side of the tranny tunnel. then the speaker wires from the back of the head unit down the driverside of the tunnel to the rear or wherever your mounting the amp.
hope this helps.

Last edited by OEJ; 12-08-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 PM

Yes there's an opening but that's where your creativity comes in. You will have to snake it up in there and then run it to your amp.
Also when im running the speaker wire to the side of the car that i also ran the 12v power how do i avoid interference if they are going to be so close?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by OEJ
overall. the distance the hot wire is will dictate what gauge wire to use. for an xj i would use no less than 8 gage for the hot. 10 gage for ground. and 12 for the remote is fine.

also make sure the ground from the amp is a decent gage and as short as possible.

makesure the remote wire that goes to the fuse box on the radio fuse is not run next to the power wire. this also reduces resistance.

i would do this. in a cherokee; i would run the power wire down the driver side door sill. over the engine bay to the bat. run the remote wire dow the passenger side of the tranny tunnel. then the speaker wires from the back of the head unit down the driverside of the tunnel to the rear or wherever your mounting the amp.
hope this helps.
This is very helpful, im probably going to end up doing this wiring scheme exactly.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:46 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

glad i could help. let me know if u need any help. this is how im doing mine. and x2 on the grommet through the firewall. then i would rtv it too.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Also when im running the speaker wire to the side of the car that i also ran the 12v power how do i avoid interference if they are going to be so close?
What is this car you speak of? We are jeep people here....

Just messin with ya.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Red82

What is this car you speak of? We are jeep people here....

Just messin with ya.
Haha my bad, my "XJ".

Quick Reply: Installing a speaker amp?