Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default Installing new interior lights

98 XJ, 2 door. I bought the vehicle with no trim in the interior, including headliners, dome lights, and even sun vizors. I've been piecing together my junkyard warrior for some time now, and its getting really annoying turning my phone light on whenever I want to find something at night.

I picked up a few interior lights at the junkyard-

soundbar light harness from 96 xj

dome light harness from 96 ZJ

This is my idea- install the soundbar above the rear bench and the the dome light (which is a rear dome light from a 96 ZJ) to activate with the doors open, and have the push buttons. This will work whether the ignition is on or off. I will have no problem with the speakers at all.

This is where I'm getting tied up. there are 3 wires coming off the harnesses, and im trying to match them up with the door switches. The lights should have a constant from the fuse, a ground, and a hot from the door switch, right? the confusing part is why the door switches have 3 wires in my XJ. I see a yellow, black, and black w/ blue tracer. Shouldnt it just have a positive and a ground? naturally the circuit would complete when the door is opened. My Haynes manual doesnt match up at all, showing that the doors just have a pink and yellow.

Can someone lend me a hand?