Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a Smittybilt front bumper today. Well, almost....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Installed a Smittybilt front bumper today. Well, almost....

This was my Sunday project. I started by removing the splash guards and fender flares from both sides. Broke damn near every bolt off the drivers side fender flare. Oops. Thought removing this would help me get cleaner lines and cut straight.

I cleaned everything up, reinstalled the grille for a reference point, and taped up the area I was going to cut with painters tape. Rather than try to use a level,
I taped up a string line on both sides and moved it up and down until I felt it was straight. Then I marked both ends with a sharpie and traced the straight line with a level.

Then I went to cutting off the excess fender. Once complete, I sanded the burs off with an 80 grit flap wheel. Used some touchup paint on the bare metal and covered the cut edge with some door moulding.

Mounted up the brackets to the frame. Had to drill a few holes out and fight the steering box back into place. Brackets installed. Went to mount the bumper to the brackets and it wasn't a tight fit. Probablu close to 3/8" gap on both sides between the frame bracket and the bracket welded to the bumper. Not sure what happened here.

I can just stack washers up between to fill the gap. However, im not sure if this a good idea. I'm going to call Smittybilt tomorrow and pick their brain. For now, I put the bolts in anyway because this bumper is heavy as hell and wanted it in place so I could clean up my tools.

All in all...I like the bumper a lot. Just need the bull bar and a winch to stick on it....

A view from the front.

Nevermind the uneven lines. Bumper still needs to be tightened and leveled.

That's the driver side gap.

Passenger side gap.

What the reinforcement bracket looks like.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:52 PM

I figured out my problem with the gaps. Turns out I was supposed to get some spacers with the kit for the drivers side. Smittybilt has some good customer service. Talked to the tech support department, sent them some photos, and they are sending me the missing pieces. Plus a few more lock nuts to make a better install. Hoping to have this bad boy fully installed with a winch before the weekend is out.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by rdr8887
I figured out my problem with the gaps. Turns out I was supposed to get some spacers with the kit for the drivers side. Smittybilt has some good customer service. Talked to the tech support department, sent them some photos, and they are sending me the missing pieces. Plus a few more lock nuts to make a better install. Hoping to have this bad boy fully installed with a winch before the weekend is out.
Ordered my smittybilt yesterday.. How long did your install take? I'm hoping I won't have that gap issue lol
Old 09-06-2015, 03:44 PM

I just realized they never sent me that damn piece. Really was easy and I did it myself. I just installed the frame supports and drilled out what I needed to without removing them. Made it easier.

I had a table that was the height of the bumper that helped a whole lot. Yours should come with the spacers. I bought mine second hand and they were missing. The hardest part about the install was trimming the fendors and removing everything. I'm **** so I wanted straight lines.

I'll watch this thread if you have any issues. I can get more pics of youd like.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

Sounds good, thanks! I already have mine trimmed from the lift, but need to relocate the canister soon.