Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea.... Is it possible

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Idea.... Is it possible

I have a theory on xj's.... Oil pans..... Is it possible or available to have an external oil pump and resivor like dirt track cars have. Very shallow pan w a tank and dual filter system??? Is this a good idea or just me thinking ahead of my time for off roading performance?? In put on this is all just chatting.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

It's called a "dry sump" oil system and it isn't just dirt track cars that run them.

Our Grand Am GS cars run them and have a 17 quart oil tank behind where the passenger seat used to be. Our oil runs from the pump through a cooler, 2 filters and then back to the tank to start the process over again. Our oil pans are very expensive custom machined 1-off pieces.

The main purpose for a dry sump is maintaining oil pressure in high g-load scenarios where oil scavenging becomes an issue as the oil moves away from the pump pickup.

Generally not an issue in a DD or weekend wheeler. The pumps also rob power so unless you have a pretty stout engine and a no cost spared build it isn't gonna be worth it.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

A dry sump system also offers a lower center of gravity because the engine can sit lower in the frame, but it's not worth the headache on an old XJ.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah I figured it's not cheap and wasn't sure what other applications had that. I was just thinking of the idea to get more room above the axle and less of a chance of the oil pan getting something punched thru it.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: The venerable 4.0

Originally Posted by 90xjcjf
Yeah I figured it's not cheap and wasn't sure what other applications had that. I was just thinking of the idea to get more room above the axle and less of a chance of the oil pan getting something punched thru it.
Get a skid plate
Old 08-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Seasoned Member

It was just an idea. No need to ball bust dude! Input if u have something good to put in besides get a skid plate. They can't protect everything man!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM

It was just an idea. No need to ball bust dude! Input if u have something good to put in besides get a skid plate. They can't protect everything man!
Something can still get punched through a dry sump pan even though it sits higher . . .
Old 08-16-2011, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Wasn't trying to ball bust.... dry Sump systems work very well. They are even used in some higher performance Oem setups. I could have swore they free up some HP too.... guess not on that. It would work well on a trail fit especially as was stated earlier at strange angles. Unless you have a serious serious trail rig and heavy fab skills it isn't really practical... that's all I'm saying. Might be fun if you went full custom on the engine and built a stroked turbo charged set up and wanted to make sure you never starved the system... and wanted to move the engine lower in the bay... You have to figure though the oil pan isn't the only thing getting poked down there either. Skid plates will cover pretty much everything you need to cover and you can fab em up any way you like. That being said you can make any engine a dry sump setup.

Last edited by Slick761; 08-16-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Slick761

Wasn't trying to ball bust.... dry Sump systems work very well. They are even used in some higher performance Oem setups. I could have swore they free up some HP too.... guess not on that. It would work well on a trail fit especially as was stated earlier at strange angles. Unless you have a serious serious trail rig and heavy fab skills it isn't really practical... that's all I'm saying. Might be fun if you went full custom on the engine and built a stroked turbo charged set up and wanted to make sure you never starved the system... and wanted to move the engine lower in the bay... You have to figure though the oil pan isn't the only thing getting poked down there either. Skid plates will cover pretty much everything you need to cover and you can fab em up any way you like. That being said you can make any engine a dry dump setup.
I just posted this cuz I thought it would be bad *** to have on a trail rig.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

It would. I'm sure rock buggys run it
Old 08-16-2011, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

True, but ANYTHING can happen, so who the eff cares?

This guy brought up a new subject that isn't already beaten to death. New information could generate new ideas elsewhere.

So ease up. The guy had a question, something outside the box.

Don't be jealous.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:18 PM

They are even used in some higher performance Oem setups.
C6 Z06s and ZR1s to name 2.

I could have swore they free up some HP too....
Depends on how much power the OE pump robs. Lower volume, lower pressure OE pumps may not put as much drag on the engine as a HV/HP 3-stage dry sump oil pump.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee

This guy brought up a new subject that isn't already beaten to death. New information could generate new ideas elsewhere.

Don't be jealous.
Thanks man. And who knows it may end up being very common of an upgrade for all of us. One of my customers races dirt track late models and I was looking at all the race mods on it.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee

Don't be jealous.
Holy crap! Wasn't meant to be mean. Me and my box are gonna go cry in the corner now. BTW don't new Camaro ss run em?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Holy crap! Wasn't meant to be mean. Me and my box are gonna go cry in the corner now. BTW don't new Camaro ss run em?
No one was singled out, FYI. Was just a general statement.

Quick Reply: Idea.... Is it possible