Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idaho Jeepers HELP emission laws HELP smog?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Idaho Jeepers HELP emission laws HELP smog?????

Just moved to Idaho from Cali, from what I heard I don"t need to smog or worry about any of that stuff. So with that being said my xj is all stock with a rebuilt engine just hit 1k. What vacuum lines can i start taking off what can I do other then cold air intake out here so i can have better performance. I know being stock I only have so much power it's cool. But what can I take off to run better. Straight pipe? can I cut my Cat now? anyone live in Idaho?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:21 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

What part of Idaho? I don't live there yet, but we're actively working to get out too, we've been looking and some areas have testing, some don't...our family is looking at Sandpoint and anything north of that...how do you like it there so far?
Old 05-24-2019, 11:44 PM

Hayden area, I love it. Just don't come out here to destroy the land. but I guess there's no smog an what not so wondering what i can start taking out my jeep to run smoother. Was thinking a thor intake but eh.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 6bangersj
Just moved to Idaho from Cali, from what I heard I don"t need to smog or worry about any of that stuff. So with that being said my xj is all stock with a rebuilt engine just hit 1k. What vacuum lines can i start taking off what can I do other then cold air intake out here so i can have better performance. I know being stock I only have so much power it's cool. But what can I take off to run better. Straight pipe? can I cut my Cat now? anyone live in Idaho?
A catalytic converter is federally required - not state required. Any cop could fine you if they were in the mood. Plus, straight piped 4.0s sound stupid in my opinion. A high flow cat is going to benefit you more than just getting rid of it, which will probably cause more problems than benefits if you have a stock engine.

Taking things off won't make it run any better - maintaining and upgrading will. An intake is a decent idea - especially a cowl one like the Thor if you want to off-road. Idaho seems to be riddled with trails, which is awesome! 4-hole injectors could help. A bored out throttle body is a good mod as well as a high quality header and exhaust WITH a cat.

3.73 or 4.10s would also help!

Good luck.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

If you live in a state with no emissions, a high flow cat is a waste of money over straight piping it. I have 2.5" exhaust with no cat and a flo pro dual chamber muffler and it sounds great.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Turbo 4.0

No reason to cut the cat out unless defective. The amount of money put into bolt on upgrades from reputable dealers could be put toward a stroker kit with emissions controls in place.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:51 AM

Don't want to go stroker, want to keep stock but possibly take out the vap canister or some vaccum lines. Heard with my renix engine I don't need all those vacuum lines. I have already taken out the ac any vac lins for ac need to be gone. Also my charcoal canister can I take that whole thing out now.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Model: Cherokee

What I do whenever I get a new (new to me) vehicle: Is pop the hood, reach in and grab a handful of wiring and vacuum lines and start rippin them out,, has always doubled my HP and mileage.
Seriously,, they are there for a reason, unless you do some mods to the actual engine (cam, head, CR, stroke/bore),, rippin vacuum lines out is not going to add anything but frustration.