Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Want Tighter Steering...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Question I Want Tighter Steering...

My search only found answers of people reccomending to check all the parts & run a steering stabilizer & nothing is loose or worn & im running a stabilizer.

Basically all of the steering components are good, tight & the steering is very responsive as it turns so easily that id like the steering to be a bit tighter then it is now for my daily driving!

FYI: I have a stock pump, PSC gear box turning 35's, otk 1-ton steering, & a leaky teraflex steering stabilizer.

Last edited by SeniorXJ; 02-03-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you running an inverted "t" steering? When you turn the wheel does the tie rod "roll" a little bit?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
Are you running an inverted "t" steering? When you turn the wheel does the tie rod "roll" a little bit?
Yes on the inverted t setup & no to any tie rod roll as most parts are new.

Everything in the steering system is 100%, nothing is loose or warn & its setup perfect for the trail as u can steer it with a finger. Shes very responsive, no bump steer, no wabble, no alignment issues, nadda!

What im wanting to do is stiffen up the wheel a bit for daily driving. I do believe the answer to this would be to run a stabilizer to slow the PSC gear box down, but since i have one, its either not strong enough or it needs replacing cause it does leak a bit.

In my search the only close answer i found was people saying to adjust the gear box, but those people had stock gear boxes & im unaware of any adjustments that can be done to the PSC gear box..?

Last edited by SeniorXJ; 02-03-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Model: Cherokee

Steering box brace maybe... If everything else checks out front end wise like worn bushings, etc. then that's all I can think of.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Steering box brace maybe... If everything else checks out front end wise like worn bushings, etc. then that's all I can think of.
Shes all braced up & the front end is all plated, & i have a winch bumper thats both bolted & welded on.

Is any stabilizer stronger then the next cause im not seeing anything different from one to another except for some labeled as heavy duty?? Run a 2nd stabilizer for street driving??
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

A stabilizer wont tighten it up any. What trackbar are you running? Switching out to heims if you have a bushing in there makes a difference.

Im sure you have played with tire pressure right?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89

isn't there a allen key on the steering box you can adjust the steering tightness? i know on my honda this is possible
Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tatanka
isn't there a allen key on the steering box you can adjust the steering tightness? i know on my honda this is possible
There is. but tighten it too much and the steering doesn't return to center as easily and gearbox life is reduced.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM

I have an over the axle mounted panhard bar with heims on both ends. (Ruff Stuff DIY kit).

I cant really see dropping the tire pressure, (that idea being to increase rollong resistance i think?), as an answer but i can drop it a pound or 2 max to see if it makes much of a difference.

Im liable to just drop this idea & just "get used to it" since the steering is perfect & when ur on 6.5" of lift & 35's & theres zero issues of any kind at any speed, that in itself is a gift!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SeniorXJ
I have an over the axle mounted panhard bar with heims on both ends. (Ruff Stuff DIY kit).

I cant really see dropping the tire pressure, (that idea being to increase rollong resistance i think?), as an answer but i can drop it a pound or 2 max to see if it makes much of a difference.

Im liable to just drop this idea & just "get used to it" since the steering is perfect & when ur on 6.5" of lift & 35's & theres zero issues of any kind at any speed, that in itself is a gift!!!
well i meant in a sense that to make sure you are running enough air. a 35" tire on a 15" wheel is a lot of sidewall to flex when turning. It will undoubtedly be tighter the stiffer you make that (with tire pressure or a larger wheel)
Old 02-03-2013, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L HO from a 91 Comanche.

Has anyone used a steering box from another vehicle? I've been needing to replace mine and thought this might be a good thread to ask on, were there any bolt on upgrades from trucks, etc, to provide stronger, tighter steering?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
well i meant in a sense that to make sure you are running enough air. a 35" tire on a 15" wheel is a lot of sidewall to flex when turning. It will undoubtedly be tighter the stiffer you make that (with tire pressure or a larger wheel)
Ur still on the wrong kind of "tightening" that im trying to reffer to...

Nevermind now.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

So.. are you trying to make it harder to steer? Like for instance the wheel be a little more stiff and stable when going down the highway?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
So.. are you trying to make it harder to steer? Like for instance the wheel be a little more stiff and stable when going down the highway?
Yessssssss!!

I said the wheel a few posts back but no one caught it i guess.

Not that its unstable or sloppy, i just want it tighter for everyday street driving.

Last edited by SeniorXJ; 02-03-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by n91chriss
Has anyone used a steering box from another vehicle? I've been needing to replace mine and thought this might be a good thread to ask on, were there any bolt on upgrades from trucks, etc, to provide stronger, tighter steering?
dodge durango steering boxes are popular, and cost effective.

Originally Posted by SeniorXJ
Yessssssss!!

I said the wheel a few posts back but no one caught it i guess.

Not that its unstable or sloppy, i just want it tighter for everyday street driving.
interesting. Some steering pumps have valves put in to restrict flow.

Nobody really ever looks to "downgrade" their steering, but perhaps you can do some research on power steering pumps or maybe even an oversize pulley. Might help ya out.

Quick Reply: I Want Tighter Steering...