Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need you suspension oppinions please!!!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I need you suspension oppinions please!!!!!

OK so this month im going to be redoing my entire suspension along with other things (flares, bumpers, lights, etc.)

Now my question is whats the pros cons of getting a 6.5 lift that has shackles and leaf springs????
REASON BEING

The Rough Country kit comes with
Leafs
Shackles
Coils
Shocks
Pitman arm
T-case drop
Brake Line Extenders
adj trac bar
All for 899 plus shipping

How ever i can piece together at rustys
6.5 Leafs
coils
all new shocks
and 6* shims (ill need this size right? =/)
all for $738 shipped to my front door

Whats you guys oppinion i would like to order soon so please help its making me want to
Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Ok so from my researching and my looking around i have found that everyone says stay low and trim. The reason for this is better ride on and off road, your not so top heavy, and the flex is still rly good.

The lift i am going to get is a little more money, But it will benefit you more because i was told a few bad things about rusty and rc. Some of there parts are good and some of them are bad.

So i would go with this kit.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX

Why am i going with this kit?

Because everyone says it is beefy, flexs good, parts last along time, great customer service and it comes with the following.
  • 3 Piece High Clearance HD Subframe Assembly
  • Front Long Arms with 7.5° Caster Adjuster
  • 5.5" Coil Springs
  • 3.5" Leaf Springs
  • Rear Lift Shackle
  • Hydro 8000 Shocks
  • HD Track Bar with Double Shear Frame Mounting Bracket
  • Extended Length Stainless Steel Brake Hoses
  • Extended Length Front Sway Bar Links
  • U-Bolts
  • All necessary hardware
  • Detailed Installation Instructions
Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Help guys!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

well, you want 5.5 inch leafs with a 1" shackle. the shackle gives you better flex. even better would be to add a shackle relocation box.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:27 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: inline 6 4.0 L

I am wanting to lift my 89 cherokee but idk if I should go with the 3" body from rough country or go with the 4.5" suspension from them. It's much more expensive but is it worth it?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

you need a trac bar for sure. your rustys kit doesnt have one. and you need long arms. 4.5 leafs with a shackle and shacle relocation box would be idea. you could do this all for just over a thousand. save your money and do it right the first time.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000

You want the spring and shackle, not just a spring. the 6.5" has so much arch that it will never flex with a stock shackle. The shackle cant swing enough for the spring to flatten out.
if you want 6.5, definitely run a 4.5"-5.5" pack and a 1-2" shackle. preferable the 2" because again, of the arch.
There are a lot of problems lately with the RC leafs by the way, it seems like they are using stock length springs, rearched, effectively making them too "short"
Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by evoman
I am wanting to lift my 89 cherokee but idk if I should go with the 3" body from rough country or go with the 4.5" suspension from them. It's much more expensive but is it worth it?
There is no body lift for your cherokee because it's a unibody and has no frame. They are both suspension kits. Which one you decide to go with depends on what you intend to do with your jeep, how big a tire you want to run, what fender triming you are willing to do, and how much cash you want to spend. If you are just an occasional wheeler who likes to go out and have a little fun now and then, you can get into plenty of trouble with a 3" kit and 31's. If you want to go bigger than that you can run a 3" with cut fenders and larger tires or go with the bigger kit. Keep in mind there are hidden costs the bigger you go. In addition to the cost of larger tires, you may need a slip yolk eliminator, adjustible track bar, adjustable control arms... The higher you go, the more it costs and not just the advertised price of the lift. I'm not telling you to keep it small and you may get by with what the lift comes with. Just keep in mind the possible added costs before you make the leap. I went with a 3" and 31's because I didn't want to drop the cash for to bigger lift and in the future when my xj becomes more of a toy and less of a DD I plan to cut my fenders to fit bigger tires and still keep a low center of gravity. It's all a matter of what you want to accomplish/spend. People on her can give you advice but, you have to decide what direction you want to go with your rig.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

stereodesigner, what setup are you running right now on your jeep?