Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Make the Novak cable shift kit work with a 242

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default How to Make the Novak cable shift kit work with a 242

I know Novak says their SK2XC kit should work with both the 231 and 242, but it does not provide enough throw to shift the 242 all the way from 2H to 4L.

This thread provides the best overview of the issue and completely matches my experience with a XJ w/ 242:
http://comancheclub.com/topic/36155-...ble-on-np-242/

I've contacted Novak too and they said it is just fine for the 242. It doesn't work. Novak has a video on their site showing a transfer case lever with multiple holes in it. I emailed them about it - silence.

What I first tried was to drill a hole 1/2" closer to the pivot point on the Novak TC lever. This did not fix the problem. One of the solutions on that thread is to open up the shift gate, but I didn't like that either, especially because it doesn't help stay lined up with the indicator panel.

It seemed to me like the best solution was to make the shifter lever longer. I searched and found this direct linkage kit, which includes an extension for the shift lever. I had to drill it slightly to take the ball fitting adapter from the Novak
kit, but it went together fine. I returned the transfer case clevis to the original hole - so you don't need to drill a hole in the tcase lever.

http://www.azzysdesignworks.com/stor...se-linkage-kit

Just adjusted and tested it, and it works perfectly!!!! Very direct smooth positive action, no issues getting into 2H and 4L.
This is a really easy retrofit if you've already installed the Novak kit.

Two questions you probably have:
1) why not just chuck the cable kit and use the entire direct linkage kit? (this was my backup plan) I have stock transmission mount etc and inevitably the tcase will move around, the cable means that the shifter action is completely isolated from any movement of the driveline.

2) Does Azzysdesigns sell just the shift lever extension? I don't know, you should ask them.

Attached is the picture of my shift lever, with the Azzysdesigns extension, and the Novak cable linkage ball.
Attached Thumbnails How to Make the Novak cable shift kit work with a 242-img_8815.jpg  

Last edited by ANZAC; 07-01-2017 at 06:39 PM.