Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you rhino line over paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How do you rhino line over paint?

i want to rhino line part of my 04 jeep wj limited. since it is a limited it doesn't have any plastic on the bottom quarter of the jeep where i want to rhino line. all i see is people putting it on plastic but not on paint. how do you prep the paint? I really don't want to put sandpaper to it in case i want to remove it(yes it is possible to remove it)

here is the liner i want to use if anyone is curious

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-Pol-Raptor...-/330920347811

I chose this type because what i heard is that the black doesn't fade from too much sun because it has UV protection
Old 04-09-2015, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When they put bed liner in a pickup bed they sand it so it sticks.If you put it on over paint with out sanding it will peal off over time.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Are the doors in bad shape dented up what have you is why you want to Rhino Line? If not once lined they will be very hard to repair if dented in, I know mine would be on my 04 WJ Overland but its a DD where as the XJ takes a beating here.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GingaWithAJeep
i want to rhino line part of my 04 jeep wj limited. since it is a limited it doesn't have any plastic on the bottom quarter of the jeep where i want to rhino line. all i see is people putting it on plastic but not on paint. how do you prep the paint? I really don't want to put sandpaper to it in case i want to remove it(yes it is possible to remove it) here is the liner i want to use if anyone is curious http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-Pol-Raptor...-/330920347811 I chose this type because what i heard is that the black doesn't fade from too much sun because it has UV protection
I have that on my XJ. I believe it comes with instructions. I put it on five years ago after cleaning up rust on my roof and bumpers. It's starting to come off, but only where I didn't prep well. So, if you just spray it without prep it will come off at the slightest impact, say the rubber bumper of a shopping cart while unloading groceries. Do it right and it is tough and will look smooth and even. Minimal fading... Less than XJ plastic trim molding imo. Proper prep is similar to applying new paint... Sand through the original clear coat. Wash impurities (oils mainly) and dry. Spray primer (rattle can or otherwise). Allow primer to dry and then spray the liner. I spent around $400 to do my bumpers, roof, and lower door and fenders. That doesn't include the compressor, but does include the plastic to minimize dust, tape, cleaners, mask, gloves, sand paper and blocks, etc. I used two kits, but really should have had a third. The roof ended up thin.

If you want something temporary, vinyl wrap might be worth looking into.