Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrid death wobble only over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Horrid death wobble only over bumps

Hey guys, I have a 1990 xj, With insane death wobble only when I hit bumps the front end shakes like its going to fall off and there is a loud clunking noise from the passenger side

I can drive 50 60mph on a smooth road with no problems

It has around a 6inch Sky jacker lift, With upgraded lower arms, and adjustable track bar, Running 33 10-50s, When I first bought the jeep it had the lift already, Did have a wobble So I replaced all the steering componets and had an allignment it drove amazing then, About a month ago this wobble happened, Checked my ball joints, and u joints they appear fine,

Im taking to a 4wd shop next week to be looked over I was just wondering if anyone has some Ideas

Im a tech at a dealership so im really good turning wrenches just dont know awhole lot about lifts, Thats why im stuck to the naked eye my front end looks perfect
Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Print this and go spend some time with your Jeep. This list is good.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...0checklist.pdf
Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4L

Mine did that when the sway bar bushings were shot. Put in poly ones that are greesable all better
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by bnkk
Mine did that when the sway bar bushings were shot. Put in poly ones that are greesable all better
I have jks Quick disconnects for the sway bar,
Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM

I was just out looking over my suspension still dont notice anything broken, I will post some pics tomorrow with more lite, I did notice that my driver side motor mount is completely broken the rubber is all missing, Could that affect anything in the steering
Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bnkk
whats a sway bar
Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha

K... I had the same death wobble issues, and it was not anywhere close to being associated to the sway bar... In fact i didnt have a sway bar at the time. I battled with the death wobble for a long time. I checked and replaced everything. When I lifted the jeep I put in a teraflex adjustable track bar. It was less then a year old, so I figured it was good. Sure enough there was play in the upper joint so I tore it out, and put in a JKS adjustable track bar, and that fixed it. I've been death wobble free ever since. the biggest causes of death wobble are bad ball joints, worn out track bar, worn out control arm bushings, bad alignment, and trashed tie rod ends. There are more causes, but those are the major ones to check. If your ball joints are good, your bushings look good, and all your suspension looks tight, then I'd say it's your track bar. Have someone crank your wheel back and forth while you look. If there is any movement on the upper joint, or lower bolt, then there's your problem. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM

Update!!!!

Well after 2000 dollars and 3 days in the shop, they replaced all

Ball joints
Track bar
Steering shock
Tie rod
Steering bracket
Perches on the rear axles
New rear blocks and u bolts
Tire re balance
And shocks
Plus i got a cool sticker lol
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 PM

Year: 89' soon to be
Engine: 4.0 HO 167k miles

Originally Posted by boosted1993
Update!!!!

Well after 2000 dollars and 3 days in the shop, they replaced all

Ball joints
Track bar
Steering shock
Tie rod
Steering bracket
Perches on the rear axles
New rear blocks and u bolts
Tire re balance
And shocks
Plus i got a cool sticker lol
Daaang!! Too much$$$$$. Hope its allgood now though....
Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Yeah it rides great, i am kicking myself in the @ss for not fixing it myself since I'm actually a mechanic but o well money well spent i guess
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 PM

Year: 89' soon to be
Engine: 4.0 HO 167k miles

Yeah it rides great, i am kicking myself in the @ss for not fixing it myself since I'm actually a mechanic but o well money well spent i guess
When you dont know, you dont know...you know! I thought I could do my gears, locker and axles. Luckily my friend's friend is gonna hook me up for 200.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4L

I have jks Quick disconnects for the sway bar,

It was the bushing to the frame not the links
Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 AM

Update, well after 3 weeks of driving amazing my death wobble has returned, there goes 2,000 dollars of professional work down the drain, now hoping to sell the jeep, i will post after i call the shop that did the work, I'm sure there going to say there is something else wrong to cover there @ss
Old 03-25-2012, 01:29 AM

Update, well after 3 weeks of driving amazing my death wobble has returned, there goes 2,000 dollars of professional work down the drain, now hoping to sell the jeep, i will post after i call the shop that did the work, I'm sure there going to say there is something else wrong to cover there @ss
Crawl under there and have a look at all the control arm bushing, axle and frame sides and post a pic of your set up.is it the skyjacker long arm lift with the crossmember?
Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I believe it's either your track bar, drag link, or your caster! Somewhere in there your geometry is incorrect. Definitely show us a picture of the front end components. Every vehicle to come into my shop with death wobble left fully cured. Too bad you aren't close by...

I recently fixed a 2009 F350 with a 4" skyjacker lift that just started to have horrendous death wobble (it was lifted at Les Schwab Tires 3 years ago) with a new custom track bar.

I have also never cured anyone's death wobble with new ball joints, u joints, tie rod ends, steering stabilizers, or shocks...

I hope you get it figured out soon. I know it's not fun knowing that it can happen at any moment!

Quick Reply: Horrid death wobble only over bumps