Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 strait6
Default HID headlights

Hi hows everyone doing im new to this my names will im a 911 dispatcher in PA also a volunteer firefighter. I just have a question about my HID headlights i put them in the one when on low beam the one side is bright and the other side is yellow if i turn the high beam on they just flicker like strobes. I asked someone else about it they said most likely i need a relay for them I was just wondering if someone could help me out a little bit very much appreciated
Old 09-30-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I've heard that flickering is due to a bad ground, could be related to the one side not firing correctly as well. I'd recheck your wiring and use a wire brush or sandpaper to establish a good ground on the frame, then go from there.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: in line 6 4.0l

What power are your HID? try to switch balasts "boxes", Put the left in the right side and the right on the left. Leave the light bulds on their original position. If you switch balasts and now it flickers on the other side it is a faulty balast.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:55 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

the hid conversion blows. i have it and i hate it.. its all screwed up (didn't do it myself) the lights are different colors and never turn off unless i put my brights on. I don't have brights, the brights switch is my new off button.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corcor4
the hid conversion blows. i have it and i hate it.. its all screwed up (didn't do it myself) the lights are different colors and never turn off unless i put my brights on. I don't have brights, the brights switch is my new off button.
Sounds like someone dicked you over.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 AM

I got the hid kit on mine and it works great! You really need the kit that is for high and low beam. It also comes with a relay harness. As far as the issue with lights staying on, I had the same problem. All you need to do is disconnect the the box under the dash that controls the timer on the headlights. It's right behind the panel under the steering wheel.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by 96heep
Hi hows everyone doing im new to this my names will im a 911 dispatcher in PA also a volunteer firefighter. I just have a question about my HID headlights i put them in the one when on low beam the one side is bright and the other side is yellow if i turn the high beam on they just flicker like strobes. I asked someone else about it they said most likely i need a relay for them I was just wondering if someone could help me out a little bit very much appreciated
Lol I'm a FF/Paramedic in Fl I had an identical to a T identical problem like dooner85 said above its the way your jeep is wired. I must had blown 2+ ballests when I would turn the jeep off. It's the headlight delay you'll have to pull that switch labeled HD LGT Delay. If yours is like mine the down side to pulling the switch is no horn!!!! Should definitely fix your problem. But your headlights will also not stay on anymore for the min or 2 after you shut your jeep off which I thought was fine!!!!!