Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's a fun one.. IPF headlight relay = radio randomly turns on while car is off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Default Here's a fun one.. IPF headlight relay = radio randomly turns on while car is off.

As the title states.. Searched the forum for this but not really finding anything like the issue I'm having.

99 XJ. Had it for about a month now.

Just upgraded my headlights with the IPF headlight housings, 80/110 H4 bulbs, and the IPF upgraded harness/relay. Bought it all from RockyRoad OutFitters. While the lights are pretty awesome, I'm seeing a weird issue.

Ever since installing this setup, I've come out to the car in the morning to find the radio turned on, and the lights on all the door switches lit up. Not sure exactly how long it takes for this to happen, just sometime overnight this stuff turns on, luckily this hasn't killed my battery yet.

The IPF Harness has a single relay for each headlight, then a 3rd Control relay that controls.. something.. Not really sure what the point of the third relay is.

For what its worth, my XJ has the factory foglight option, switch is there, foglight wiring is there in the front bumper, but since the P.O. removed them or something, I replaced them with a set of 55w Autozone foglights. Wasn't sure what the factory fog wiring could handle so I opted to use a relay for that too..

For completeness sake, it is an aftermarket radio, but I definitely didn't have this problem before installing the new headlight setup.

My connections are all clean and all shrink wrapped so I don't think its a short or anything related to the install. But kind of lost on where else to look.. any ideas?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

That is an odd problem you have , But XJ's are known for wiring issues I wouldn't be surprised if something is shorted out !
Old 01-19-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by Liquid_G
The IPF Harness has a single relay for each headlight, then a 3rd Control relay that controls.. something.. Not really sure what the point of the third relay is.
i just recently upgraded mine as well but my harness only had two relays one for each light. I'm wondering if it has something to do with that.my best advice would be to unplug your headlight harness and see if your problem still occurs. if not then you know it has to do with that.
Originally Posted by Liquid_G
what its worth, my XJ has the factory foglight option, switch is there, foglight wiring is there in the front bumper, but since the P.O. removed them or something, I replaced them with a set of 55w Autozone foglights. Wasn't sure what the factory fog wiring could handle so I opted to use a relay for that too..
smart idea the switch will burn up just off the stock fog lights.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

A bit more detail.

I assume the radio turns off correctly when you park the Jeep? When you put the key in and start the Jeep what happens? You need to find out where the power is coming from. It's obviously in the switch power on your radio.

Grab a manual and find any wires on the radio circuit in common with the headlight circuit. Basically, all you can do is get a meter and start tracing wires.