Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me diagnose death wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Help me diagnose death wobble?

Before I start, let me first say i have been using the search function heavily on this subject, but felt i should start a short thread about it to see if i can get a more definitive opinion.

I've just lifted my XJ to around 4" and am experiencing the DW at any speed over 35, but only after a bump. I have never had it or any kind of shimmy before the lift. I am suspecting the wonderfully ****ty rocky road adj track bar to be causing it. However, I did not have enough cash to include new upper/lower arms with the lift so I am thinking castor angle might also be causing it?

I've got enough now to buy either the IRO double shear adj track bar kit, or new upper/lower arms. Who votes track bar and who votes arms?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TheMayer
Before I start, let me first say i have been using the search function heavily on this subject, but felt i should start a short thread about it to see if i can get a more definitive opinion.

I've just lifted my XJ to around 4" and am experiencing the DW at any speed over 35, but only after a bump. I have never had it or any kind of shimmy before the lift. I am suspecting the wonderfully ****ty rocky road adj track bar to be causing it. However, I did not have enough cash to include new upper/lower arms with the lift so I am thinking castor angle might also be causing it?

I've got enough now to buy either the IRO double shear adj track bar kit, or new upper/lower arms. Who votes track bar and who votes arms?

Thanks in advance!

Have you had the Jeep aligned? If not start with that !

if you have stock arms your caster is off that can lead to death wobble, Trackbar not positioned properly will also cause it.
Worn ball joints tierod ends hubs will also cause it, bad tire balance will cause it
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Have you had the Jeep aligned? If not start with that !

if you have stock arms your caster is off that can lead to death wobble, Trackbar not positioned properly will also cause it.
Worn ball joints tierod ends hubs will also cause it, bad tire balance will cause it
I got the front end aligned at a Jeep shop, so hopefully they aligned it correctly and not just to stock specs. My pinion angle is great at the cost of the bad caster, but I'm not sure how off it is. I got the tires balanced about 10k ago and all the weights are still there. I am thinking track bar the most because i got the shop to check it and they said the bar has some play in it.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

I got the front end aligned at a Jeep shop, so hopefully they aligned it correctly and not just to stock specs. My pinion angle is great at the cost of the bad caster, but I'm not sure how off it is. I got the tires balanced about 10k ago and all the weights are still there. I am thinking track bar the most because i got the shop to check it and they said the bar has some play in it.
With stock arms and 4" of lift I can tell you for a fact that your Caster is off and so is your driveline angle. I am running Adjustable Uppers and Lowers with 3.5" of lift to get mine dailed in. Also you want it to be in the factory spec range. Tires can be knocked out of balance by hitting a bump wrong, Bad air pressures can set it off also. If your trackbar has play that is your issue.

To me it sounds like you have a few issues going on cause you just threw some stuff together to gain some height thus opened a can of worms !
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 PM

With stock arms and 4" of lift I can tell you for a fact that your Caster is off and so is your driveline angle. I am running Adjustable Uppers and Lowers with 3.5" of lift to get mine dailed in. Also you want it to be in the factory spec range. Tires can be knocked out of balance by hitting a bump wrong, Bad air pressures can set it off also. If your trackbar has play that is your issue.

To me it sounds like you have a few issues going on cause you just threw some stuff together to gain some height thus opened a can of worms !
Yeah, not the best call on my part. But i can only replace one part at a time unfortunately. So would you say an IRO double shear kit would be the best first buy or the arms?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, not the best call on my part. But i can only replace one part at a time unfortunately. So would you say an IRO double shear kit would be the best first buy or the arms?
Since your track bar has play I would do that first, It'll only get worse.

Then get controlarms and bushings for upper axle mounts
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 PM

Since your track bar has play I would do that first, It'll only get worse.

Then get controlarms and bushings for upper axle mounts
Sounds like a plan to me, im gonna add longer sway bar links to that list as well.

Thanks for the help