Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose an axle!

Old 05-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Help me choose an axle!

Before I get flamed for not searching, I have read almost every thread on here, NAXJA, Pirate, and Jeepforum regarding the 2 axles in question (8.8 D44); spent prob 12 hours total researching.

I have a 8.25 29sp, and am looking to upgrade. I run 33's now and am building my jeep to handle 35's reliably.

I just bought a front HP D30, and am building that, both axles will have a selectable locker, and both will be regeared to 4:56 or 4:88. So oem gears aren't a factor. Since both are going to be torn apart and out from under the XJ I thought I'd upgrade the rear while I'm at it to either a 8.8 or XJ D44.

Right now I can get a 8.8 complete for $100, or I have a guy a couple hundred miles away willing to ship an 89 XJ D44 for around $450 to me.

So not factoring cost as to me they'd prob end up being the same by the time I got stuff welded, brakes to where I want them, etc etc, which would you choose. I'd love to hear from people that have ran both or have experience with both. I'm just looking for the last rear axle I have to buy(I'm honest with myself, I'm not doing moab or anything crazy and will never require 9", 60, etc), and want one that can take a beating with 35's on the northeast terrain.

I have read enough of the differences on other threads that I have them memorized, I just want actual experience with both from people that have one or the either.

THANK YOU!

p.s. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, still somewhat of a forum noob.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

D44 with Alloy shafts.
No c-clips, unlimited aftermarket support.

I ran a D44's in my last heep. Bent one of the stock shafts so I swapped in a set of ALLOYUSA shafts out back...never had another problem. Yes I was on 35's and I had ample power to do plenty of damage to a stock axle assy.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by 2000CHERO
building my jeep to handle 35's reliably......

.....I just bought a front HP D30, and am building that.
well you're off to a bad start

just kidding.

all 3 of those axles are good, mostly because they will all be stronger than your front axle if you build them decently. if you break anything it will probably be your D30. actually it definitely will be your D30.

I like whatever is cheap and effective for a rear axle. a 29 spline 8.25 is about as cheap and effective as it gets. I like 8.8 and D44 too. whatever is available and easy. and relatively within budget
Old 05-28-2015, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

I have a locked dana 44 with 4.88 with stock shafts on back of my jeep with 35"s. Beat them on the rocks and didn't have any problem.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Atmos
well you're off to a bad start

just kidding.

all 3 of those axles are good, mostly because they will all be stronger than your front axle if you build them decently. if you break anything it will probably be your D30. actually it definitely will be your D30.

I like whatever is cheap and effective for a rear axle. a 29 spline 8.25 is about as cheap and effective as it gets. I like 8.8 and D44 too. whatever is available and easy. and relatively within budget
I know I'll still be limited by the 30 in the front, "building" just means c gussets and wj brakes. I figure if/when I break a one, or two, I'll consider something else in front. Building the 8.25 I have will def be cheaper, but I'm not impressed with the options of aftermarket stuff for it, specifically selectable lockers. Basically all I'm saving in cost if I go with the 8.25 is the housing; no matter what axle I go with will have disc brakes, chromos, new gears, and a selectable.

The only things I didn't read too much about were the big housing of the 8.8, and the offset pinion, and how much of problem(not problem) they are.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
D44 with Alloy shafts.
No c-clips, unlimited aftermarket support.

I ran a D44's in my last heep. Bent one of the stock shafts so I swapped in a set of ALLOYUSA shafts out back...never had another problem. Yes I was on 35's and I had ample power to do plenty of damage to a stock axle assy.
I will have upgraded shafts right of the bat, and I do like how they are the same length so I'd only be carrying a single stock spare.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

I know I'll still be limited by the 30 in the front, "building" just means c gussets and wj brakes. I figure if/when I break a one, or two, I'll consider something else in front. Building the 8.25 I have will def be cheaper, but I'm not impressed with the options of aftermarket stuff for it, specifically selectable lockers. Basically all I'm saving in cost if I go with the 8.25 is the housing; no matter what axle I go with will have disc brakes, chromos, new gears, and a selectable.

The only things I didn't read too much about were the big housing of the 8.8, and the offset pinion, and how much of problem(not problem) they are.
jeez you're going for the money shot. unfortunately it's a losing game with the D30 ring and pinion in the end but that's just the way it is.

the 8.8 is large. I absolutely love 8.8's but it may be better suited for a 37" tire half ton build. like I said, all 3 are great axles. just do whatever is easiest/available. D44 will hold best resale value
Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Banned

jeez you're going for the money shot. unfortunately it's a losing game with the D30 ring and pinion in the end but that's just the way it is. the 8.8 is large. I absolutely love 8.8's but it may be better suited for a 37" tire half ton build. like I said, all 3 are great axles. just do whatever is easiest/available. D44 will hold best resale value
It'll be built over the summer, I don't have a lot of money, but have been saving for some upgrades to my axles. It's a dd that sees lots of snow so selectables are a must as well, no way out of that cost.

If I did the 8.8 I prob wouldn't do chromos, but the other 2 I would.

The 44 the guy will ship has 4:56 gears and a carrier, both I could sell to offset the cost of buying the axle(the guy that is going to regear uses motive and won't install other gears anyway so)

Why better suited for a 37"? Hang too low?

Does the 8.8 really give any actual lift height, because I really don't want that.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

It'll be built over the summer, I don't have a lot of money, but have been saving for some upgrades to my axles. It's a dd that sees lots of snow so selectables are a must as well, no way out of that cost. If I did the 8.8 I prob wouldn't do chromos, but the other 2 I would. The 44 the guy will ship has 4:56 gears and a carrier, both I could sell to offset the cost of buying the axle(the guy that is going to regear uses motive and won't install other gears anyway so) Why better suited for a 37"? Hang too low? Does the 8.8 really give any actual lift height, because I really don't want that.
supposedly 8.8 would give you a 5/8" lift because of size of axle tubes
Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XJwonders
I guess I could always take a leaf out of my brand new leaf pack.

I think for $100 already pulled disc to disc I'll prob just get it. Maybe buy the 44 too and have them both in front of me and just decide then. Then just sell the other haha.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJwonders
this can be cancelled out with low profile leaf perches though. no big deal of course
a tad bit of lift height shouldn't be a concern anyway OP

better suited for 37's definitely because of it's size and strength. I've always wanted to build a full width 8.8 and D44 combo, but ended up going bigger instead. it's just an axle I really enjoyed abusing without a second thought. it works great on 35's, just be prepared to get hung up on it on it playing in rock gardens
Old 05-28-2015, 06:50 PM
Banned

this can be cancelled out with low profile leaf perches though. no big deal of course a tad bit of lift height shouldn't be a concern anyway OP better suited for 37's definitely because of it's size and strength. I've always wanted to build a full width 8.8 and D44 combo, but ended up going bigger instead. it's just an axle I really enjoyed abusing without a second thought. it works great on 35's, just be prepared to get hung up on it on it playing in rock gardens
I have hd offroad no lift shackle boxes going on, 1" shackle and a 5" pack. I'm hoping for exactly 5.5 if not lower after a gas skid and rear tire carrier and wearing in. If not I can just fiddle with the leafs.

Would I get hung up more so than 33" with the 8.25? I fell like with 35's on the 8.8 it'd be about the same..

I like that the 8.8 can potentially handle a bigger tire, so if/when that time comes I could just worry about the front. But plans for the next say 5-6 years are to stay on 35's.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i run an xj44 locked with 36 inch bias ply iroks and have been running strong for the last 15 or so years.

i bought a spare xj44 just in case this one broke, but it's still just sitting there. i will put it in one of my other xj's.

i also have a 44/9 matched combo i was gonna upgrade to eventually, but again, nothing wrong with the hp30/xj44 so far.

the 8.8 is a pretty strong axle and a popular upgrade (mostly in tj's tho), but they are a c-clip axle. i know they have discs that will hold the axle in, but if one does break, the disc setup will get destroyed.

my vote is xj44, but at 450, that sounds pricey. i bought both mine for 100 bux each with driveshafts. they do average around 250 in my area.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caged
i run an xj44 locked with 36 inch bias ply iroks and have been running strong for the last 15 or so years.

i bought a spare xj44 just in case this one broke, but it's still just sitting there. i will put it in one of my other xj's.

i also have a 44/9 matched combo i was gonna upgrade to eventually, but again, nothing wrong with the hp30/xj44 so far.

the 8.8 is a pretty strong axle and a popular upgrade (mostly in tj's tho), but they are a c-clip axle. i know they have discs that will hold the axle in, but if one does break, the disc setup will get destroyed.

my vote is xj44, but at 450, that sounds pricey. i bought both mine for 100 bux each with driveshafts. they do average around 250 in my area.
I think my decision would be made already if they were $100 around here. Want to ship one haha? Still be cheaper I'm sure..

From my understanding I would have to snap that 31sp shaft to worry about c clips, and I haven't read too many people doing that in all the threads I read, I can understand peoples hate for c clips while working on an axle, but strength wise from my reading I don't see it as a fault. Also, I haven't experienced an axle shaft break, but from videos I've seen of it happening, c clips or not, you'll still be opening the diff to any pieces out, all that really matters is getting out of wherever you are to do that. If it becomes a prob there are kits that eliminate the clips I believe.

$100 for axle
$125 for ruff stuff kit, maybe cheaper if I can salvage some parts
$150-200 misc brake parts(possibly new rotors, pads, MORE e brake cables if I get lazy, etc)
$40 for ubolt yoke instead of flange since it's getting regeared
$100 welding, maybe, might have a friend do it with a flux core, unless you think it better I take it to someone with a mig

$450 for axle
$200-400 chromo shafts (one has some twists from the previous owners locker)
$100-400 disc brakes (can be done cheap with jy parts or buy a kit)
-$Selling stock carrier
-$Selling whatever 4:56 gears come with it

what I'm looking at as it stands now, prob forgetting a few things, either one will be regeared and have a locker, so same price for both more or less.

I wish the 44 was closer, I'd get it for his asking price of $300 and be done, but I'm not driving 10hrs round trip for it, and freight shipping is $120-140.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...y-Ford-8.8-Kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me choose an axle!