Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat prevention?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default heat prevention?

I'm taking my engine to be rebuilt.
It is the closed system renix that has had overheating issues since I've gotten it with 50k.
Because I'm tired of cars overheating, I'm now looking into every way possible to keep the engine cool.
I now have an aluminum 3 row radiator and everything to convert to open system.
Now that everything is apart, I'm getting **** about things and been looking into heat wraps because the intake and exhaust are weaved together.
Also I got a pacesetter header and I will paint it with ceramic coating and maybe wrap it.
From what I've read, you want to put the heat wrap on the part that is hot(like header)...but also I've read about wrap that you put on the part that you want to keep cool(intake).
And then I see that people put wrap on the fuels rails on other cars to keep the fuel temp low even though there is minimal improvement.
I've even seen people say to keep aluminum unwrapped to let heat escape.
Also we have a heat shield between the fuel rail and intake manifold...I'm thinking about painting or sticking a wrap to.
I'm curious about the different heat solutions, in terms of wrap or coatings, that other 4.0 owners have done or think should be done.

Thanks,
-Chris
Old 09-12-2016, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

I have had headers "Jet Hot" coated for the last 16 yrs. to help control heat and the life of the header. This process has been used on a lot of things by racers for many years.

One thing I did find out in the early 70's were wrapping headers did keep the heat down but caused the header to rust after even a few months on race cars and life of the header was only about 2 yrs.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Jet hot has a proprietary process different than standard ceramic based powdercoats. Cerakote is also supposed to be good.

Highly recommended - I wouldn't even bother wrapping the header if you get one ceramic coated.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

How hot does it run?The 4.0 runs hotter then most other engines.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:55 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

I will third for NOT wrapping the headers. That stuff is a straight mess. Get a SS ceramic coated header, and save the hassle.

I got a 4.6 stroker for my jeep, and it had a Borla heat wrapped header on it. The wrap was deteriorating, and everything underneath was rusty, and the collectors were cracked. After only 10K miles on the build. Wrap=JUNK

Here's what I went with:

http://gibsonperformance.com/i-22731...-gp400s-c.html
Old 09-13-2016, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

You could have the header and intake manifold ceramic coated,If you live in a big city you probably have one local.Like said jet hot is the best but you have to ship your parts out and wait which is cool but if you need your jeep daily not the best idea.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
How hot does it run?The 4.0 runs hotter then most other engines.
It just has overheating problems and needs refreshed. Just want to keep it cool with the bigger tires and hard driving.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:13 AM

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm staying away from the wrap. I didn't buy a pre coated header because I'm making my own y pipe to run the exhaust on the driver side.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:36 AM
CF Veteran

If you gear it to match the tire size the engine will run happier.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
I will third for NOT wrapping the headers. That stuff is a straight mess. Get a SS ceramic coated header, and save the hassle.

I got a 4.6 stroker for my jeep, and it had a Borla heat wrapped header on it. The wrap was deteriorating, and everything underneath was rusty, and the collectors were cracked. After only 10K miles on the build. Wrap=JUNK

Here's what I went with:

http://gibsonperformance.com/i-22731...-gp400s-c.html
Dang I just looked at this header. I should have went with a short one like this. I just bought the pacesetter that is double to the y pipe. And the y pipe is welded to the s pipe. Oh well I'll still have to make my own exhaust anyway
Old 09-13-2016, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

All ceramic coated headers are not created equal that is why I buy the headers I want and send them to Jet Hot. A lot of the stuff is junk they are using for coating on the pre coated ones, Jet Hot lasts for many years on new ones.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Fred you are right about jet hot lasting a long time,I have had a set of their headers i use to run on my mustang hanging on my garage wall for years and they still look new in a unheated garage on a wooden wall.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by manche_mane
I'm taking my engine to be rebuilt.
It is the closed system renix that has had overheating issues since I've gotten it with 50k.
Because I'm tired of cars overheating, I'm now looking into every way possible to keep the engine cool.
I now have an aluminum 3 row radiator and everything to convert to open system.
Now that everything is apart, I'm getting **** about things and been looking into heat wraps because the intake and exhaust are weaved together.
Also I got a pacesetter header and I will paint it with ceramic coating and maybe wrap it.
From what I've read, you want to put the heat wrap on the part that is hot(like header)...but also I've read about wrap that you put on the part that you want to keep cool(intake).
And then I see that people put wrap on the fuels rails on other cars to keep the fuel temp low even though there is minimal improvement.
I've even seen people say to keep aluminum unwrapped to let heat escape.
Also we have a heat shield between the fuel rail and intake manifold...I'm thinking about painting or sticking a wrap to.
I'm curious about the different heat solutions, in terms of wrap or coatings, that other 4.0 owners have done or think should be done.

Thanks,
-Chris
I know this is an old thread but somebody may read this for their rig. Stay away from Jet-Hot. Once they have your parts you'll get a call saying they need to charge more for some reason. You either pay the upcharge or eat the shipping which is usually just under the upcharge. I had my parts installed for about eight months on my daily driver and then noticed discoloration and flaking on the parts. When I contacted their "warranty" department they explained that my daily driver must be running at over 1200 degrees on the exhaust, it was probably because I live in Colorado and that they've never in their 18 years of "experience" heard of a distributorless ignition. They did let me know if I paid the shipping to send my parts back they'd do the correct coating at 50% off even though the coating I paid for was the one they recommended... Steer clear of Jet-Hot! Look at all of their great reviews they have posted on their website, look at some of the other review sites where their employees talk about working there and then look at actual reviews on forums where customers that have dealt with them are talking.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:40 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

I too will respond to this old thread.

My Gibson headers are still effing perfect. Can't recommend them enough. Eight years later from the last post...my stroker and my headers are strong AF
Old 04-07-2024, 05:45 AM

Received 252 Likes on 212 Posts
Year: 1994

I second the ceramic coated version of the Gibson header I've gotten it hot many a time pulling a 3k lb pontoon boat up a driveway snaking along the side of a PA "mountain". Years of trouble free service in the Salt Belt, still looks great despite never touching it, would definitely recommend...

Quick Reply: heat prevention?