Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Headlight harness

Hi, new member, first time post. I apologize if this isn't the correct message board.

I always wanted an XJ, but never had one. Luckily for my 16 year old son, he wanted an XJ, so I got him one. I think I got a screaming deal too. It's a 92.

So anyway, I am not a mechanic by any means however I am not afraid to try simple things. The headlights are flickering. I have done the standard google research and learned that you can temporarily fix this with a, (described as harder than it looks) replacement of the switch. Or, a long term solution of replacing the wiring harness.

So here is my question. I've read a lot about the Putco harness featured here:
Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting H4 100W Heavy Duty Wiring Harness and Relay: Automotive Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting H4 100W Heavy Duty Wiring Harness and Relay: Automotive

But recently, read some threads that there is one on ebay that is not only cheaper, but has more reliable relays. I believe this is the one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-H4-Headl...RTFaJF&vxp=mtr

Anyway, I want to get this ordered this morning, so I can install it this weekend. Can anyone tell me which one to order? Or perhaps one I didn't list at all?

Thanks very much. Sorry if this is on the wrong board.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:53 AM

Actually this is the one I was wanting to get. Ships within the US so I can get it faster. What do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...9Trseb&vxp=mtr
Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by Kinch
Actually this is the one I was wanting to get. Ships within the US so I can get it faster. What do you guys think?

That is the one I switched my Putco out for and it works absolutely great and if I Relay ever goes out, $5 at any auto parts store.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:04 AM

Well that is the one I ordered. Unfortunately, delivery estimation to Idaho is Monday. Was hoping to get it by the weekend so I could install on Saturday or Sunday with my kid. Us amateurs take some time figuring out these simple tasks.

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Well that is the one I ordered. Unfortunately, delivery estimation to Idaho is Monday. Was hoping to get it by the weekend so I could install on Saturday or Sunday with my kid. Us amateurs take some time figuring out these simple tasks.

Thanks for the response.
Yeah not problem man. Takes about the time to remove the grill and headlights to install. Just make sure you mount the grounds to a good piece of metal.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:18 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Cylinder

It says it is not compatible with a 98 XJ is that because of the H$ upgrade that should be done at the same time?
Old 05-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Pelagius
It says it is not compatible with a 98 XJ is that because of the H$ upgrade that should be done at the same time?
It says that because it's a generic harness that is compatible with hundreds, maybe thousands of different car models, and they can't list them all. You do not have to do an H4 upgrade at the same time. The harness alone will increase the effectiveness of your existing sealed beams and will help protect your headlight switch from damage.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Same one I got and is way nicer quality than the Putco harness. The only knock on it are the relays -- they aren't horrible, but they aren't weatherproof. Either replace them or just make sure to mount them somewhere dry.