Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight delay module

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1998 4.0 242
Default Headlight delay module

Searched and searched but can’t seem to find the right answer. I installed some new housings with a high/low HID kit on my 96 Cherokee. They work fine until you turn the Jeep off then they stay on for a little then start flickering and a clicking noise comes from the dash. Read about the delay module and some just say unplug it. I unplugged it and it just made the problem worse. Right now I have the fuse out and the module plugged back in but they only work if I turn the lights on first then start the Jeep and without the fuse I don’t have a horn. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Bypass the module but leave it plugged in? Let me know. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Can you describe "made the problem worse"?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 1998 4.0 242

It was a louder ticking noise and the lights flickered worse. Thanks for the help but I ended up removing the HID kit after trying a harness and still not working correctly. I’m using the regular h4 bulbs and everything works like it should. The h4 bulbs are brighter than my old sealed beams. I do HID kits at my tint shop and I swear the only cars I ever have issues with are Chryslers.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Ha ha ok. If you removed that module then your headlights would not stay on after jeep was turned off. More likely you pulled the wrong one. The rear window defroster looks identical. I say this because you say it was clicking. If it was removed there would have been no clicking and the lights would go out with the key, not remain on