Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head unit / amp question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Head unit / amp question

I picked up my 96 xj about 3 weeks ago, and now that I have the bigger issues out of the way for now, I want to get some tunes working in it. The last owner bought it from his neighbor who was moving, and he just parked it until he decided he wasn't going to get around to fixing it up. Owner #1 has moved away and owner #2 doesn't really now anything about it.

My problem is owner #1 put an after market JVC head unit in. Its a nice unit, but I can't get any sound from any of the speakers. My thought is that he had an amp hooked up to it, but took it when he sold the jeep to owner #2. I'm no expert in stereo wiring, but from what I can tell, it is hooked up correctly, but I can't even get any of the speakers to crackle with the old .9 volt battery trick. I suppose all the speakers could be bad, but that really seems unlikely to me. But if there were originally an amp hooked up with the head unit, I'm thinking I would have to splice those speaker leads that were run to it.

So my question is, where would you normally hide an amp in an XJ? I've checked under the back seat, under both front seats, and in the cargo area. I can't find anything. Guess I can always rip the carpet up to see where things are running, but was just wondering if there was a common place to hide an amp up under the dash or somewhere I'm not even thinking about.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L Stroker
Default Head unit / amp question

I can't explain the rear speakers, however both of my front door speakers had shorts in the flexible boots between the a-pillar and door. Previous owner just ran new wires through the boots, but you could pull the boots out and fix the shorts. As for sub locations, rear passenger side behind the tire under the side window. I was going to put mine under the drivers seat, but decided I didn't need one.

P.S. If he was using an amp, speakers may be hooked to preamp plugs off the amp rather than directly behind the stereo. Pull the door panel and see if he is still using the factory harness or if he has reran all new wires.

Last edited by Cerveja; 02-02-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Cerveja
I can't explain the rear speakers, however both of my front door speakers had shorts in the flexible boots between the a-pillar and door. Previous owner just ran new wires through the boots, but you could pull the boots out and fix the shorts. As for sub locations, rear passenger side behind the tire under the side window. I was going to put mine under the drivers seat, but decided I didn't need one.

P.S. If he was using an amp, speakers may be hooked to preamp plugs off the amp rather than directly behind the stereo. Pull the door panel and see if he is still using the factory harness or if he has reran all new wires.

Thanks for the input. Had some time this afternoon to pull the radio and really got a chance to crawl up in there. Found one of the rear speaker wires that had been frayed and was grounding out on the frame. Don't know why that would have caused both rear speakers not to work, but as soon as I fixed that short, things began to work. Both front speakers are shorted out in those rubber boots, but only had time to fix one of them today... but at least I've got some decent sound from the back until I can fix up the other side.