Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hack n Tap with front DS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hack n Tap with front DS

Hey guys,

I did a 2.5" lift on my rear, and I bought the Hack n Tap from IRO. I want to run the same shaft, so I can carry 1 spare on the trail. Also, Will be going up in lift, and already experience some vibs at heavy throttle.

I have a spare front DS from a 2001 XJ, and have replaced the U-Joints.

The install instructions for the HnT say will work for XJ's with 4.5-8" of lift. "all other lift heights will require custom length double cardan driveshaft". I see lots of posts asking if this setup will work for X" of lift, but its always bigger. Does this work on a small lift?

**TLDR** - can I use Hack n Tap with Front XJ DS with only 2.5" lift or will the shaft be too long?

Last edited by g1teg; 11-16-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

Can't answer your question but you can buy degree shims and probably get rid of your vibes. Then when you go to more lift you can install the hack in tap with the stock front shaft. When you do the hack in tap you'll need the shims anyways to correct pinion angle. The big part of the shims goes towards the front leaf springs with no hack in tap/SYE pointing the pinion down. And with hack in tap/SYE it go's to the back pointing the pinion up. Shims are $20-30. 4° should be about right. You'll need longer u bolts to use them which run $30-40

Last edited by MoparNJeep; 11-17-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When you go with a higher lift then you use adj. U/L Control Arms to take care of the front.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
When you go with a higher lift then you use adj. U/L Control Arms to take care of the front.
I have the JKS J-Axis upper and lower CA's already. I bought a parts jeep for $200 and it had a lot of aftermarket parts, including those, which was a score!

I'm not sure how much higher I am going to go, but want to start with using the Front DS in place of the rear, with the SYE. I think I just have to take it apart and measure!

I dont really want to do shims for a short term fix, especially since it seems people really have to play around to get the correct angles to eliminate vibes.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

FYI I just installed a SYE with a stock front DS in the rear. Negative lift as the springs are sagging, length of driveshaft works and will be good for my planned 3" lift, maybe more. I'm not sure what the working range of the stock front DS is. I can measure the length of the SYE from transfer case to yoke if this helps you. If your HnT is close to the length of the SYE, you're fine with the 2.5" lift.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ElMartillo
FYI I just installed a SYE with a stock front DS in the rear. Negative lift as the springs are sagging, length of driveshaft works and will be good for my planned 3" lift, maybe more. I'm not sure what the working range of the stock front DS is. I can measure the length of the SYE from transfer case to yoke if this helps you. If your HnT is close to the length of the SYE, you're fine with the 2.5" lift.
Awesome, Thanks for the info!

Ill be taking my shaft out and measuring. I figure its the only way to be sure. I was hoping someone had done the IRO HnT SYE in my configuration and could confirm, but no luck.

Ill post the results here when Im done for the next guy