Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an H4 headlight an hid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Is an H4 headlight an hid?

I was looking at these on quadratec and i cant figure out if these are hids or what? http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_501.htm
Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7

No there just a halogen bulb. If you want hid go on eBay they sell kits that will come with everything you need. But the kit your looking at is a good upgrade but not as bright as hid's
Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ASNFMOM
No there just a halogen bulb. If you want hid go on eBay they sell kits that will come with everything you need. But the kit your looking at is a good upgrade but not as bright as hid's
ok thanks for the help i will look into some hids
Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Year: 1989 Base
Engine: 4.0L "Power Tech"

Greets: Must've spent a hundred hours on the net trying to figure out a better headlight system than stock types. Listen, save yourself some trouble and click on this link:http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html Why mess around? These are CIBIE lamps with really good crystal lense dispersions, and use H-4 Osram bulbs. Expensive, perhaps, but wow! HID blinds others often,(me, lol), and they--like moths to a flame, could head-end on you if'in you forget to dim, etc. If you are considering long range, or wide aux. lights, or anything else, consider this: Can I convert my halogen headlamps to HID? http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...s/Hid/HID.html Hope this all helps! Other than the aforementioned.., just drive during daylight!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Don't get HIDs. I had some and I can tell you oncoming traffic will hate you. I switched back to stock lighting for a while. But then I got a heavy-duty headlight harness (from LMC Truck's website) and Autopal headlight housings and bulbs (from EBAY). I am very happy with my light output and I don't blind oncoming traffic.

Here's what my headlights look like now:
Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Year: 1989 Base
Engine: 4.0L "Power Tech"

Great upper limit cut-off on those lights.., lol, no need to light up the trees like stockers.., better to have the lights light up the road far ahead, and sides. Problem for me, is I have a box of CIBIE stuff, including HD wiring harness all ready for installation, but I have no place to do it right now, lol, it's minus 14 degrees f., windy, and since there are no lobes on the glass lenses, no way can they be aimed with gauge.., I must find a level spot 20 feet from a wall and do it old school, preferably indoors, with a 3 inch drop below normal marks in order to properly aim them.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:51 PM

Year: '96
Engine: 4.0 HO

I just purchased the Rampage set up last night, hopefully when they get in and installed I can take some pics and post them.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 PM

thanks for everyones input i think i will go with the rampage set up
Old 02-13-2011, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

"H4" is the industry-standard designator for a single bulb (two-lamp system) that may be replaced at the back of the housing. Electrical connexion are the same as the two-lamp sealed beam headlamps, which is why it's a common replacement (in this regard, it is not to be confused with the incompatible 9004 or 9007 halogen envelope.)

H4 bulbs are invariably halogen-gas filled for longer life and purer light.

The HID lamps (High Intensity Discharge - usually an arc lamp) typically use the designator "D2S" - although "D1S" and "D2R" are both in use.

The type designator for a lamp bulb fulfils a similar function to the BCI group number for a battery - in that single, simple number, you will get the physical size and shape of the bulb, the operating voltage (typically,) whether the bulb is standard incadescent or halogen gas-filled, single or dual filament, et al.

I'm not overly fond of HID lamps - they're too blue. I find I get better results using Super White or Yellow Star halogens - but I'm in foul weather a lot more, and YMMV.